The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Madison Bowey, 2021 5th-round pick to Canucks for 2021 4th-round pick

Just now, aGENT said:

That's all nice but again, this isn't about what they can get from other teams, this is what they can get from the Canucks. If we do in fact expose Myers, he's far and away or best player we'd be exposing. Like it's laughingly not even close. He's a legit, 2nd pair, right handed, NHL D.

Even if they only take him to trade him right back to teams who just lost their 4th best D, they're going to take a legit, 2nd pair, right handed, NHL D before the rest of our scraps.

They're getting free cars from every team, just because other teams might expose Porsches, doesn't mean they're pass over our F150 for our rusty Pinto's.

Yeah but you're just not acknowledging his 6M cap hit in a flat cap world. He's slightly overpaid under normal circumstances and the current set of circumstances(flat cap) amplify it

Compared to some of the names I have mentioned who have more value(better bang for their buck) and the fact they can take advantage of the cap via cap dumps/FA in they play their cards right makes someone like Myers is less than ideal.

Just because he's the best option talent-wise on the Canucks doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea to take him.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Convincing John said:

I’ve complemented him quite a few time. I like the Bowey trade, I like making room for OJ but I’m not really happy with  Gaud’s deal. Although I complained that we only got Motte and that backfired. 

I feel like Benning HAD to move Gaudette. Things like this happen all the time in the NHL. Highmore might become Motte 2.0 but he very well could be Hawrlyuk 2.0 either way gaudette needed to move on.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah but you're just not acknowledging his 6M cap hit in a flat cap world. He's slightly overpaid under normal circumstances and the current set of circumstances(flat cap) amplify it

Compared to some of the names I have mentioned who have more value(better bang for their buck) and the fact they can take advantage of the cap via cap dumps/FA in they play their cards right makes someone like Myers is less than ideal.

Just because he's the best option talent-wise on the Canucks doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea to take him.

I really don't think they'll care he's 'overpaid' $500k due to Covid.

Shiny F150 or Pintos.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Pod fell to us too and I am hoping he turns into a steal as well. We need more players with his skillset. 

Hockey as a whole need players with his skillset. I seriously feel like he could be a love child of Marian Hossa and Esa tikkanen. A pit bull with a great 2 way game and some skill... a rare skillset for sure!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I really don't think they'll care he's 'overpaid' $500k due to Covid.

Shiny F150 or Pintos.

Myers definitely is costly like a truck. Wish he was electric like the players on the ELC's.

I figured you were in agreement that he was slightly overpaid for but had to be in order to sign him initially. Perhaps I presume too much.

Nevertheless we found the fundamental disagreement. Agree to disagree on whether or not he's overpaid. I know better than to get into a back and forth with you. We're both stubborn people(set in our ways/opinions). I don't know if you remember sometime back in 2013-16 prior to our name changes when we got into a 20+ page debate on whether or not to trade Tanev during the rebuild. We were civil throughout but that debate got nowhere. I don't have that sort of energy/desire to debate like that much anymore though I do enjoy those sort of in-depth hockey discussions where we aren't personally attacking each other.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

We're exposing a bunch of nothing. Better players out there or not...a legit, 2nd pair NHL RHD is a HELL if a lot better than the rest of what well have available. If we expose him (after trading for a younger replacement), SEA almost assuredly takes him over the other scraps we'd have lying about.

Can’t imagine Seattle picking Myers given how Leiweke calls analytics a way of life. If private models are anywhere close to public models then there should be a fair number of more efficient Ds available.  Would expect Seattle to pick someone for their farm team from Vancouver.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Can’t imagine Seattle picking Myers given how Leiweke calls analytics a way of life. If private models are anywhere close to public models then there should be a fair number of more efficient Ds available.  Woukd expect Seattle to pick someone for their farm team from Vancouver.

Yeah... That's great and all but Myers is an actual 2nd pair NHL D.

Again, even if they simply trade him right back out because they 'don't like his analytics', he's FAR better than our next best option. Who is this 'better option prospect'?

