The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

3 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

The reactions are already turning out just like the Shinkaruk for Granlund trade.

Shinkaruk never even put up 33 points in the NHL in his entire NHL career let alone in one season.  I don't see the comparison.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Unless there's something more that hasn't come out about Gaudette and the whole COVID thing this is a real head scratcher.

Complete speculation out of my end but maybe it does have something to do with COVID. Players and management prolly upset with how the wife was openly admitting to breaking protocols in some interview? Again just speculation

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say that this solves the "where did the covid come from" issue.  

Y. They got rid of the typhoid Mary. Bet the teammates, owner and coaches weren't pleased. Endangered their families too. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Devron44 said:

I hate this trade but mostly cause I know nothing about Highmore. And I feel like 99% of you guys don’t either. Has anyone actually watched the guy or are we all looking at the stats sheet 

He seemed okay when watching the playins but nothing that stood out to me.

• Hydration 2
1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

He got 33 points in 59 Games last year playing primarily on the 3rd line. This year, he is also listed as one of the players witht he highest expected goals/60 but he has just been unlucky and the puck wasn't going in for him. I see this year as a great opportunity for the team to keep him at a lower caphit for atleast another year, but no they decided to sell low on a player. Gauds value is at absolute low, and that's when the team decides to move him. Atleast, if you were to trade him, trade him after his 33 points in 59 GP season or give him a chance to pad some stats next season before moving him.

We do not know what happened behind the scenes. There may be other reasons for this trade. 

It is pretty clear from his earlier interviews last year that J.B. has been disappointed that some of the young players did not take a step forward this season. Recall that at the start of the season Gaudette mentioned that penalty killing may be in the cards for him. I guess the coaching staff may not have seen sufficient progress in his defensive game this year to vouch for him before J.B. 

I do not like this trade from a value point of view. 

Just now, coryberg said:

Sometimes there is more to things than points on a scoresheet.

That excuse being used for every overpriced signing or terrible trade by Benning isnt making this team better though.

Gaudette is not the greatest player by any means but he had a cheap cap hit, could play c or w, and was no doubt much better than the scrub he just got traded for. 

Gaudette will likely thrive in Chicago who have a long history of putting players like him in the position to succeed.

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, gurn said:

Gaudette was never a "core" player, and never will be.

Fair enough, core maybe the wrong word but doesn't mean I like the trade haha.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Apparently, Canucks scouts said that Matthew Highmore's upside is high and more than Gaudette's. That's great - so now we're trading for players based on their last name.

:lol:

The difference between Shinkaruk and Granlund trade was you can atleast make the argument that Shinkaruk has a higher ceiling but lower floor (top 6 or bust) and Granlund has a higher floor but lower ceiling (at the time he can play bottom 6 at the NHL level). Gaudette has already shown what he can and capable of doing at the NHL level last season. This year he is also one of the unluckiest players by metric of Expected Goals/60. I just dont understand this trade at all. It is not like we traded Gaud for a young RHD (which a position we need to acquire). We traded him for a player who is older, with less upside and likely won't be much more than a 4th line PKer. This makes absolute 0 sense, Benning needs to go.

• Hydration 1

Does this mean kole lind is now staying with the big club? They were grooming him as a center this year. So maybe highmore to the comets (no quarantine) and lind to the canucks (no quarantine).

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1