The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

13 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yeah i think Torts took over the next season and just didn't like Schroeder, and his career just went downhill from there. He looked decent in his few games here. I call BS on anyone that wasn't excited on having Schroeder on the team. People were just going nuts on how he fell on our lap, that guy was mocked at picks between 6-15

I have never been a fan of players that "Dropped" 

how many have performed above their draft possition to make the "Passing " teams sad?

I think a player drops because the GMs see something they don't like or just don't trust

In Schroeder's class, it was not a great year but 9 or the next 40 selected have played at least 500 games

7 hours ago, lmm said:

I have never been a fan of players that "Dropped" 

how many have performed above their draft possition to make the "Passing " teams sad?

I think a player drops because the GMs see something they don't like or just don't trust

In Schroeder's class, it was not a great year but 9 or the next 40 selected have played at least 500 games

Point, Huberdeau, Fowler all dropped and have turned out good. That’s just off the top of my head. 

• Huggy Bear 1

20 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

A lot of teams are finding out that many young players are becoming increasingly polished earlier. They still need development of course but the old model of x number of years in the AHL or other develoment leagues is quickly changing. 

The Canucks should be taking a silver lining approach to this harrowing and intense rest of the year schedule. They should be rotating many of their young players into games and trying them in different roles to see what they might have available for next year. This year is lost anyway.

Unfortunately we have a GM under a lot of scrutiny and a lame duck head coach without a contract extension. Benning said (EDIT: I think this may actually have been Green who said this) they are going to be focusing on trying to win games the rest of the way, which is basically saying they will be going with the status quo and a more veteran lineup like Green prefers.

I think the team would be better served giving young guys looks now in positions of responsibility instead with winning being the secondary goal. But they won't.

As long as the playoffs are mathematically within reach, every coach in the league will play to win. This is proffesional sports, the NHL is not a development league. To expect the coaching staff to start "experimenting" at this stage is naive, and would be a slap in the face to the core players on this team who are giving their all to try to be successful. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, ‹(•¿•)› said:

As long as the playoffs are mathematically within reach, every coach in the league will play to win. This is proffesional sports, the NHL is not a development league. To expect the coaching staff to start "experimenting" at this stage is naive, and would be a slap in the face to the core players on this team who are giving their all to try to be successful. 

All teams try to win. What I mean is desperate coaches and management tend to overplay veterans in those scenarios far more on the antiquated notion that young players can't step in and do the job as well as a veteran. That is far less true now than it used to be.

But the NHL is just as much a development league as any other league. Otherwise players who make it to the NHL would all already be perfect players not in need of coaching.

The core players will still try to be successful. Its not a slap in their face at all to experiment with young players to hopefully help them grow into roles on the team next year. When the only improvement you can expect as a cap strapped team is young players into your lineup its probably more of an insult to the core players to not be doing everything you can to see what they have to give. Especially when you have to play this many games in this short period of time.

No longer have any further time for Benning.

Maybe Gaudette wasn't performing as well as expected, but he was a hell of a lot better than the mope Benning got in return.

And that 'Trade a 4th rounder for a 5th rounder and get a mope as extra' trade doesn't make any sense to me either.

If Benning wanted a D to go to the expansion draft, he could have picked up one on waivers earlier for nothing.

This is the year the Canucks are going to finish in the toilet... this is the year to keep your 4th rounder... it might get you something.

Now I'm ready to see a full house cleaning... Benning, Green, Baumgartner, everyone but Ian Clarke.

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Did you ever have any time for Benning? All I've ever seen you post was anti-Benning trash, like this one.

You are so full of it that it comes out your mouth.

I supported Benning on multiple occasions right up to the end of last year.

• RoughGame 1

23 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

A lot of teams are finding out that many young players are becoming increasingly polished earlier. They still need development of course but the old model of x number of years in the AHL or other develoment leagues is quickly changing. 

The Canucks should be taking a silver lining approach to this harrowing and intense rest of the year schedule. They should be rotating many of their young players into games and trying them in different roles to see what they might have available for next year. This year is lost anyway.

Unfortunately we have a GM under a lot of scrutiny and a lame duck head coach without a contract extension. Benning said (EDIT: I think this may actually have been Green who said this) they are going to be focusing on trying to win games the rest of the way, which is basically saying they will be going with the status quo and a more veteran lineup like Green prefers.

I think the team would be better served giving young guys looks now in positions of responsibility instead with winning being the secondary goal. But they won't.

Been saying the samething for awhile now, ever since the fake playoff push was killed off by our last series with Habs & Jets; it would had been nice to play the rookies & showcase the future in preparation for next year but Green won't do it cause he is a lame duck coach and will not go with someone he is doesn't trust/know.   Although, despite going with a veteran line up the team still struggles to win without a stellar play from a goalie.

Also, the mentoring approach is not necessary with the way these players are being managed from the time they start playing till they retire.  So many wasted cap for support type players for mentoring reasons - hindsight.

Other teams like the Habs & Avs, are a few teams that seems to recognize a down year and seems to take advantage of the situation by showcasing the future, playing the rookies in preparation for the future and selling off assets for the incoming draft.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So you bandwagon is what you say? Puhleeze.

Not sure that is bandwagonning. 
You go in hopeful but as the mistakes pile up you get disillusioned. 
it is a very fair argument that Benning’s negatives have outweighed his positive.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Not sure that is bandwagonning. 
You go in hopeful but as the mistakes pile up you get disillusioned. 
it is a very fair argument that Benning’s negatives have outweighed his positive.

You misinterpreted me.

It's one thing to be constructively criticizing an individual. It's another to go full buzzsaw.  His emotion was SO over the top that he predicted (wrongly) that Vancouver had just handed Calgary the cup. Pay attention pls.

46 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You misinterpreted me.

It's one thing to be constructively criticizing an individual. It's another to go full buzzsaw.  His emotion was SO over the top that he predicted (wrongly) that Vancouver had just handed Calgary the cup. Pay attention pls.

That was/is still pretty funny :lol:

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Been saying the samething for awhile now, ever since the fake playoff push was killed off by our last series with Habs & Jets; it would had been nice to play the rookies & showcase the future in preparation for next year but Green won't do it cause he is a lame duck coach and will not go with someone he is doesn't trust/know.   Although, despite going with a veteran line up the team still struggles to win without a stellar play from a goalie.

Also, the mentoring approach is not necessary with the way these players are being managed from the time they start playing till they retire.  So many wasted cap for support type players for mentoring reasons - hindsight.

Other teams like the Habs & Avs, are a few teams that seems to recognize a down year and seems to take advantage of the situation by showcasing the future, playing the rookies in preparation for the future and selling off assets for the incoming draft.   

You do realize that Avs were pretty bad for a few years right?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

30 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Gaudette with his first of many points upcoming with the Hawks

I wouldn't worry too much about the old Gaudner

He started fast in Vancouver last year when nobody knew who he was, then dried up when he started to garner attention

He'll get a few points in Chi-town but nothing to get upset about

Probably ends up getting traded for Vinnie Hinastrozza at some point

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

I heard he’s a disease in the locker room

just fro clairification

is it worse to be a "LOcker room Cancer" or is it worse to be a "Locker room COVID"

Inquiring minds want to know

I figure its a matter of degrees