The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

No he didnt have any points.

I know that we’ve had this conversation before but I’ll say it again. I didn’t see the Hawks game and I don’t know how he played but I hope he played well and that he has a good career. I thought Highmore had a good game tonight but had no points as either.

I realize that players involved in a trade will always be compared but it does seem a little silly to do it on a game by game basis doesn’t it. Both sides rush in waiving their stat sheets after each game.

Gaudette probably has a bit higher ceiling but will need to keep scoring to stay in the top six or likely gets moved on again. Highmore looks like if he is to stay he’ll have to do what he did tonight on a regular basis to play on the fourth line.

Or I could see either guy in the K in a year or two.

47 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Do you ever have any fresh takes? Could you recommend any good replacements?

I wasn't the original poster ... But my vote goes to Dean Lombardi

The guy knows how to make key trades and knows how to navigate around bad contracts (Mike Richards)

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I know that we’ve had this conversation before but I’ll say it again. I didn’t see the Hawks game and I don’t know how he played but I hope he played well and that he has a good career. I thought Highmore had a good game tonight but had no points as either.

I realize that players involved in a trade will always be compared but it does seem a little silly to do it on a game by game basis doesn’t it. Both sides rush in waiving their stat sheets after each game.

Gaudette probably has a bit higher ceiling but will need to keep scoring to stay in the top six or likely gets moved on again. Highmore looks like if he is to stay he’ll have to do what he did tonight on a regular basis to play on the fourth line.

Or I could see either guy in the K in a year or two.

Highmore had an assist tonight and played what I thought was a really good game. He impressed me tonight. He hustled but really didnt show much until this game.

Every time Gaudette gets scratched or doesnt get a point, some use it as some sort of proof that he is garbage to validate the trade and to try to suggest people who dont think he is are wrong. Its pretty stupid really.

I see them do the same thing if Pearson scores to dismiss people who dont think Pearson is worth his contract, etc. 

One game or even a handful of games is too small a sample size to make such determinations about any player. 

This trade, to me, was not a good one from an asset management standpoint. But I still am happy to see both players do well.

Some people just have to be right and some people just have to ridicule others who have a different opinion. To me thats sad really. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

?

I think the relevence of a 9 game post covid sample is certainly very high...

And clearly the kid genius Dubas is also an idiot for signing two of these useless, expiring, waiver-wire 'plugs'.  (Unless of course one were to read all the fluffing about the #proper way to build a bottom six....)

The 'expense' of these replacement players probably also irrelevent.

Vesey 900k

Boyd  700k

Highmore 725k

The relevance is high. Vesey averages over 16mins game. Are you suggesting it's okay to be on such a barren run, and that maybe he needs more ice time because it's post-Covid? Maybe we play Vesey for the full 60mins to help him finally do something on the scoresheet.

Or, you realise that no matter the circumstances (Highmlre wasn't even here for the outbreak) that the lack of production from these three should have seen all three benched by now.

Dubas can only be considered successful if Keefe ever takes the Leafs past the second round. His time is running out too.

And the only reason the cost of these three is attractive is because of the parallel cost of Roussel, Sutter, Ferland, Beagle and Virtanen. Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek all have similar cost but at least have a future within the organisation - all that ice time, all that opportunity, should have been theirs.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

have to respectfully disagree, I think going with very long and expensive contracts, a coach change and worse results might get him canned. Montreal was right there for the taking and they just pooped the bed. 

that's fair - if they make that decision based on this year's results - then it's fair to say - they did not make the playoffs

"should" they have?

I think most people in here assumed they were going to - and were going to dominate this team this year.  Instead they idled along at the pace of this team - who had far more legitimate reasons to underachieve than the Lames did imo.

Is that Treliving's fault?  I don't know. 

I've watched less hockey this year than ever - imo the hockey just have not been particularly compelling - league wide.  As much as I love Marky and Tanev, Calgary has been borderline unwatchable.

Should they fire him?  Not sure - hard to say the buck stops anywhere else - and  I'm not a fan of bringing Sutter in to coach that group - but at the same time, I find it hard to argue with most of Treliving's moves / throughout his tenure  (with the exception of course of a few mistakes like the Neal deal...that I think most if not all GMs make).  I think he's done a pretty good job overall - will be surprised if he is axed based on this covid season (I think a whole lot of teams have been inconsistent, and the hockey in general league-wide has not been very good / low energy / poor execution - exhausted teams struggling to make it through this season).  I can't imagine the playoffs will be a whole lot better - lots of teams are 3 or 4 games away from the postseason and playing some pretty bad, loose, inconsistent hockey.  For me he 'should' probably make another coaching change in the offseason- if he survives the offseason.  Personally I don't think I'd fire him.  There are a few core players/forwards I'd try to move, though.

