The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Ducks trade Ben Hutton to Maple Leafs for 2022 5th-round pick

I would joke that the Leafs have missed Gardiner's vacancy on the back end and therefore sought out an alternative deer in the headlights...

But I like BHut - and think he has relatively recovered the past few seasons from some (correctible) problems in his game.

His puck movement here regressed to the point he just could not make sound decisions - confidence looked shattered - wasn't carrying or moving the puck with any assertiveness/confidence.

But he's had a couple respectable seasons on not particularly good teams - has become a decent penalty killer - was always able to skate and has some physicality when he decides to use it.

Wish him the best.  And as much as I loathe the Leafs - if they make it out of the North - they'll probably be the team I back the rest of the way (although I do like the Isles among teams south of the border).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

I would joke that the Leafs have missed Gardiner's vacancy on the back end and therefore sought out an alternative deer in the headlights...

But I like BHut - and think he has relatively recovered the past few seasons from some (correctible) problems in his game.

His puck movement here regressed to the point he just could not make sound decisions - confidence looked shattered - wasn't carrying or moving the puck with any assertiveness/confidence.

But he's had a couple respectable seasons on not particularly good teams - has become a decent penalty killer - was always able to skate and has some physicality when he decides to use it.

Wish him the best.  And as much as I loathe the Leafs - if they make it out of the North - they'll probably be the team I back the rest of the way (although I do like the Isles among teams south of the border).

To contemplate cheering for the Leafs is to flirt with abominable sacrilege.

Cardinal Rule #1 in the Canuck fan rule book..... NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER EVER, under any circumstance cheer for the whiny "we're the center of the hockey universe" Maple Leafs.

To do so requires excommunication from Canuck nation! :frantic:

tumblr_otxqr6HEYW1tpri36o1_1280.png

On 4/12/2021 at 12:10 PM, rekker said:

TO should of traded that fifth for Benn. Better fit than Hutton imho.

Despite other fairly recent acquisitions by the Leafs, there is still a very strong belief in Toronto that d-men are just forwards who play on a line without a center.

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

To contemplate cheering for the Leafs is to flirt with abominable sacrilege.

Cardinal Rule #1 in the Canuck fan rule book..... NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER EVER, under any circumstance cheer for the whiny "we're the center of the hockey universe" Maple Leafs.

To do so requires excommunication from Canuck nation! :frantic:

tumblr_otxqr6HEYW1tpri36o1_1280.png

yeah - i know - no one loathes that center of the universe arrogance of Toronto more than I do.

I remember the days when there was one game a week on HNIC - and it would be wall to wall Leafs.

But it's either the Leafs (if they make it out of the North - I'll be hoping for any/every other Canadian team to take them out) - but if they finally survive a playoff round or two - then it's either them or yet another American franchise winning another Stanley Cup south of the border. 

Lose lose, but I think, unlike those asshats (who did nothing but troll the Canucks in our Cup run) - I'll get behind the Canadian franchise - even if they're only half Canadian (ie Toronto is a wannabe city that wishes they were American lol).

• Cheers 1

On 4/15/2021 at 11:57 AM, oldnews said:

yeah - i know - no one loathes that center of the universe arrogance of Toronto more than I do.

I remember the days when there was one game a week on HNIC - and it would be wall to wall Leafs.

But it's either the Leafs (if they make it out of the North - I'll be hoping for any/every other Canadian team to take them out) - but if they finally survive a playoff round or two - then it's either them or yet another American franchise winning another Stanley Cup south of the border. 

Lose lose, but I think, unlike those asshats (who did nothing but troll the Canucks in our Cup run) - I'll get behind the Canadian franchise - even if they're only half Canadian (ie Toronto is a wannabe city that wishes they were American lol).

Any Canadian team in the Cup finals, is a moment of great Canadian Culture and ought to be supported like a 2011 Bruins fan.

.........even Edmonton.........

Edited by Me_

32 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Any Canadian team in the Cup finals, is a moment of great Canadian Culture and ought to be supported like a 2011 Bruins fan.

.........even Edmonton.........

I am still hoping another Canadian team takes Toronto out.

If Toronto is the last Cdn team standing I will reassess if I can cheer for them. It will depend on if I can control the uncontrollable self hatred and violent vomiting that may be induced.

• Haha 3

On 4/18/2021 at 1:52 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

I heard the collective gasp from the eastern media at this sacrilegious comment.

I think Darren Dreger might have actually died.

Would it be awful of me to say, "Here's hoping!"

regards,  G.

I want Thornton to win one even though he played for the Sharks for years. 

But Toronto winning? Idk. I wouldn't mind Montreal winning one. They're a good young team I think they're a tier above us honestly while I think we're competitive with Calgary and Ottawa. Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg are definitely better than us though.