The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

my metaphor is not perfect i agree.

im thinking there is about  25 players that were pretty close to gaudette, who didnt shed a tear when he was traded.

This is just conjecture though. 

No one knows truly what the behind the scenes dynamics were. There could have been reasons we dont see for sure. But to rely on them as fact is not really a solid base. Its just another attempt to vilify the player and exonerate the gm.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This actually highlights your issue.

No one realistically should have expected Gaudette to be the first one. And no one should see him now as the second one.

someone with potential to grow? and someone whose done the best they could ?

i think your problem is you have a low meme literacy level.

This is just conjecture though. 

No one knows truly what the behind the scenes dynamics were. There could have been reasons we dont see for sure. But to rely on them as fact is not really a solid base. Its just another attempt to vilify the player and exonerate the gm.

ok.

ever here the term “If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck!”

• Cheers 1

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

someone with potential to grow? and someone whose done the best they could ?

i think your problem is you have a low meme literacy level.

Haha i admit memes are not my thing. I saw that as "the sky is the limit" vs "absolutely no potential to grow at all".

WhichI think is absolutely flawed as an evaluation of a 5th round pick.

• Cheers 1

Haha i admit memes are not my thing. I saw that as "the sky is the limit" vs "absolutely no potential to grow at all".

WhichI think is absolutely flawed as an evaluation of a 5th round pick.

listen, im not saying gaudette was traded because he doesn't have potential. i'm also not saying he was traded for his reported off ice behavior.  I'm also not saying he was traded because he is having a messed up year and playoffs.  im also not  saying he  was traded because maybe his teammates might not be ecstatic with him right now.

im saying he was traded for a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and also because he brags about how good he is at celebrating goals.

but what doi know about potential? I watered a dead plant for 2 weeks after a vacation, but it didnt come back to life

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Sort of like the rumors that the Canucks put dollars and acquiescence to the nhl ahead of their own players and their families safety?

canucks put dollars to the nhl?

now who is spreading conjecture? besides the point arewe not talking about gaudette trade? 

Therookieabc GIF by ABC Network

39 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

canucks put dollars to the nhl?

now who is spreading conjecture? besides the point arewe not talking about gaudette trade? 

Therookieabc GIF by ABC Network

You seem ready to rely on unsubstantiated rumors about Gaudette behind the scenes as fact to justify this move. Thats unfair and simply designed to soften the blow of the sell low strategy.

Wouldn't it be the same thing to rely on unconfirmed but reported statements that the players are pissed at Benning and the Canucks for not communicating about the return to play dynamics and that prioritizing making money and giving in to the nhl is what the Canucks did?

56 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

listen, im not saying gaudette was traded because he doesn't have potential. i'm also not saying he was traded for his reported off ice behavior.  I'm also not saying he was traded because he is having a messed up year and playoffs.  im also not  saying he  was traded because maybe his teammates might not be ecstatic with him right now.

im saying he was traded for a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and also because he brags about how good he is at celebrating goals.

but what doi know about potential? I watered a dead plant for 2 weeks after a vacation, but it didnt come back to life

The reality is that no one really knows the behind the scenes stuff. My experience in knowing and dealing with a lot of pro athletes over the years is that in a great many cases some combination of behind the scenes factors generally plays a part. 

That doesn't mean a player is a cancer, hated by his teammates, etc. because a GM trades him when his value is low. That simply has not been proven to any degree about Gaudette at this point. Maybe stuff comes out as time goes on that proves some of this stuff (and I expect the Canucks will ensure it does especially if this trade continues to not look great on the surface).

Benning has created serious cap peoblems. Its realistic to think that getting rid of an easier player to trade for some cap relief also played a role in the decision.

Gaudette would not have made it through waivers imo. It would not surprise me if that was the 1st choice for him if they thought he would pass through.

Gaudette can put up points if being put in an inflated situation like pp2 last year or with the right line mates. Is that enough to keep him in the NHL with all his other shortcomings? I don't think so but time will tell.

What I know is:

1) GMJB really wanted to get rid of him, that's a fact since a) we're selling low b) Benning said himself he didn't want to ship out players at the deadline due to covid

2) Personally I just want to be rid of him, he's just not a fit personality wise of playing wise, if Highmore or Bowey don't pan out then so be it, let's move on, but I hope at least one of them do

• Cheers 2

On 4/19/2021 at 12:34 PM, Dazzle said:

You misinterpreted me.

It's one thing to be constructively criticizing an individual. It's another to go full buzzsaw.  His emotion was SO over the top that he predicted (wrongly) that Vancouver had just handed Calgary the cup. Pay attention pls.

You are full of it.

My post which you love to return to was a question... but you obviously have problems understanding grammar.

It asked if Calgary's signings of Markstrom and Tanev would make them a Cup contender... it did not say they would be.

You are desperate to show what a stud you are so you twist the meaning... but that doesn't mean you are correct.

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

You are full of it.

My post which you love to return to was a question... but you obviously have problems understanding grammar.

It asked if Calgary's signings of Markstrom and Tanev would make them a Cup contender... it did not say they would be.

You are desperate to show what a stud you are so you twist the meaning... but that doesn't mean you are correct.

I don't need to be "desperate" to show anything.

This is how stupid your post was. And how you fail to address why Calgary is not only doing worse than what I pointed out months ago: here:

Canucks.png

But now, they're here:

image.thumb.png.61c1da0972fb9cbd8e96fe25df47fb04.png

So Buzzsaw, your "Has Benning singlehandled turned Calgary into a cup contender?" thread reflects just how irrational you are.

No need to shift goalposts like you're doing. You were dead wrong, and it hasn't gotten any better.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:49 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

With the best % record in their division, Jacob Markstrom sitting at a goals against of 1.99 and Chris Tanev playing solidly you have to think Calgary has significantly improved their team defense... one of the weaker points on last year's team.

Even Josh Leivo looks not too bad as a secondary player who can slot in where needed.

Goaltending was a problem with all their previous playoff appearances, but with Markstrom signed for the longterm, you have to wonder if this team can take its next step.

All thanks to Jim Bennings decisions.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1