The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jordie Benn to Jets for 2021 6th-round pick

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I know. It's like this is how JB and Green communicate.  JB wants to see more of OJ and the only way seems to be take the player away.  Much like Willy.

This isn’t Moneyball.

• Hydration 1
26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Funny how when JB talks about TG it's all praise and he's always said they have alignment in how they see the future from ownership, to management, to the coaching staff.    Didn't mind how TG managed OJ's minutes,  at every level it took some time to gain traction - in the AHL for quite some time he was all over the map (good games, followed by games he'd end up benched).   Playing him in all situations 20 minutes from the hop could have backfired.   OJ himself said it took several games to become comfortable with the higher pace.    

They obviously feel he's ready now, not only does he have a permanent spot, he will also now have to be relied on if Edler (assuming he's re-signed), or QH's goes down.    Figure Myers will be relied on to oversee his progress - he was very vocal when they played shouting to OJ to go certain places etc.   If Benn didn't play as much, he wouldn't have been that easy to trade. 

Yeah they say they are aligned but I doubt it. I  really hope Green isn't Extended. So many experience coaches available. 

And Huggy apparently has lost a lot of weight? I know the diarrhea thing does that, I hope he doesn't rush back if he isn't strong enough yet.

• Hydration 1
7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Moneyball? It's not about saving money it's about letting OJ play which Green wasn't doing.

Watch the movie and you’ll know the reference.

The GM of the Oakland A’s forced Moneyball players on the coach by trading the coach’s favorite players away.

Edited by Me_
  • Hydration 1
46 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Watch the movie and you’ll know the reference.

The GM of the Oakland A’s forced Moneyball players on the coach by trading the coach’s favorite players away.

Hahahaha! Okay gotcha. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
47 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah they say they are aligned but I doubt it. I  really hope Green isn't Extended. So many experience coaches available. 

And Huggy apparently has lost a lot of weight? I know the diarrhea thing does that, I hope he doesn't rush back if he isn't strong enough yet.

To me a coaching change should happen if TG loses the room or the team underachieves horribly for the rest of the year.    The start of the year was just bad, that said the ship was righted and the team clawed itself out of the hole and right into the range most predicted we'd be at the start of the year in this division (4-5).    I'm skeptical that a new coach would do any better then TG and the team has done since the 15 game mark.   Without EP for 10ish games we clawed back with a good winning percentage given the roster.   Our bottom six needs an overhaul, and our D is still two top four short.   

Feel he's getting an extension, the length will say a lot as far as how JB believes TG is aligned with their plan and goals.   JB is a methodical rebuilder, we are about to make the change from the few placeholders remaining, into what the team needs during its competitive cycle which in a way started with the Miller trade and Myers acquisition.   TG gets way more flak on this site then he deserves.    Torts...yes he's probably better, but like usual his team is blowing up under him.  Can't reach this generation of players although he tries for sure.   TG plays the kids, a lot of so called "experienced" coaches simply won't do that unless they are a favourite. 

Don't like the five man collapse box either.   Bomber ... well he can go anytime. 

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Moneyball? It's not about saving money it's about letting OJ play which Green wasn't doing.

OJ couldn't play because we didn't have the cap space to recall him with his required bonuses.

55 minutes ago, aGENT said:

OJ couldn't play because we didn't have the cap space to recall him with his required bonuses.

I never heard a explanation as such.

Was it something JB or Green mentioned?

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I never heard a explanation as such.

Was it something JB or Green mentioned?

It's been tweeted and it's plain cap rules that you can verify if you like. To recall Juolevi, we'd need space for his base salary+potential bonuses. Until Beagle went on IR(or we're moved Benn), given the other moves/claims we've made, we simply didn't have room to recall him.

And for his own part, Benn had in fact largely played well also.

Though I'm more than happy we moved him to ensure Juolevi gets some real play time down the stretch. Pretty sure that was always the plan and it really was only the Covid outbreak that brought some question to it.

Edited by aGENT
  • Hydration 2

no brainer.  good job getting a late pick for him imo. 

he stepped up at times, particularly this season when the team was injured/so thin in options to partner with Hughes - but overall it's hard to consider him the player the team signed.  At least the timing of his struggles did not coincide with an approaching tdl - and he did not suffer an injury heading into it either (one instance where the team didn't actually get shafted by bad fortune).