The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Madison Bowey, 2021 5th-round pick to Canucks for 2021 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

However, if the goal was to get a guy who could fill  the need for a d-man to be exposed in the expansion draft, Bowey fills that need, Vatanen does not. Assuming Bowey doesn't get picked by Seattle (which is likely) he has a minimal contract for only one year.

regards,  G.

No kidding... pretty bad plan if you want to claim Vatanen to meet exposure requirements.

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

When you realize people just hate to hate. When you read some of these guys spilling the same crap it’s just become white noise and they really don’t have an opinion when it’s same narrative no matter what happens

this deal also makes sense with Mete being calmed, he's a guy we could have got for free and extended but this move is even better. Move a few spots in the draft for a guy you can totally bury in the minors.

Sure makes more sense than extending Benn.

As a side note, I'm enjoying watching Calgary burn. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

If you guys think Gudbranson is bad and D. Just wait until you watch Bowey.

Here's the difference. Guddy came with a 1st round pick pedigree. Bowey comes with an almost bottom of the barrel pedigree. Ergo, Guddy played WAY below his pedigree. If Bowey can manage the occasional fill-in as a 6-7 Dman, he's lived up to and maybe exceeded expectations. We don't expect anything from Bowey...so anything good will be a +, anything bad is exactly what we expect

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this deal also makes sense with Mete being calmed, he's a guy we could have got for free and extended but this move is even better. Move a few spots in the draft for a guy you can totally bury in the minors.

Sure makes more sense than extending Benn.

As a side note, I'm enjoying watching Calgary burn. 

I would almost bet they put a claim in on Mete. Ottawa was in line before us. 

Nice to give a pretty decent prospect back in the day another shot. Win win 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ah OK. 

We need to entice Seattle to take Holtby primarily, I think we can always retain on Myers if we really need to move him down the road, the market for RHD is always one that seems to be there. 

I think a lot of JB’s signings were designed to be sold off down the road... (the NTC for example always taper off) but guys like Loui and Roussel haven’t just regressed, they aren’t NHL caliber players anymore.

As long as that doesn’t happen to Myers I think a he’d be pretty enticing as a deadline acquisition, particularly with retention.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Provost said:

Bah... this is so we don’t have to expose Myers in expansion.

That is the annoying part, I was hoping for a miraculous way to move cap out by Seattle taking Myers.

I don’t think Seattle would do us a solid 

Just now, 13231 said:

A poster earlier mentioned how not picking Bowie up on waivers benefits us long term for the expansion draft, and lets us place him on the taxi squad without his cap hit counting and opens up roster spots to help guys like Juoulevi get ice time. 5th vs 4th round picks are negligible, that is common knowledge. No offense intended but i remember when you used to be one of the guys on the boards providing a voice of reason with insightful facts and outlooks and not the snarky comments

Yeah that’s pretty common as well... guys gain a bump in value once they pass through waivers.

I can’t see them eager to get Bowie into the lineup... they’re still trying to make the playoffs  as unlikely as it is.

Edler-Schmidt stays a shutdown and Hughes-Hamonic is your second pair.  

That leaves Myers and I don’t see why you’d shoehorn a RHD-RHD combo when you can go Juolevi - Myers.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Bah... this is so we don’t have to expose Myers in expansion.

That is the annoying part, I was hoping for a miraculous way to move cap out by Seattle taking Myers.

We still may make that move after the season/before the ED. This gives us options.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

So, which player from the Canucks would you pick if you were Seattle? 

Does your choice impact how you view the move? 

maybe MacEwan or Jake? honesty we're giving them very little to pick from, which is great. 

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, Josepho said:

This was a player who has been available on waivers and in free agency multiple times, what the &^@# is this asset management?

Asset management? You trade away a fourth round pick to get right-shooting defenceman who is a potential roster player making $725 this year AND next, plus a fifth round pick. Not to mention Bowey is seven years younger than Benn. Now here's the good part: Benn had 19 games left to play in Vancouver because it is doubtful that he would be re-signed here. So instead of enduring a Hamhuis-inspired whining about not getting anything for an expiring contract, Benning gets a journeyman defenceman and a fifth for a measly fourth round pick. Bowey may or may not turn out to be a solid 5-6 defenceman, but we have a chance to find out next season at minimal cost while Benn is somewhere else making more money. And make no mistake, saving money against the cap is a really big deal for every team this year and for the next 1-2 years.

54 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Every day is a beautiful day. My days and my emotions don’t revolve around hockey.

Depressive and negative people do get to me I will admit, for I do not understand how merely being alive isn’t of utmost gratitude.

Getting emotional about things one cannot control is kind of a waste of time when there are so many other variables in a person’s life which are in need of attention. 

You think the reason people complain about Benning has to do more with how they're depressive and negative and not gratified that they're alive, rather than just not believing that he's a competent GM? Sounds a bit smug to me but maybe I misunderstood. 

Edited by Grape
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe MacEwan or Jake? honesty we're giving them very little to pick from, which is great. 

If they have little to gain, we also open the door to maybe greasing them into buying a bad contract off of us, too.  That doesn’t fly if they’re like “nah we’re good with Myers”

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I think a lot of JB’s signings were designed to be sold off down the road... (the NTC for example always taper off) but guys like Loui and Roussel haven’t just regressed, they aren’t NHL caliber players anymore.

As long as that doesn’t happen to Myers I think a he’d be pretty enticing as a deadline acquisition, particularly with retention.

So much depends on the salaries of who else they pick. I'm sure they would like to pick Myers, even just to flip him with retention for more picks. 

But who knows. If they are as Uber-analytics as we've heard, they may pick more of a prospect like Lind if the number crunchers like him. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

So much depends on the salaries of who else they pick. I'm sure they would like to pick Myers, even just to flip him with retention for more picks. 

But who knows. If they are as Uber-analytics as we've heard, they may pick more of a prospect like Lind if the number crunchers like him. 

We need to be protecting Lind.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1