8 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Now I have seen it all. Someone just really said - and was serious - that Benning has shown an ability to emulate Tampa Bay in how he has built this team.

Our prospect pool is good but after the next few make the team there is not a lot left that could be considered sure nhl impact players. Most here need to believe there are but there really aren't.

Benning's late round picks have been good. Until he threw several of the better ones away for short term fixes or literally not much value coming back which drags that value down.

Tampa has drafted well but have also been exceptional at getting value, on their roster or through trades to get better players, from those players. That is the difference that no one can reasonably claim Benning has done.

Looking at the picks he has made, how many of his top few round picks were not considered bpa types at the spot they were picked? Petterssen. Cant really think of any others. Combined with the Virtanen disaster and the Juolevi reach, his drafting is good, not godly. I struggle to believe almost any GM in his spot could have not reasonably been expected to pick Boeser, Hughes, Podkolzin (aside from the Russian factor), Hoglander, Demko, etc. And probably would not have selected Virtanen and Juolevi.

We will of course never know. And his drafting (whether he or Brackett were responsible is up for debate) has overall been good. He deserves credit for that.

But the rest of his skills have been average at best to terrible at worst.

Drafting is one piece. No truly competitive team only drafts their way to cups. They have to manage the cap well, make good trades that at least incrementally improve the team, negotiate good contracts, understand how to evaluate pro players, and have a clear vision of what they want the team to look and play like. 

There are a lot of potential GM's that would likely be much better than Benning is at those.

I've looked at TB's trade history (up until Feb. 2020 as the site I'm looking at hasn't been updated and I'm too lazy to go look elsewhere) and aside from one definite home run (Sergachev for Drouin), and a couple of borderline wins for TB with the Rangers and the Canucks (both of which involved Miller, but both were cap related type of dump trades), I can't say that I see any huge wins for TB in getting exceptional value via trades (that's a long sentence).

Maybe they have gotten an extra 6th round pick (great if they actually pay off in a decent prospect or can be used to fill out a trade later on), or maybe the guy they picked up was a borderline third liner (mostly 4th liner) but the guy they moved out was just a 4th liner. 

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Tampa_Bay_Lightning/1  (see below)

I think the Canucks' trade history during Benning's time has been pretty good, maybe not as great as some might hope and perhaps with reason(s). Signing UFAs might be an area of contention where there is room for discussion. All in all, I see more in the way of major wins, few "losses" of any significance, and a number of small results, none of which would shake the foundations of the franchise.

Wins:

* The Toffoli deal was pretty good, up until the cap/re-signing thing got in the way, but the deal was good (and the cap/re-signing is a completely different issue from the value of the trade).

* Acquiring Miller was an outstanding move.

* Pearson for Gudbranson was a very good deal.

* Schenn (and a 7th) for Del Zotto was a win.

* Jokinen and Motte for Vanek was a win.

* Granlund for Shinkaruk was a win. 

* Sutter (and pick) for Bonino etc was a borderline win, but only due to injury issues for Sutter.

* Bieksa for a 2nd was a win (considering...)

* Lack for a 3rd and a 7th was a win.

* Kesler (etc) for all the Canucks got for him was a win (considering...)

* Getting Dorsett for a 3rd was a win (another injury affected result).

* Getting a 2nd for Garrison (etc) was a win.

Losses/draws:

* Vey turned out poorly, in part due to circumstances IRL.

* Getting Baertschi for a 2nd didn't turn out as well as hoped in part due to injury issues.

* Kassian/Prust was not as hoped, but Kassian had to moved and it took a pick and agreeing to take on Prust in order to get it done.

* Gudbranson/McCann, I was okay with the deal but perhaps something better could have come from it.

regards,  G.

Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date San Jose Sharks acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Barclay Goodrow
2020 3rd round pick
February 24, 2020
Anthony Greco
2020 1st round pick
San_Jose_Sharks.gif
Comment: The 3rd round pick is the Flyers pick.
Florida Panthers acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Florida_Panthers.gif Danick Martel
February 20, 2020
Anthony Greco Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date New Jersey Devils acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Blake Coleman
February 16, 2020
Nolan Foote
2020 1st round pick
New_Jersey_Devils.gif
Comment: The 1st rounder being sent to New Jersey was acquired by the Lightning in the J.T. Miller trade with the Vancouver Canucks last summer. It carries a condition that if the Canucks miss the playoffs this season, the pick transfers to a 2021 first-round pick.
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Buffalo Sabres acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Devante Stephens
November 24, 2019
Matthew Spencer Buffalo_Sabres.gif
New Jersey Devils acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
New_Jersey_Devils.gif Louis Domingue
November 1, 2019
2021 conditional 7th round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Detroit Red Wings acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Detroit_Red_Wings.gif Adam Erne
August 14, 2019
2020 4th round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Ottawa Senators acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Ottawa_Senators.gif Ryan Callahan
2020 5th round pick
July 30, 2019
Mike Condon
2020 6th round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif J.T Miller
June 22, 2019
Marek Mazanec
2019 3rd round pick
2020 conditional 1st round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Nashville Predators acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Nashville_Predators.gif Connor Ingram
June 14, 2019
2021 7th round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Chicago Blackhawks acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Jan Rutta
2019 7th round pick
January 11, 2019
Slater Koekkoek
2019 5th round pick
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
Los Angeles Kings acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Los_Angeles_Kings.gif Peter Budaj
June 13, 2018
Andy Andreoff Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date New York Rangers acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Ryan McDonagh
J.T. Miller
February 26, 2018
Vladislav Namestnikov
Libor Hajek
Brett Howden
2018 1st round pick
2019 conditional 2nd round pick
New_York_Rangers.gif
Comment: Conditional 2nd round pick becomes a first-rounder if the Lightning win the Stanley Cup in either 2018 or 2019.
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Arizona Coyotes acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Louis Domingue
Tye McGinn
November 14, 2017
Michael Leighton Arizona_Coyotes.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date New York Islanders acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Carter Verhaeghe
July 1, 2017
Kristers Gudlevskis New_York_Islanders.gif
Vegas Golden Knights acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Vegas_Golden_Knights.gif Nikita Gusev
2017 2nd round pick
2018 4th round pick
June 21, 2017
Expansion draft considerations Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Montreal Canadiens acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Montreal_Canadiens.gif 2018 conditional 6th round pick
Jonathan Drouin
June 15, 2017
2018 conditional 2nd round pick
Mikhail Sergachev
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Pittsburgh Penguins acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif Mark Streit
March 1, 2017
2018 4th round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Philadelphia Flyers acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Mark Streit
March 1, 2017
Valtteri Filppula
2017 4th round pick
2017 conditional 7th round pick
Philadelphia_Flyers.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Florida Panthers acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Mike McKenna
March 1, 2017
Adam Wilcox Florida_Panthers.gif
Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif Brian Boyle
February 27, 2017
Byron Froese
2017 2nd round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif

Los_Angeles_Kings.gif Ben Bishop
2017 5th round pick
February 26, 2017
Peter Budaj
Erik Cernak
2017 7th round pick
2017 conditional pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Montreal_Canadiens.gif Nikita Nesterov
January 26, 2017
Jonathan Racine
2017 6th round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Arizona Coyotes acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Arizona_Coyotes.gif Anthony DeAngelo
June 25, 2016
2016 2nd round pick (#37-Libor Hajek) Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Calgary Flames acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Calgary_Flames.gif Kevin Poulin
November 12, 2015
Future considerations Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Braydon Coburn
March 2, 2015
Radko Gudas
2015 1st round pick
2015 3rd round pick
Philadelphia_Flyers.gif
Boston Bruins acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Boston_Bruins.gif Brett Connolly
March 2, 2015
2015 2nd round pick
2016 2nd round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
San Jose Sharks acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
San_Jose_Sharks.gif Evgeni Nabokov
February 9, 2015
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Toronto Maple Leafs acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Carter Ashton
David Broll
February 6, 2015
2016 conditional draft pick Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif
Anaheim Ducks acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Anaheim_Ducks.gif Eric Brewer
November 28, 2014
2015 3rd round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Anaheim_Ducks.gif Nate Thompson
June 30, 2014
2015 4th round pick
2015 7th round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Edmonton Oilers acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Sam Gagner
June 29, 2014
Teddy Purcell Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Arizona_Coyotes.gif Sam Gagner
B.J. Crombeen
June 29, 2014
2015 6th round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Jason Garrison
Jeff Costello
2015 7th round pick
June 27, 2014
2014 2nd round pick Vancouver_Canucks.gif

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Azzy said:

The relevance is high. Vesey averages over 16mins game. Are you suggesting it's okay to be on such a barren run, and that maybe he needs more ice time because it's post-Covid? Maybe we play Vesey for the full 60mins to help him finally do something on the scoresheet.

