The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I view this as, Benning feels that Lind is ready for the NHL and that he needed to make room for him. I believe Gaudette also had arbitration rights this coming summer, whereas Highmore is signed at a nice cap friendly rate of 725k for another season.

Highmore has potential, as does Gaudette. Will see how it plays out, but I think this is just making room for someone else to move up. 

You can just waive Gaudette to make space, you don’t need to take on a contract for a guys that is worse than the players on the waiver wire.

Upside at 25 for an undersized 4th liner who hasn’t provided significant offence since Junior is just not there.

Unless we get evidence that the Gaudettes broke protocol and gave the whole team covid, this feels like JB knows his getting fired soon and sabotaging and setting the firm on fire on his way out. 

• RoughGame 1
1 minute ago, stawns said:

not likely.  This is a dressing room thing, almost guaranteed

Could be, but Gaudette didn't seem to fit in too well on C so maybe he wasn't in their future plans anyways going forward.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

This is brutal.  Am I missing something?  Traded a C/W with decent size/potential for a C/W with poor size/potential.  

Who left JB with the phone again?

Highmore had a pretty solid playoffs with the Hawks last year and is more of a legit bottom 6 fwd thsan Gaud, whio clearly was not.  Still, pretty pbvious to me why this move was made and made so fast

• Vintage 1
1 minute ago, stawns said:

to be fair, there's pretty damning video evidence that his wife, at least, wasn't taking it seriously.  Not like there's no smoke here at all

There is a bit of a feedback loop happening here on this thread right now.  I think at this point we are all hoping it was a necessary move and not a fair trade here.

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

there was a reasonable chance the Canucks would protect Gaudette if they didn't trade him. 

I would hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Just now, Spoosh said:

Could be, but Gaudette didn't seem to fit in too well on C so maybe he wasn't in their future plans anyways going forward.

I'd say that's part of it.  He was never going to get into the top 6 Cman spot and he's just not good enough, defensively, to play a bottom 6 cman role

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

There is a bit of a feedback loop happening here on this thread right now.  I think at this point we are all hoping it was a necessary move and not a fair trade here.

I think we should wait and see what HIghmore plays like.  Sounds like he's a solid bottom 6 player with a strong motor and good physicality

• Thanks 1
Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Apparently, Canucks scouts said that Matthew Highmore's upside is high and more than Gaudette's. That's great - so now we're trading for players based on their last name.

lololol

More believable than some theories here though. 

1 minute ago, Spoosh said:

If Tyler Madden, who also was not in the Canucsk future plans, and a pick got Toffoli, Gaudette should have gotten something way more. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Thank you Jim Benning, doing a good thing for a player that was going to get continually abused by many so called fans and the media.

Would have been nothing but "Gaudette got the team sick" for the next few years. Given the orginizations support for mental health initiatives, not surprising at all.

Who nees that type of b.s. in their life.

Good guy thing to do .

Well done J.B.

• Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1

Assets to trade, Sutter, Benn, Edler. 

Benning: I'm going to trade a young center with a small salary, he just doesn't have the intangibles I value.

I really dislike Benning.