The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

We can't afford secondary scoring because of cap space.  If Gaudette played well around talent, then he should've been put in that situation.  Just like last year.  A lot of eyes will be on Aquaman if some of the personnel don't get fired this summer.

Yeah. Most of our cap problems will be solved by the following off-season season after this one. Still that's another year of grinding it out and we'll likely be going through learning curves with our youngsters. Could be another down year where we're picking high.

IMO the team needs a solid 3rd line C, a dynamic offensive RW and a top 4 RD in order to take that next big step. All other spots should be given to youngsters.

The Gaudette trade was shortsighted, desperation move which had no logic.

Gaudette has 5 points in four games... and is +2... playing on Chicago's third line.

HIghmore has zero points and and is -2... despite being gifted top six time.

This trade is the cap on a series of trade/pickup failures this year.

What Benning was thinking is a mystery.

Sure Gaudette wasn't having a good season, but when considering his past record, it seems a little hasty to throw him to the dogs on the basis of one bad season.

The fact is, like the rest of the under-performing team, the problem is not the players, its the coaching and the management which is the problem.

This is what I feared... Benning panics and squanders his original good picks because their development has been botched by Green.

The sooner Green and Benning are gone, the better.

Let's just hope more damage isn't done while they remain in positions of power.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Mathew Highmore has 22.9%  O zone starts with Vancouver. Adam Gaudette has 75% O zone starts with Chicago.

Not much extra room on Chicago's roster next season. Gaudette will be competing with other young players for the final spot(s).

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Mathew Highmore has 22.9%  O zone starts with Vancouver. Adam Gaudette has 75% O zone starts with Chicago.

Not much extra room on Chicago's roster next season. Gaudette will be competing with other young players for the final spot(s).

oh I see, that's why Ovechkin scores more than Sutter, he also have more O zone starts... 

/facepalm. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm guessing there's a greater chance the Hawks will protect Gaudette in the expansion draft (notice I said *chance*).  I'd say there's a zero chance the Canucks will protect Highmore.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah. Most of our cap problems will be solved by the following off-season season after this one. Still that's another year of grinding it out and we'll likely be going through learning curves with our youngsters. Could be another down year where we're picking high.

IMO the team needs a solid 3rd line C, a dynamic offensive RW and a top 4 RD in order to take that next big step. All other spots should be given to youngsters.

That's not good enough.  Every other Canadian team has either rebuilt or re-tooled faster than Vancouver has.  How Benning is able to press the reset button as many times as he has is beyond me.  We sucked well before the players got sick.  Whatever is happening to Virtanen might actually let Vancouver off the hook for his contract.

We had a third line centre in Adam Gaudette.  He's been playing just fine for Chicago.  He has better linemates because Stan Bowman has created a better team, despite their poor performance and albatross contracts.  We simply won't have the cash to sign any good right wingers for good money and term because there's so much cap locked up elsewhere.  Even after the contracts expire, there is no appeal to signing with Vancouver.

17 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The Gaudette trade was shortsighted, desperation move which had no logic.

Gaudette has 5 points in four games... and is +2... playing on Chicago's third line.

HIghmore has zero points and and is -2... despite being gifted top six time.

This trade is the cap on a series of trade/pickup failures this year.

What Benning was thinking is a mystery.

Sure Gaudette wasn't having a good season, but when considering his past record, it seems a little hasty to throw him to the dogs on the basis of one bad season.

The fact is, like the rest of the under-performing team, the problem is not the players, its the coaching and the management which is the problem.

This is what I feared... Benning panics and squanders his original good picks because their development has been botched by Green.

The sooner Green and Benning are gone, the better.

Let's just hope more damage isn't done while they remain in positions of power.

I don't even see where the desperation was.  The whole thing, as you said, made zero sense.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

That's not good enough.  Every other Canadian team has either rebuilt or re-tooled faster than Vancouver has.  How Benning is able to press the reset button as many times as he has is beyond me.  We sucked well before the players got sick.  Whatever is happening to Virtanen might actually let Vancouver off the hook for his contract.

We had a third line centre in Adam Gaudette.  He's been playing just fine for Chicago.  He has better linemates because Stan Bowman has created a better team, despite their poor performance and albatross contracts.  We simply won't have the cash to sign any good right wingers for good money and term because there's so much cap locked up elsewhere.  Even after the contracts expire, there is no appeal to signing with Vancouver.