How is the relevence of a waiver wire replacement player's production "high"?   My point has nothing to do with getting Vesey more ice time or expecting/hoping for more production out of him.  For me, neither he, nor Boyd are players I'd consider bringing back next season - that may not be 'fair' considering I don't know how healthy/fit, etc they are - but they are waiver wire replacement players...that otherwise would/should not be in a healthy lineup.  Nothing in their performance has indicated they were as good as the players they were replacing - not even close.  Were you expecting waiver claims to help propel the team on a playoff run?   I sure as hell didn't.   Their cap hits are irrelevent, and their performance is relatively inconsequential.   You're talking about 9 games as though they have some impact on the futures of guys in Utica.  I don't think there was as much as stake as you're implying / not worth digging in over.  Highmore I would like to see more of.  If I'm supposed to write him off based on 9 games, am I supposed to not write off Gaudette based on not producing a single point in 10 playoff games last postseason?  How many forwards in team history have gone their first 10 playoff games without a point?  I'm sorry, but I don't find the question very compelling.

3 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I've looked at TB's trade history (up until Feb. 2020 as the site I'm looking at hasn't been updated and I'm too lazy to go look elsewhere) and aside from one definite home run (Sergachev for Drouin), and a couple of borderline wins for TB with the Rangers and the Canucks (both of which involved Miller, but both were cap related type of dump trades), I can't say that I see any huge wins for TB in getting exceptional value via trades (that's a long sentence).

Maybe they have gotten an extra 6th round pick (great if they actually pay off in a decent prospect or can be used to fill out a trade later on), or maybe the guy they picked up was a borderline third liner (mostly 4th liner) but the guy they moved out was just a 4th liner. 

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Tampa_Bay_Lightning/1  (see below)

I think the Canucks' trade history during Benning's time has been pretty good, maybe not as great as some might hope and perhaps with reason(s). Signing UFAs might be an area of contention where there is room for discussion. All in all, I see more in the way of major wins, few "losses" of any significance, and a number of small results, none of which would shake the foundations of the franchise.

Wins:

* The Toffoli deal was pretty good, up until the cap/re-signing thing got in the way, but the deal was good (and the cap/re-signing is a completely different issue from the value of the trade).

* Acquiring Miller was an outstanding move.

* Pearson for Gudbranson was a very good deal.

* Schenn (and a 7th) for Del Zotto was a win.

* Jokinen and Motte for Vanek was a win.

* Granlund for Shinkaruk was a win. 

* Sutter (and pick) for Bonino etc was a borderline win, but only due to injury issues for Sutter.

* Bieksa for a 2nd was a win (considering...)

* Lack for a 3rd and a 7th was a win.

* Kesler (etc) for all the Canucks got for him was a win (considering...)

* Getting Dorsett for a 3rd was a win (another injury affected result).

* Getting a 2nd for Garrison (etc) was a win.

Losses/draws:

* Vey turned out poorly, in part due to circumstances IRL.

* Getting Baertschi for a 2nd didn't turn out as well as hoped in part due to injury issues.

* Kassian/Prust was not as hoped, but Kassian had to moved and it took a pick and agreeing to take on Prust in order to get it done.

* Gudbranson/McCann, I was okay with the deal but perhaps something better could have come from it.

regards,  G.

Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date San Jose Sharks acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Barclay Goodrow
2020 3rd round pick
February 24, 2020
Anthony Greco
2020 1st round pick
San_Jose_Sharks.gif
Comment: The 3rd round pick is the Flyers pick.
Florida Panthers acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Florida_Panthers.gif Danick Martel
February 20, 2020
Anthony Greco Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date New Jersey Devils acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Blake Coleman
February 16, 2020
Nolan Foote
2020 1st round pick
New_Jersey_Devils.gif
Comment: The 1st rounder being sent to New Jersey was acquired by the Lightning in the J.T. Miller trade with the Vancouver Canucks last summer. It carries a condition that if the Canucks miss the playoffs this season, the pick transfers to a 2021 first-round pick.
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Buffalo Sabres acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Devante Stephens
November 24, 2019
Matthew Spencer Buffalo_Sabres.gif
New Jersey Devils acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
New_Jersey_Devils.gif Louis Domingue
November 1, 2019
2021 conditional 7th round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Detroit Red Wings acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Detroit_Red_Wings.gif Adam Erne
August 14, 2019
2020 4th round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Ottawa Senators acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Ottawa_Senators.gif Ryan Callahan
2020 5th round pick
July 30, 2019
Mike Condon
2020 6th round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif J.T Miller
June 22, 2019
Marek Mazanec
2019 3rd round pick
2020 conditional 1st round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Nashville Predators acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Nashville_Predators.gif Connor Ingram
June 14, 2019
2021 7th round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Chicago Blackhawks acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Jan Rutta
2019 7th round pick
January 11, 2019
Slater Koekkoek
2019 5th round pick
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
Los_Angeles_Kings.gif Peter Budaj
June 13, 2018
Andy Andreoff Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date New York Rangers acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Ryan McDonagh
J.T. Miller
February 26, 2018
Vladislav Namestnikov
Libor Hajek
Brett Howden
2018 1st round pick
2019 conditional 2nd round pick
New_York_Rangers.gif
Comment: Conditional 2nd round pick becomes a first-rounder if the Lightning win the Stanley Cup in either 2018 or 2019.
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Arizona Coyotes acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Louis Domingue
Tye McGinn
November 14, 2017
Michael Leighton Arizona_Coyotes.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date New York Islanders acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Carter Verhaeghe
July 1, 2017
Kristers Gudlevskis New_York_Islanders.gif
Vegas Golden Knights acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Vegas_Golden_Knights.gif Nikita Gusev
2017 2nd round pick
2018 4th round pick
June 21, 2017
Expansion draft considerations Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Montreal_Canadiens.gif 2018 conditional 6th round pick
Jonathan Drouin
June 15, 2017
2018 conditional 2nd round pick
Mikhail Sergachev
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Pittsburgh Penguins acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif Mark Streit
March 1, 2017
2018 4th round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Mark Streit
March 1, 2017
Valtteri Filppula
2017 4th round pick
2017 conditional 7th round pick
Philadelphia_Flyers.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Florida Panthers acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Mike McKenna
March 1, 2017
Adam Wilcox Florida_Panthers.gif
Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif Brian Boyle
February 27, 2017
Byron Froese
2017 2nd round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif

Los_Angeles_Kings.gif Ben Bishop
2017 5th round pick
February 26, 2017
Peter Budaj
Erik Cernak
2017 7th round pick
2017 conditional pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Montreal_Canadiens.gif Nikita Nesterov
January 26, 2017
Jonathan Racine
2017 6th round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Arizona_Coyotes.gif Anthony DeAngelo
June 25, 2016
2016 2nd round pick (#37-Libor Hajek) Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Calgary Flames acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Calgary_Flames.gif Kevin Poulin
November 12, 2015
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Braydon Coburn
March 2, 2015
Radko Gudas
2015 1st round pick
2015 3rd round pick
Philadelphia_Flyers.gif
Boston Bruins acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Boston_Bruins.gif Brett Connolly
March 2, 2015
2015 2nd round pick
2016 2nd round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
San Jose Sharks acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
San_Jose_Sharks.gif Evgeni Nabokov
February 9, 2015
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Toronto Maple Leafs acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Carter Ashton
David Broll
February 6, 2015
2016 conditional draft pick Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif
Anaheim_Ducks.gif Eric Brewer
November 28, 2014
2015 3rd round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Anaheim_Ducks.gif Nate Thompson
June 30, 2014
2015 4th round pick
2015 7th round pick
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Edmonton Oilers acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Sam Gagner
June 29, 2014
Teddy Purcell Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Arizona_Coyotes.gif Sam Gagner
B.J. Crombeen
June 29, 2014
2015 6th round pick Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Tampa Bay Lightning acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif Jason Garrison
Jeff Costello
2015 7th round pick
June 27, 2014
2014 2nd round pick Vancouver_Canucks.gif

Notice I said "exceptional at getting value" and not "getting exceptional value". You dont have to get exceptional value every time, just value. And TB has been head and shoulders above the Canucks there. A big component of their value has also been making moves that give them cap to continue improving their roster. That is very often overlooked in evaluating trades.

And notice I also said ON THEIR ROSTER AND IN TRADES. They have been exceptional at getting value out of their picks and trades as a total package. Benning has made some good picks only to give them up for nothing. The net result is still a wasted pick and a nitch in the loss column.

I disagree on the Toffoli trade. It would have been a win if Benning didnt let him walk. 

You conveniently ignore a lot of Bennings trades too, sugar coating his record of giving up picks and prospects for tweeners. Forsling for Clendening for example. In no universe could that be considered even a draw. But you dont include deals like that in there.

Most of the trades you list as Benning wins were not earth shattering for the Canucks so at the very least if thats the metric you use to judge TB's trade record, you should use the same metric for judging Benning.

This analysis of yours also does not factor in losing players for absolutely nothing either. Tryamkin being the latest example. But many of the trades you think were wins didnt result in players who were used to help the team once their usefulness to the team ran out.

Thats an area where TB has been really good. Identifying non core or redundant players and incrementally improving on them with trades. Whether that is a C prospect to get a B prospect or a 4th liner traded for a borderline 3rd liner. Incremental value consistently is enough. And TB has been really good at that.

