The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

4 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Unlike some people here, I don't believe Gaudette's recent point streak will last. His offense will be inconsistent like always, and he will likely be bouncing around multiple teams in the future. You know, kind of like Vesey, who was also highly touted.

I don't know what Gaudette some of you have been watching, but his offense isn't really his strength. Not at the NHL level. You can whine and cry about Highmore all you want, but this trade neither makes nor breaks this team. Stop overrating Gaudette.

What you talking about JB is the worst GM we have ever had. Gaudette will flourish in the windy what we got in return will be a foot note. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Both are fringe players.  Hawks win trade by virtue of freeing up a contract slot as Highmore is signed until after next season.  He’s a 25 years old forward winger so his upside is very limited at this point.  If Gaudette doesn’t work out for them, they could just cast him adrift in this off-season by not offering him a contract and offer a contract to another prospect.  

41 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Both are fringe players.  Hawks win trade by virtue of freeing up a contract slot as Highmore is signed until after next season.  He’s a 25 years old forward winger so his upside is very limited at this point.  If Gaudette doesn’t work out for them, they could just cast him adrift in this off-season by not offering him a contract and offer a contract to another prospect.  

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

The kid is making the league minimum. You can't get a better number on a contract. That is a bonus not a negative.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

As of March 9th, Gaudette was rated 2nd in the entire league at creating scoring chances. Not 2nd on the team - in the league. Behind only Brendan Gallagher, and ahead of Brady Tkachuk, Auston Matthews, Max Pacioretty... Tyler Toffoli. (Source)

I don’t think Gaudette will be an elite player, but I do think it’s very likely that he quickly becomes a very good one. There is evidence he already was one, but was having terrible luck. It looks like this trade will go down as a big “L” for the organization.

Almost like Gaudette believing he should get a top 6 opportunity was actually supported by the numbers.

But ya, he definitely didnt take enough of a step forward so bringing in Highmore was an upgrade.

I wonder where Highmore was in that ranking.

• Upvote 1

Every game gaudette plays makes this trade look even worse.

4 points three games second star of the game.

How many mulligans does this guy get.

woukdnt be a trade deadline with out Jb throwing away a pick prospect for nothing just like it’s not the off season with out signing him a terrible contract. 
I know FA needs a yes man puppet but geez a dead monkey couldn’t do worse. 

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There you go adding facts.

How annoying.

Confident, capable coaches don't shoehorn players into ill fitted roles. They put players in the role and with linemates who can maximixe their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

Confident, capable managers do not build rosters where their coaches have no choice but to play guys in ill fitting roles. 

You said capable this doesn't  apply to Benning, Green try's to mold players into what he wants instead of utilizing their strengths. Watch and see how AG makes out in Chicago. We lost this trade big time, there seems to be a problem with management and player development plus Green is terrible at developing the youngsters.  

Just now, vannuck59 said:

You said capable this doesn't  apply to Benning, Green try's to mold players into what he wants instead of utilizing their strengths. Watch and see how AG makes out in Chicago. We lost this trade big time, there seems to be a problem with management and player development plus Green is terrible at developing the youngsters.  

I wouldnt say Green is terrible at it. He does ok with top end players. He just doesnt do well with everyone else.

Gaudette was always tracking to be a winger at the NHL level. To give up on him because he didnt turn out to be a defensive 3C is just faulty player development, usage, and analysis of the players skill set.

Both Benning and Green are average to poor at their jobs.

22 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah. Most of our cap problems will be solved by the following off-season season after this one. Still that's another year of grinding it out and we'll likely be going through learning curves with our youngsters. Could be another down year where we're picking high.

IMO the team needs a solid 3rd line C, a dynamic offensive RW and a top 4 RD in order to take that next big step. All other spots should be given to youngsters.

You mean Toffoli, Tanev and Gaudette right

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, vannuck59 said:

I agree about Toffoli but Gaudette is not a center in the NHL, and that Tanev contract will start to look bad on year three I think.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree about Toffoli but Gaudette is not a center in the NHL, and that Tanev contract will start to look bad on year three I think.

Maybe on Tanev but lots of D play well into their 30s as far as Gaudette maybe a little more development was needed but to give him away for nothing was a total waste. By the way a lot of Calgary fans think Tanev is their best D man 

1 hour ago, combover said:

Every game gaudette plays makes this trade look even worse.

4 points three games second star of the game.

How many mulligans does this guy get.

woukdnt be a trade deadline with out Jb throwing away a pick prospect for nothing just like it’s not the off season with out signing him a terrible contract. 
I know FA needs a yes man puppet but geez a dead monkey couldn’t do worse. 

I bet my dog could do better . The problem is every GM knows that Benning is a easy target and bends him over and spanks him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Gaudette isn't a 3rd C. He isn't playing C in Chicago. He's been a RW and that's all he'll ever be.

Ideally we would have kept Tanev over Toffoli for Hughes.

I personally thing that we just need guys that play the right way big boy Gaudette wasn't much help in the playoffs last year....we can keep talking about Tofolli but Ill take Brock for number one RW...toffoli and Brock do the same thing only prob would be tofolli we be older when this team gets rolling in afew years....iam curious how Lind and Pod work out honestly...so poo poo on "Gaud" for now...

57 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

I personally thing that we just need guys that play the right way big boy Gaudette wasn't much help in the playoffs last year....we can keep talking about Tofolli but Ill take Brock for number one RW...toffoli and Brock do the same thing only prob would be tofolli we be older when this team gets rolling in afew years....iam curious how Lind and Pod work out honestly...so poo poo on "Gaud" for now...

I agree.  Brock as number 1 RW,  but how awesome would it have it been to have toffoli as a number 2 RW.   And then podz at 3 and Lind at 4

Edited by sassbs
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, sassbs said:

I agree.  Brock as number 1 RW,  but how awesome would it have it been to have toffoli as a number 2 RW.   And then podz at 3 and Lind at 4

Thats true but I think there was some kind of thought that they weren't really competing with Vegas and playoff teams but getting saved by the keeper....it might be a scenario of ownership saying they don't want anymore Erickson stuff happening...(a guess) and dumped tanev too...I did notice abit that tofolli seems to be abit hands off for playoff style hockey at times and they had that stretch where they won playoff games without Toff ..just my thoughts.....maybe its time to fire Fracescos! jk