The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings re-sign Alex Iafallo

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Haha. I would rather have Iaffallo or Laughton. Although the term on both those deals is crazy. One has way more points and the other plays physical and also has more points with less opportunity than Pearson. Both are younger too.

And they got paid more/more term.

Pretty clear, near-comparables to show, yet again, Pearson isn't overpaid.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And they got paid more/more term.

Pretty clear, near-comparables to show, yet again, Pearson isn't overpaid.

Well, considering my points above, they arent really comparables. They are both younger and more productive. And neither is really the same type of player.

Honestly, you and I will continue to disagree on Pearson's value relative to that dollar/term/ntc/expansion protection contract. 

You can keep coming at me about it if you want but I see no point in continuing to argue the same points bud. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Well, considering my points above, they arent really comparables. They are both younger and more productive. And neither is really the same type of player.

Honestly, you and I will continue to disagree on Pearson's value relative to that dollar/term/ntc/expansion protection contract. 

You can keep coming at me about it if you want but I see no point in continuing to argue the same points bud. 

Of course you don't because you're wrong and have provided nothing but your subjective 'feels' as supporting 'evidence' :lol:

Not direct, no. Players rarely are absolute, direct comparables. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Of course you don't because you're wrong and have provided nothing but your subjective 'feels' as supporting 'evidence' :lol:

Not direct, no. Players rarely are absolute, direct comparables. 

Lol ok bud. Like I said, opinions arent necessarily wrong just because you disagree with someone. But keep trying to insult mine to boost yours if it makes you feel good about yourself.

Arent Gaudette and Bennett comparables then? Lets look at the returns on those teo trades if comparable is your thing.

22 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Haha. I would rather have Iaffallo or Laughton. Although the term on both those deals is crazy. One has way more points and the other plays physical and also has more points with less opportunity than Pearson. Both are younger too.

One has way more points?

Pearson has 226 career points 

Iaffalo has 126 career points 

Laughton has 123 career points 

Calculating Figure It Out GIF

Iaffallo is a year younger but has a year extra on his deal that's a wash at best. Laughton is a year and a half younger but has 2 extra years.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Chappelle Show Lol GIF

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol ok bud. Like I said, opinions arent necessarily wrong just because you disagree with someone. But keep trying to insult mine to boost yours if it makes you feel good about yourself.

Opinions based on nothing but your subjective feels are worth squat. Stop trying to pretend yours are as valid as ones backed up with like 20 contract comparables, math etc.

That's not an 'insult' it's reality.

Arent Gaudette and Bennett comparables then? Lets look at the returns on those teo trades if comparable is your thing.

Not even remotely close. Bennett is a FAR better player, actually plays defense and shows up in the playoffs.

@wallstreetamigo 

That is about the 100th time you've brought up the one year NTC in his contract. It's absolutely hilarious the straws that you are grasping at definitely worth a gif.

I've given you boatloads of comparables, stats and ideas over the past 3 days. Obviously you've ignored them.

Edited by coryberg
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Opinions based on nothing but your subjective feels are worth squat. Stop trying to pretend yours are as valid as ones backed up with like 20 contract comparables, math etc.

That's not an 'insult' it's reality.

Not even remotely close. Bennett is a FAR better player, actually plays defense and shows up in the playoffs.

Its not my subjective feels though bud.

Its 20+ years of working with actual professional hockey, baseball, basketball, etc. players, executives, agents, and media and analyzing all sorts of financial data including contracts and financial trends and results in various professional sports. That isn't to say my opinion is automatically more valid than yours or anyone else's but it also doesn't play to your theory that I am somehow uninformed simply because you don't agree.

No one contract is alone on an island and its pretty simplistic to frame that it is. The cumulative effect of all moves is what determines the actual value in a cap environment. So one team signing a comparable player doesnt mean much. Only superficial analysts looking for a justification of a pre determined conclusion would see it that way. Think of it as an easy to follow logic chain that allows people to avoid actually being objective on a deeper level.

Maybe they have more cap. Maybe they have less overpriced veteran contracts pressuring their cap situation overall. Maybe they have less options to replace what the player brings. There are all sorts of factors that make direct player to player contract value comparisons far more complex than you are insinuating. Contract dollars and term are A factor, not THE ONLY factor to determine the contracts value. Like you said yoursrlf, direct player to player comparisons are not an exact science or even simple to do.

As an aside, not that it matters, but I am now retired under age 50 so I am pretty comfortable my "subjective feels" have served me pretty well haha. It gives me more time to piss everyone off on CDC apparently. I still value other people's opinions even when I disagree. You have made some good points as have others that have made me consider another perspective. I appreciate the conversation. So go ahead, flame away.