The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Madison Bowey, 2021 5th-round pick to Canucks for 2021 4th-round pick

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I saw Bowey play for years in junior.

Looooved him and wanted him so badly.

Not sure what happened to him but always hoped he'd put it together.

Now I'm really hoping he does because come on baby, BCs been good to you.

Also....it's not even remotely a loss.  It's picking up a potential asset and moving down a few spots.  The only move I'm meh about today

That year they had him, Draisaitl and Morrissey they were on another level.  I went 10+ games that year and Bowey was so dominant.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm more excited about Bowey than Chatfield. I don't know that Baumer is going to be the guy that cracks the code with Bowey tho. Anything we get out of him at the NHL level is a bonus. 

Baumer was also a big Physical Dman that moved like a potato. Maybe he can help him. 

• Haha 3
23 minutes ago, gurn said:

Just when I was about to write you off, you post this.

I appreciate the ability to see, and say,  both good and bad.

I shall read your future posts with a different tone than I was starting to hear.

I’ve complemented him quite a few time. I like the Bowey trade, I like making room for OJ but I’m not really happy with  Gaud’s deal. Although I complained that we only got Motte and that backfired. 

• Hydration 3
2 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I’ve complemented him quite a few time. I like the Bowey trade, I like making room for OJ but I’m not really happy with  Gaud’s deal. Although I complained that we only got Motte and that backfired. 

Hmmmm... not very convincing John. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

I like Bowey 6'2, 205 , good skater, plays with grit, signed next season makes 3 NHL players under contract for expansion ..

Adds depth # 5 or #6 -Cap 750,000 next season....

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Hmmmm... not very convincing John. 

Haha. Another thing I just thought about. I could be wrong, but he hasn’t really given up on anyone that came back to bite him. All the prospects he cuts ties with end up eating out of a dumpster. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Haha. Another thing I just thought about. I could be wrong, but he hasn’t really given up on anyone that came back to bite him. All the prospects he cuts ties with end up eating out of a dumpster. 

Gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em. There’ll be plenty of time for counting when the dealings done. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
50 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Baumer was also a big Physical Dman that moved like a potato. Maybe he can help him. 

Quiet. Don't let Heffy read this.

1 hour ago, Convincing John said:

McCann? Forsling? With that being said, Benning has overall been pretty good about this over his tenure. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Convincing John said:

Help him turn into a sub par defensive coach?

:bigblush:

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, aGENT said:

If we do actually expose Myers, if I'm Seattle, I 100% take Myers.

There are gonna likely be better/similar cheaper options and FA. 

Anyone that has 6M+ cap hit with term has to be more worth it IMO. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

That year they had him, Draisaitl and Morrissey they were on another level.  I went 10+ games that year and Bowey was so dominant.

Draisaitl was great but his speed was lacking. He has come leaps and bounds. Of course with his size he was never going to be a speedster but it's leeps and bounds. He was labeled as a Kopitar in his draft year, safe to say he exceeded.

I remember that draft year vividly. I was hoping draisaitl was gonna be there at 6. The way I saw it was...

1 Ekblad (big skilled dman wins if it's close)

2 Reinhart (cause Bennett couldn't do a pullup

3 Bennett (there were scouts that had him at 1)

4 Virtanen (played with the hitmen, seemed like the flames type of player ie fast, big and gritty)

5 Dal colle (don't know what happened to him but he was a blue chip)

6 LD (skating was a knock but his talent was undeniable)

Most draft rankings had LD at 5 but I was hoping Virtanen and Calgary would rock the boat. Oh well the hockey gods let Hughes fall to us.

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Most draft rankings had LD at 5 but I was hoping Virtanen and Calgary would rock the boat. Oh well the hockey gods let Hughes fall to us.

Pod fell to us too and I am hoping he turns into a steal as well. We need more players with his skillset. 

• Hydration 1
26 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

There are gonna likely be better/similar cheaper options and FA. 

Anyone that has 6M+ cap hit with term has to be more worth it IMO. 