Benning had some wins there, like Granlund for Shinkaruk as you list. But he has also given up inremental value on a lot of his trades. Kassian and a pick for Prust as an example.

Benning has had limited success with his teams. Tampa Bay has won a cup and is a perennial powerhouse. I think thats probably as good an indication as any of whoch team squeezes more value out of their assets and cap.

I think, to be fair, an analysis of cap management and free agent signings would need to be included to try to suggest Benning is building like either Tampa GM did.

Not sure how if those are included anyone could say he is as good as they are.

In actual fact its a joke to suggest he is as good as either of them under any metric.

His teams have not been competitive either during a retool where he told us only a few foundational players like Sutter or Beagle or Loui, etc were needed to be a contender or during his rebuild where he still acquired those kind of players far more than a rebuilding team should.

He is, imho, a bottom 5 GM in the league on the whole. And his results kind of prove it.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

9 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Looking at the picks he has made, how many of his top few round picks were not considered bpa types at the spot they were picked? Petterssen. Cant really think of any others. Combined with the Virtanen disaster and the Juolevi reach, his drafting is good, not godly. I struggle to believe almost any GM in his spot could have not reasonably been expected to pick Boeser, Hughes, Podkolzin (aside from the Russian factor), Hoglander, Demko, etc. And probably would not have selected Virtanen and Juolevi.

That's speculation. That's the entire point of the draft. The other GMs didn't pick these guys, In Boeser's case 22 had the chance, in Höglander's and Demko's case every single team could have taken them and didn't. Benning did. Btw, there is no universal, absolute bpa-list.

Just for fun: What would the team have looked like had the Canucks always picked the player that was picked right before their turn inthe first 2 rounds:

2014: MIchael Del Colle instead of JV; Conner Bleackley instead of Jared McCann; Dominik Masin istead of Thatcher Demko

2015: Ilya Samsonov istead of Brock Boeser

2016: Jeese Puljujärvi instead of Olli Juolevi

2017: Cale Makar instead of Elias Pettersson; Conor Timmins instead of Kole Lind; Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen instead of Jonah Gadjovich

2018: Filip Zadina instead of Quinn Hughes; Jared McIsaak instead of Jett Woo

2019: Trevor Zegras instead of Vasili Podkolzin; Jackson LaCombe instead of Nils Höglander

So our young core would be:

Del Colle

Bleackley

Masin

Samsonov

Puljujärvi

Makar

TImmins

Luukkonen

Zadina

McIsaak

Zegras

LaCombe

There would be more depth ond D and in goal, but I still like the current group better.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Notice I said "exceptional at getting value" and not "getting exceptional value". You dont have to get exceptional value every time, just value. And TB has been head and shoulders above the Canucks there. A big component of their value has also been making moves that give them cap to continue improving their roster. That is very often overlooked in evaluating trades.

And notice I also said ON THEIR ROSTER AND IN TRADES. They have been exceptional at getting value out of their picks and trades as a total package. Benning has made some good picks only to give them up for nothing. The net result is still a wasted pick and a nitch in the loss column.

I disagree on the Toffoli trade. It would have been a win if Benning didnt let him walk. 

You conveniently ignore a lot of Bennings trades too, sugar coating his record of giving up picks and prospects for tweeners. Forsling for Clendening for example. In no universe could that be considered even a draw. But you dont include deals like that in there.

Most of the trades you list as Benning wins were not earth shattering for the Canucks so at the very least if thats the metric you use to judge TB's trade record, you should use the same metric for judging Benning.

This analysis of yours also does not factor in losing players for absolutely nothing either. Tryamkin being the latest example. But many of the trades you think were wins didnt result in players who were used to help the team once their usefulness to the team ran out.

Thats an area where TB has been really good. Identifying non core or redundant players and incrementally improving on them with trades. Whether that is a C prospect to get a B prospect or a 4th liner traded for a borderline 3rd liner. Incremental value consistently is enough. And TB has been really good at that.

Benning had some wins there, like Granlund for Shinkaruk as you list. But he has also given up inremental value on a lot of his trades. Kassian and a pick for Prust as an example.

Benning has had limited success with his teams. Tampa Bay has won a cup and is a perennial powerhouse. I think thats probably as good an indication as any of whoch team squeezes more value out of their assets and cap.

So, they get themselves in cap trouble and bail themselves out by giving up assets? GMs around here are threatened with burning at the stake for that kind of activity, but it's okay if TB does it? How is that being exceptional at getting value? I looked at the trade history which I added to my original post, and outside of giving up picks and value in players, I'm not sure I'm seeing what you are seeing. 