Gaud isn't a C. He's been a winger for the Hawks. He'll never be a C in the NHL. His game isn't built for it.

We will probably have more appeal as our youngsters grow. We aren't a finished product yet.

I am not arguing about JB. I don't care if he stays or goes. Whoever is GM will have cap to work with soon. We're just in for another down year with the contracts and young guys who are gonna go through growing pains. I am simply stating the obvious.

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Imagine another coach realizing that Gaudette's strength is offensively not defensively and putting him in a scoring type role with players who can help him maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. 

4 points in 3 games. It seems to be working. 

Highmore has very little offensive talent. Why is he getting 15 or more minutes and mostly defensive zone starts on a team that cant score? Could part of it be the Canucks are stuck in their own zone a ton since starting play again?

The fact he is getting that many minutes is an indictment of just how $&!#ty overall this roster is.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

Highmore

6 games

22.9% ozone starts.

10 hits. 6 blocks

1.6 on ice goals against per 60 5on5.

even 0 +/-

1:50 /game on the pk.

14:31/ ice time / game.

very solid numbers / a good fit on a shutdown unit.

has had and created some good chances as well.

I like his game.

I think Adam Gaudette's 4 points in 3 games and a +1 are much better stats 

Canucks lost this trade and badly 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Gaudette's 2 assists tonight were really, really good. 1st he won the faceoff, goes straight to the net for a screen and the dman's shot went in with his screen. 2nd he takes the loose puck from his own zone, skates past the opposing team, toe drag the defender and pass off to DeBrincat for the goal. 

I wouldn't be surprised this trade will look pretty bad for us. Gaudette's got that point scorer's touch like Boeser/Baerschi. If he continues to play with players like Kubalik and Strome, he can easily rack up points. We have been using Gaudette wrong imo. Trying to make him prove his worth defensively by playing him on the 3rd line with limited minutes. Should have played him on the 2nd line for his offense and if he is not someone you want to keep in your top 6, trade him at a high point. 

• Thanks 2

Looks like Jake's the one we should have traded, Gaudette racking up points the way we knew he would with just 10 mins ice time playing against solid defences like Florida's.

This isn't a massive mistake that changes the team very much but it'd not an insignificant one...I'm a big JB fan but the big mistakes he's made that come to mind are letting Toffoli go (arguable), the JV pick and now this Gaudette move which have all already bit us in the ass.

• Cheers 1

Unlike some people here, I don't believe Gaudette's recent point streak will last. His offense will be inconsistent like always, and he will likely be bouncing around multiple teams in the future. You know, kind of like Vesey, who was also highly touted.

I don't know what Gaudette some of you have been watching, but his offense isn't really his strength. Not at the NHL level. You can whine and cry about Highmore all you want, but this trade neither makes nor breaks this team. Stop overrating Gaudette.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Unlike some people here, I don't believe Gaudette's recent point streak will last. His offense will be inconsistent like always, and he will likely be bouncing around multiple teams in the future. You know, kind of like Vesey, who was also highly touted.

So he's streaky ... sometimes good teams need those players to be successful. 

2 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

I don't know what Gaudette some of you have been watching, but his offense isn't really his strength. Not at the NHL level. You can whine and cry about Highmore all you want, but this trade neither makes nor breaks this team. Stop overrating Gaudette.

He had 33 points in 59 games on a not very good team playing limited minutes with not exactly offensive minded linemates. 

Even this year, playing with streaky at best offensive linemates on a truly awful team, he was still generating a decent amount of offensive chances, the puck just wasnt going in the net.

A vast majority of NHL players can be described as inconsistent offensively. On the Canucks, EP, Hughes, Miller, Boeser, and possibly Horvat could be described as consistent offensively. But their usage also makes it easier to be consistent. Everyone else can be described as anywhere from non-existent to inconsistent.

Highmore is non-existent offensively and not even that good defensively (he blows his assignments a lot if you actually watch). To see him getting 16 min a game and top 6 shifts boggles my mind. He would likely not be in the lineup regularly on very many if any other teams in the NHL. He was a regular scratch in Chicago.