We're exposing a bunch of nothing. Better players out there or not...a legit, 2nd pair NHL RHD is a HELL if a lot better than the rest of what well have available. If we expose him (after trading for a younger replacement), SEA almost assuredly takes him over the other scraps we'd have lying about.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We're exposing a bunch of nothing. Better players out there or not...a legit, 2nd pair NHL RHD is a HELL if a lot better than the rest of what well have available. If we expose him (after trading for a younger replacement), SEA almost assuredly takes him over the other scraps we'd have lying about.

Other teams will probably have better options, especially cap/value wise.

If Gio doesn't retire Flames will lose him to Seattle.

Wild have three D that have NMC(Spurgeon/Brodin/Suter) leaving Dumba available. They also have two NMC at forward(Parise/Zuccarello) perhaps maybe making protecting 8 less than ideal but who knows.

Canes could either lose a roster D or Bean(who's having a decent rookie year).

Habs are gonna have to expose Chiarot or Edmundson.

Hawks probably gonna lose one of Murphy/Zadorov/De Hann.

Lightning could lose Foote(Also having decent rookie year) even if they want to protect all four of (Hedman/Cernak/Sergachev/McDonagh). If they don't protect 4D they probably expose Cernak.

Jets could lose Demelo or Stanley.

Caps could lose one of Dillon/Schultz or maybe even Orlov(heard his name mentioned).

Avs situation is another to keep tabs on.

Ducks have Lindholm/Fowler/Shattenkirk/Manson and now Fleury. Two of Shattenkirk/Manson/Fleury probably get exposed.

Blues have Scandella/Faulk/Krug/Parayko. I'd figure Scandello is the odd man out with Dunn(who's having a decent season).

Probably other teams I have missed. Likely not all teams I mentioned will expose the players mention/implied(Canes roster D/Wild/Avs doubtful) but still a solid list of potential defenseman.

Then there's the fact that if they play the cap right they could take advantage of teams needing to dump quality players in the offseason(ie Schmidt). Or they can even go after FAs in a flat cap world where some quality players could be had cheap.

With all that said I really doubt they pick Myers. We aren't giving them too many good options overall.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Other teams will probably have better options, especially cap/value wise.

If Gio doesn't retire Flames will lose him to Seattle.

Wild have three D that have NMC(Spurgeon/Brodin/Suter) leaving Dumba available. They also have two NMC at forward(Parise/Zuccarello) perhaps maybe making protecting 8 less than ideal but who knows.

Canes could either lose a roster D or Bean(who's having a decent rookie year).

Habs are gonna have to expose Chiarot or Edmundson.

Hawks probably gonna lose one of Murphy/Zadorov/De Hann.

Lightning could lose Foote(Also having decent rookie year) even if they want to protect all four of (Hedman/Cernak/Sergachev/McDonagh). If they don't protect 4D they probably expose Cernak.

Jets could lose Demelo or Stanley.

Caps could lose one of Dillon/Schultz or maybe even Orlov(heard his name mentioned).

Avs situation is another to keep tabs on.

Ducks have Lindholm/Fowler/Shattenkirk/Manson and now Fleury. Two of Shattenkirk/Manson/Fleury probably get exposed.

Blues have Scandella/Faulk/Krug/Parayko. I'd figure Scandello is the odd man out with Dunn(who's having a decent season).

Probably other teams I have missed. Likely not all teams I mentioned will expose the players mention/implied(Canes roster D/Wild/Avs doubtful) but still a solid list of potential defenseman.

Then there's the fact that if they play the cap right they could take advantage of teams needing to dump quality players in the offseason(ie Schmidt). Or they can even go after FAs in a flat cap world where some quality players could be had cheap.

With all that said I really doubt they pick Myers. We aren't giving them too many good options overall.

That's all nice but again, this isn't about what they can get from other teams, this is what they can get from the Canucks. If we do in fact expose Myers, he's far and away our best player we'd be exposing. Like it's laughingly not even close. He's a legit, 2nd pair, right handed, NHL D.

Even if they only take him to trade him right back to teams who just lost their 4th best D, they're going to take a legit, 2nd pair, right handed, NHL D before the rest of our scraps.

They're getting free cars from every team, just because other teams might expose Porsches, doesn't mean they'd pass over our F150 for our rusty Pinto's.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1