Look at the Feb 2020 sequence where TB acquires Greco for Martel (both minimal cap contracts), and a few days later they move Greco and a 1st(!) to SJ for Goodrow and a 3rd. Where is the value for TB, or is Goodrow better than I recall?

Bedtime. Thanks for chatting.  :)

regards,  G.

2 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

So, they get themselves in cap trouble and bail themselves out by giving up assets? GMs around here are threatened with burning at the stake for that kind of activity, but it's okay if TB does it? How is that being exceptional at getting value? I looked at the trade history which I added to my original post, and outside of giving up picks and value in players, I'm not sure I'm seeing what you are seeing. 

Look at the Feb 2020 sequence where TB acquires Greco for Martel (both minimal cap contracts), and a few days later they move Greco and a 1st(!) to SJ for Goodrow and a 3rd. Where is the value for TB, or is Goodrow better than I recall?

Bedtime. Thanks for chatting.  :)

regards,  G.

TBL are in a very different phase than the Canucks, so they should be expected to be selling futures to stay cap compliant whilst maintaining a competitive roster for as long as possible. Good on them and I hope our future GM would do the same if we reach that stage with our roster.

When I look at their roster the thing that strikes me, more than good trades, is their drafting. They were built by drafting and it did not happen overnight.

We all know about Stamkos (1st overall, 2008), Hedman (2nd overall, 2009) and Vas (19th overall, 2012) who are core members, but TBL have done so well at finding gold in later rounds over many years:

Point - 3rd round pick, 2014

Kucherov - 2nd round, 2011

Palat - 7th round pick, 2011

Gourde - not drafted

Cirelli - 3rd round pick, 2015

Killorn - 3rd round pick, 2007

Their trading has been pretty good, especially a few where they traded highly valued assets to get players for key positions of need, e.g. Bishop for Cernak, Drouin for Sergachev, Foote for Coleman. But I still think that great drafting has been the key for them.

This is why JB or whoever our GM is needs to stay focused on drafting great players.

On 5/5/2021 at 10:04 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Not being able to move even a single bad contract cost this team a top 6 winger and a defenseman who helped Hughes a lot.

If we need veterans to hold the young players fragile hands I guess I would prefer impact veterans rather than average ones but thats just me.

On 5/6/2021 at 8:49 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

This is my concern though. 

Cap is coming available, just like it has several times during Bennings tenure. He genuinely believed the players he signed previously were keys to a competitive team. So what is he going to waste that cap space on?

If Benning does the same type of signings it means there will need to be another rebuild and no window for this core. 

On 5/6/2021 at 9:32 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

I have been obsessed with this team for over 40 years. Seen a lot of terrible management in that time. Can anyone blame me for wanting to see my team actually do the right things to win a cup before I die?

I'm starting here and haven't read the rest.

On the one hand, you talk of a player who "helped Hughes a lot" and, in the next breath, "young players fragile hands".  So it seems you understand and accept this need for veteran presence.  Or don't you?  Just when it relates to a player you've approved?

I'm quite sure Benning understands what's coming in the future and will need to be signed.  Because he's done something in the past does not guarantee he'll do it in the future.

Lastly....you've been obsessed with this team for over 40 years but that statement, alone, means you (like others) pin a long history to the current team and that's unfair.  This team does not own "the history"...they own their (short) history here.  

People have screamed over manaagement for a long time but that doesn't mean they were right.  

I don't know that you hold the key to winning the cup and your comment that you want to see the team do the right things (in order to do so) would suggest this.  It's just not that easy to win a cup....especially Canadian teams that seem to be up against the odds more.  

It's ok to be dissatisfied but if you throw in comments about decades of being in that state it's more your issue than theirs.  Your impatience is being placed on this team and that's unfair.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

that's fair - if they make that decision based on this year's results - then it's fair to say - they did not make the playoffs

"should" they have?

I think most people in here assumed they were going to - and were going to dominate this team this year.  Instead they idled along at the pace of this team - who had far more legitimate reasons to underachieve than the Lames did imo.

Is that Treliving's fault?  I don't know. 

I've watched less hockey this year than ever - imo the hockey just have not been particularly compelling - league wide.  As much as I love Marky and Tanev, Calgary has been borderline unwatchable.

