The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fleeced by Chicago yet again !

Rate this topic

Rollieo Del Fuego

Adam Gaudette is likely worth twice as much as Mathew Highmore....we should have gotten at least a 4th round as well...really a 3rd...

Or better yet...sign for a year and watch him grow!

Trading down to the bottom again ...JB is just not with it enough to keep this from happening over and over again....

!!!!!

• Haha 1

As big of a fan you know i am of JB, this trade is defensible.

1.) Highmore is RFA two years from now and is $725k, Gauds was due for a raise

2.) We have a value contract on the fourth line now that is sub $1 mil locked in for next season.

3.) From the scouting reports, it seems like Highmore is better defensively than Gauds

My criticism is that I feel like Gaudette has the higher ceiling and is a year younger than Highmoore. 

For the record, I don't like this trade, but it's a necessary because of the cap situation we dug ourselves into and although Gaudette's ceiling isn't super high, we have to bite the bullet for being so wasteful with our cap situation chasing UFAs from 2016-2019.

The gamble is, let's hope Gaudette's ceiling isn't as high as we thought he was (as a succession plan to Sutter)

We all praise Benning because he was there to take advantage of Vegas' cap situation to take Nate Schmidt. Similar issue here but in reverse, Gauds was a cap casualty. We don't have the luxury of taking the time to see him develop because we can't fit him under the cap.

Edited by DSVII
  • RoughGame 1

Wow just wow. Benning is the absolute worst gm ever. A F@?$!NG 4th or even a 5th round pick would have been a better return than this. 

the benning truthers can’t defend this guy any more. 

just destroying this team from within

Edited by Bure1010
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

2.) We have a value contract on the fourth line now that is sub $1 mil locked in for next season.

3.) From the scouting reports, it seems like Highmore is better defensively than Gauds

My criticism is that I feel like Gaudette has the higher ceiling and is a year younger than Highmoore.

I don't like this trade, but it's a necessary because of the cap situation we dug ourselves into and although Gaudette's ceiling isn't super high, it's the price we have to eat for being so profligate with our cap situation chasing UFAs from 2016-2019.

The gamble is, let's hope Gaudette's ceiling isn't as high as we thought he was (as a succession plan to Sutter)

I 100% disagree with your Defense of this trade. 
1. how much of a raise do you think gaudette would have gotten?

2. Ya highmore is cheaper congratulations you got a cheaper player that’s not even good enough to play in the nhl. 
3. Even a half witted gm could find 30 of these guys sub 1 mil in the free agent market but we’re stuck with benning

Vancouver and the never ending rebuild continues under JB

• Sad 1

My general feeling is, this is a pretty minor trade and is likely opening up avenue for someone else to move up, who's been deemed NHL ready.

Will see how it plays out, but the whole, "The Sky is falling" routine that's going on, as usual, is more than a little silly.

Benning doesn't let someone go unless there's a reason for it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Bure1010 said:

2. Ya highmore is cheaper congratulations you got a cheaper player that’s not even good enough to play in the nhl. 
3. Even a half witted gm could find 30 of these guys sub 1 mil in the free agent market but we’re stuck with benning

Exactly.. I don't see how he gets a raise up to anything over 1.2mil when his production is worse than the year after which he signed for 900k... 

And like you said, we could find these guys easily next year in FA and even evaluate them via PTOs before signing.

27 minutes ago, Bure1010 said:

I never said it was a good defense lol and I'm not going to go to bat for JB, leave that to his homers. At best, this is a wash if Gaudette doesn't turn out. But we're trading future potential for low upside certainty to fit under the cap.

To add to this:

1. This is also an indictment on the depth of the prospect pool after seven years of drafting if Benning is more confident trading for someone who couldn't make the roster of the rebuilding Blackhawks than take a chance on one of his young guns.

2. I don't trust Jim to find someone for under $1 mil in free agency, he gets taken to the cleaners by agents for UFAs, that is how I'm coping with 'defending' this move.

3. Edit: Damn, that's one less forward we can expose to Seattle. I was hoping to keep at least one of Gaudette or Lind, with the promise to protect Pearson, that just makes Lind a more likely target.

My premise is that Jim can't manage the cap, this deal gives some cap certainty next year and that is a plus. But yes, a pick would have been preferable.

Edited by DSVII

32 minutes ago, DSVII said:

For the record, I don't like this trade, but it's a necessary because of the cap situation we dug ourselves into and although Gaudette's ceiling isn't super high, we have to bite the bullet for being so wasteful with our cap situation chasing UFAs from 2016-2019.

We all praise Benning because he was there to take advantage of Vegas' cap situation to take Nate Schmidt. Similar issue here but in reverse, Gauds was a cap casualty. We don't have the luxury of taking the time to see him develop because we can't fit him under the cap.

32 minutes ago, DSVII said:

defensible? yea because letting your best players walk for nothing , or trading away good young players cuz we may have to pay them.. Awesome.. Sign another Jay beagle instead.. this guy is dumber then a fence post.

• Haha 1