The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jordie Benn to Jets for 2021 6th-round pick

15 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Jesus Christ Benning traded an upcoming free agent for a draft pick?  I like it!  Though wish he did this 7 years ago when this team should have been rebuilding and actually had players of value to trade. 

You know he tried hard to shop him for a rescue project then was like, fine. 

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Gaudette?

Nothing makes sense unfortunately. 

Well if you believe the rumours the team wasn’t happy with his wife bringing COVID into the organization.

I don’t believe that’s it personally. I think they just don’t see him as a top 6 and he doesn’t bring much to the bottom 6.

Most annoying part is we probably could have gotten a decent return last season. Unfortunately Benning doesn’t know when to sell high. He waits till players have no more value.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well if you believe the rumours the team wasn’t happy with his wife bringing COVID into the organization.

I don’t believe that’s it personally. I think they just don’t see him as a top 6 and he doesn’t bring much to the bottom 6.

Most annoying part is we probably could have gotten a decent return last season. Unfortunately Benning doesn’t know when to sell high. He waits till players have no more value.

His wife went on record that she wasn't going to listen to the precautions sent out (by the team). One of them was "Don't go grocery shopping".

So she chose not to take precautions because they didn't make sense to her. Hm... sounds like a Karen complaining about why she has to wear masks.

I'm not saying she's an anti-masker, but her comments on that podcast make it seem like she downplays COVID. Add to the fact that Gaudette really wasn't that good.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Jesus Christ Benning traded an upcoming free agent for a draft pick?  I like it!  Though wish he did this 7 years ago when this team should have been rebuilding and actually had players of value to trade. 

How many players could JB have traded? And how many of those had NTC?

Just wondering.

13 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is the exact deal I expected NOT to happen given Benning's comments. If you prioritize a 6th over "doing right by the players," then why even say that in the first place?

Communication makes a sub par GM a horrible GM. 

There’s always something to complain about isn’t there?  Thanks for posting that. As a guy that has to listen to people complain about their tax returns all day long, your post was a refreshing break. :)

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I guess and for sure that would have been more value...

But after last season JB may have thought he had a decent “3rd” line budding around Gaudette and Virtanen.  At least as a line that can bring some solid secondary scoring if not as a checking line.  I can see why you’d want to keep them after that year.

Turns out he had dog poop on his shoe instead. 

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I sincerely hope that Gaudette starting the Canucks outbreak isn't the reason for this. That's terrible decision making and evaluation by management and is a fileable offense. I agree that it likely isn't the case though. 

I can understand why he didn't sell high. Management wanted to see if Gaudette could take the next step. If he proved that he could find a role on our team going forward, then you keep him. If he doesn't take the step, then his value is low and you have to decide if you hold him for a while longer or just cut him loose. Unfortunately player evaluation takes the inverse route of asset management. They felt like Gaudette's potential was worth taking the risk on and they felt it just wasn't there. Whether that proves to be a wise decision or not remains to be seen. 

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Kinda wack that we need to force Green to play Juolevi by trading Benn. When Juolevi should have just been in the lineup to begin with. Lol.

Totally. Juolevi has totally proven to be a solid option on the blue line this season. Sitting him is a horrible decision.

• Cheers 2

The Canucks make it official:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has acquired a sixth-round pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft from the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for defenceman Jordie Benn.

Vancouver also acquired forward Matthew Highmore from Chicago in exchange for Adam Gaudette earlier in the day before acquiring defenceman Madison Bowey and a fifth-round pick in 2021 from Chicago for a 2021 fourth-round pick.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-acquire-pick-from-wpg/c-323570074

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Kinda wack that we need to force Green to play Juolevi by trading Benn. When Juolevi should have just been in the lineup to begin with. Lol.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Totally. Juolevi has totally proven to be a solid option on the blue line this season. Sitting him is a horrible decision.

On one hand yes, on the other, if Benn didn't play much this year, we wouldn't even get a 6th round pick (moar pickz amirite?)

So in the end, we get a pick and can now play Juolevi pretty much full time to finish out the year.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Totally whack but if we sat Benn he probably wouldn’t have been tradable. Maybe that Juicy 6th rounder becomes the next Artem Chubarov 

• Haha 1

Looking forward to Juolevi getting some PT.  As a small mercy for the team, Juolevi wasn't on the COVID list so he should hopefully have plenty of energy for the remainder of the season.  Maybe Bowey will get some games too.

I liked the Benn signing and it's too bad he didn't end up fitting here.  Mind you, I never thought he was going to be part of a core, but he is a useful depth D.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I guess they couldn’t have gotten this value in January or whatever... 

Why now? 

Had OJ, etc. in a taxi during a developmental year to ice a deep, competitive D corps.

Same with AG.

I get the deals, I’m just wondering if they couldn’t have been made before.  I guess the playoffs are finally not JBs focus for once, well since dumping Burrows, etc. 

JB doesn’t ever make it easy on himself, does he; there’s always a reason to seriously question his management.  

Good luck to a fellow BC boy who was a great character player for us for what he was brought in to do.  I suspect he will fill in nicely in WPG, and I hope he continues to prove he belongs in the league so he can get another contact. 

Cap hit is pro-rated for the number of remaining games in the season. So the later we make the trade, the lower the cap hit to the receiving team.