Should they fire him?  Not sure - hard to say the buck stops anywhere else - and  I'm not a fan of bringing Sutter in to coach that group - but at the same time, I find it hard to argue with most of Treliving's moves / throughout his tenure  (with the exception of course of a few mistakes like the Neal deal...that I think most if not all GMs make).  I think he's done a pretty good job overall - will be surprised if he is axed based on this covid season (I think a whole lot of teams have been inconsistent, and the hockey in general league-wide has not been very good / low energy / poor execution - exhausted teams struggling to make it through this season).  I can't imagine the playoffs will be a whole lot better - lots of teams are 3 or 4 games away from the postseason and playing some pretty bad, loose, inconsistent hockey.  For me he 'should' probably make another coaching change in the offseason- if he survives the offseason.  Personally I don't think I'd fire him.  There are a few core players/forwards I'd try to move, though.

he may be fired or not based on the last point - if he fails to make some improvements in the forward group between now and the first few days of free agency thats when I can see ownership making front office changes 

Okay, gotta bring it up since it hasn't yet...Highmore got an apple last night and honestly looked great all game. Best game so far from him. I honestly think we have a really good player here. I have been watching him close since trading for him, and I still stand by what I said earlier. The guy is almost always on the right side of the puck. 10 games in, even plus/minus, and 1 assist. With room to get better.

I get Gaudette has more points. But we had tried him higher up in the line up with no luck, he just didn't gel well this our top 6. We needed to shore up our bottom 6 and he showed no interest in doing so. 

I'd rather have Highmore on the line up. The guy skates like the wind, is chippy, hits hard, wins puck battles, and is always crashing and banging and agitating. LOVE IT.

Highmore, Motte, and big Mac great bottom 6 forward that you can build a winning team with.

And lets be honest. If we lose Sutter, Rousell, Beagle all next year. We need guys for our bottom 6!!

• Cheers 1

I think Highmore's showing that he can be a decent 4th line player.  I have liked Hawryluk's game which seems to fit well with Highmore's. I hope we stop seeing Highmore played in the top 6 for the remainder of the season (which may be more likely with Gadjovich having been called up).

Ultimately I think it will be hard to judge this trade as Gaudette and Highmore are totally different players.  If both ultimately become regulars but who perform different roles well, then maybe it's a bit of a wash.  Gaudette still holds the much higher potential to be a scorer (as compared to Highmore), so it will sting a bit if he ends up becoming a top-6 forward with the Blackhawks.  The funny thing however is that sometimes players just do better in other organizations and with different teammates.  Maybe that will be Gaudette (or maybe even Highmore).

I think it's fair to have gripes about management's handling of Gaudette but at this point, the reality is the Canucks have Highmore and even though he's probably not going to be a top scorer for the Canucks, he's been playing more and more solidly.  Happy to look forward to Highmore hopefully carving out a spot in the Canucks bottom 6 moving forward.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Okay, gotta bring it up since it hasn't yet...Highmore got an apple last night and honestly looked great all game. Best game so far from him. I honestly think we have a really good player here. I have been watching him close since trading for him, and I still stand by what I said earlier. The guy is almost always on the right side of the puck. 10 games in, even plus/minus, and 1 assist. With room to get better.

I get Gaudette has more points. But we had tried him higher up in the line up with no luck, he just didn't gel well this our top 6. We needed to shore up our bottom 6 and he showed no interest in doing so. 

I'd rather have Highmore on the line up. The guy skates like the wind, is chippy, hits hard, wins puck battles, and is always crashing and banging and agitating. LOVE IT.

Highmore, Motte, and big Mac great bottom 6 forward that you can build a winning team with.

And lets be honest. If we lose Sutter, Rousell, Beagle all next year. We need guys for our bottom 6!!

lol.... This post reminds me of the pages of praises to Leivo - where is he now? One good game, with an assist, and Canucks fans can't resist to write endless praises of a player as if we have hit the jackpot. Gaudette's trajectory, we can somewhat predict, we have seen him play and perform for 3 seasons. Highmore, even before being traded here was a 0 offense grinder. Now, how is another Sutter/Beagle with less offense good for the Canucks again? We need more Sutters and Beagles?

Bottom 6 of Highmore/Motte/Macewen makes us a contender... Dude, learn more about the NHL. That bottom 6 is more like a team that can't find the right pieces and have to scrap together whatever they have available. Except for Motte, love him. 

You know what the previous Cup winner is hosting as their 4th line? Maroon, Colton and Joseph. Now compare it to what you wrote. Dont even need to mention their 3rd line, because it is way too overkill. 

29 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol.... This post reminds me of the pages of praises to Leivo - where is he now?

what a bad take.

First, Leivo was excellent here - deserved the praise.  Scored 37 pts in 85 games here - great pick up and great value.  Where is he now?  Uh, he was a free agent.  Since you evidently like to make small sample assumptions/conclusions, Gaudette had 7 pts in 33 games here this yeare - 0 pts in 10 playoff games - without the 'grinder' aspect - so, what does that make him?

"lol"