The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jordie Benn to Jets for 2021 6th-round pick

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Trying to think of the last Canuck traded for a pick at the deadline. Burr?

I believe the last time we got a pick near/

at the deadline was DJ MDZ for a 7th and Luke Schenn. A few years back. And I recall Burr was straight up for Dahlen. It was the Hanson trade for a conditional 4th round pick and Goldy that you probably thinking of. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Reports that his pregnant wife and kids also got Covid when the team fell ill. I can totally understand not moving him under that scenario.

I also think it's highly possible we extend him given the reports Beagle won't start next year.

This and Gaudette's wife complaining about isolation?  Are these things true aGent??  Boy have I been out of the loop the past few weeks

• Huggy Bear 1

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I would have thought the "trade for anything / don't let UFAs walk" crowd would be pleased. 

I'm pleased that he's out of OJ's way and we have a pick to use. 

OJs fans be like 

Move Benn, get out the way
Get out OJ's way Benn, get out the way
Get out the way Benn, get out the way

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

OJs fans be like 

Get out OJ's way Benn, get out the way
Get out the way Benn, get out the way

yes, pretty much, that describes my feelings on Benn. 

16 hours ago, EliasBoeser said:

Funny everyone saying this is to make room for Juolevi.. I can’t help but think Bowie will be playing over him now.

15 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

With all the lefties we have, this is very much a possiblity. But Benning did say Juolevi was gonna get more looks because of this. Not that his word means much of anything.

Bowey is a RHD

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

liked benn, good depth guy to have for the playoffs.

Me too. Quietly did his thing, and didn't complain about ice time. (Or lack thereof).

I thought he played alright this season for a bottom pairing guy. Better than his first with us for sure. Wishing him the best - seemed like a good guy.

• Vintage 3

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Have to get him away from Travis Green so Joulevi gets more game action.  He (OJ) is in the long term plans of the club not Benn.  Let the kid play.

im perfectly fine for him to go too a play off team, im happy for him gets a chance again, loved the OJ pick since the draft jut sh!T luck with injurys.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

im perfectly fine for him to go too a play off team, im happy for him gets a chance again, loved the OJ pick since the draft jut sh!T luck with injurys.

Benn was awful last season (save the playoffs).  But nicely bounced back this season (proving the postseason performance wasn’t a mirage).  Might’ve been a case of him taking a bit of time to get used to being on a different team/coach/teammates.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Have to get him away from Travis Green so Joulevi gets more game action.  He (OJ) is in the long term plans of the club not Benn.  Let the kid play.

I know. It's like this is how JB and Green communicate.  JB wants to see more of OJ and the only way seems to be take the player away.  Much like Willy.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I know. It's like this is how JB and Green communicate.  JB wants to see more of OJ and the only way seems to be take the player away.  Much like Willy.

Funny how when JB talks about TG it's all praise and he's always said they have alignment in how they see the future from ownership, to management, to the coaching staff.    Didn't mind how TG managed OJ's minutes,  at every level it took some time to gain traction - in the AHL for quite some time he was all over the map (good games, followed by games he'd end up benched).   Playing him in all situations 20 minutes from the hop could have backfired.   OJ himself said it took several games to become comfortable with the higher pace.    

They obviously feel he's ready now, not only does he have a permanent spot, he will also now have to be relied on if Edler (assuming he's re-signed), or QH's goes down.    Figure Myers will be relied on to oversee his progress - he was very vocal when they played shouting to OJ to go certain places etc.   If Benn didn't play as much, he wouldn't have been that easy to trade.