Besides, right now we're not exposing him any way, so it's a moot point.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Can’t imagine Seattle picking Myers given how Leiweke calls analytics a way of life. If private models are anywhere close to public models then there should be a fair number of more efficient Ds available.  Would expect Seattle to pick someone for their farm team from Vancouver.

Yeah im thinking at the moment it's Gadjovich (assuming we protect EP, BB, JM, BH, TP, Motte and lind) or maybe rafferty. I don't think Seattle takes a money on unless they are paid to do so. This is the perfect Strom for Seattle. They can really cash in on teams desperate to shed salary.

6 hours ago, stawns said:

That year they had him, Draisaitl and Morrissey they were on another level.  I went 10+ games that year and Bowey was so dominant.

He almost has that power forward development syndrome. Relying on size and a physical advantage in Jr. Turning pro removes that advantage and it’s really hard to adjust to defending forwards as big and faster than you are. He isn’t even close to a write off and I’m quite pleased with this trade. We need this dimension in our Dcore. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah... That's great and all but Myers is an actual 2nd pair NHL D.

Again, even if they simply trade him right back out because they 'don't like his analytics', he's FAR better than our next best option. Who is this 'better option prospect'?

Besides, right now we're not exposing him any way, so it's a moot point.

There have not been many scouting opportunities with the pandemic and it sounds like several teams have invested more into analytics. It's becoming more widely used.  Several of those websites have closed as they are being hired by teams.  There’s no guarantee they would find a taker and it’s still a flat cap.

Ahead of their GM selection process they talked of analysing the candidates' track record, not just drafting but also contract signing efficiency. 

They are picking 30 players and need some for their farm team.  Someone like Brisebois or an AHL veteran like Graovac or Sautner can help prospect development.

Edited by mll

7 minutes ago, mll said:

There have not been many scouting opportunities with the pandemic and it sounds like several teams have invested more into analytics. It's becoming more widely used.  Several of those websites have closed as they are being hired by teams.  There’s no guarantee they would find a taker and it’s still a flat cap.

Ahead of their GM selection process they talked of analysing the candidates' track record, not just drafting but also contract signing efficiency. 

They are picking 30 players and need some for their farm team.  Someone like Brisebois or an AHL veteran like Graovac or Sautner can help prospect development.

Yeah, again... Those are real fun talking points and all but legit NHL D or far lower ceiling prospect.

I don't think that's a hard choice at all.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, again... Those are real fun talking points and all but legit NHL D or far lower ceiling prospect.

So much of Seattle's selections will come down to what defenseman they are able to take from other teams though. Being an older top 4 rhd (with a pretty huge cap hit and term) might not be an absolute slam dunk need to have for them at that point. In that case they may choose to take a younger player/prospect.

Seattle will likely want to extract max value from their cap space even after the expansion draft. I really dont know if they will take a bunch of high priced vets just to do other teams favors.

Like you said, he will be protected so its moot. They might just take a flier on Virtanen if he is still around, who knows. 

I hope Bowey gets a bit of a chance but this is Juolevi's opportunity really, Bowey doesn't deserve it - he's flopped all over the NHL. Leave him for ED exposure purposes only.

Edler - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Bowey

Next season I hope we resign Hamonic because no one else is solid enough to cover Hughes' mistakes and Edler to a cheap contract, otherwise we're looking at:

Hughes - Schmidt 

Juolevi - Myers

Chatfield - Bowey

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Lol.   This is the same system that declared Alex freaking Steen the best player in hockey years ago, over players like Crosby, Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Ovi, in their  primes...it's interesting, something to add to a GMs toolbox evaluating, but that's about it.  If JB wasn't worried about exposing Myers (and time will soon tell if he will)  this deal wouldn't have happened. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, R3aL said:

So true, I wanted too trade Virtanen for him years back.

Ktown product, captain, size, right handed, produced well...

Didn't watch him play pro much but so curious what happened on his dev path other than that injury.

Hard to say and maybe a little late to hope he recaptures that ability he had when he was drafted. Hopefully all he needed was to be back in BC. 

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

I never get why people think they'll pick some unknown entity over a proven, legit nhl player because of "analytics".  If they don't protect Myers, he's gone imo. 

Seattle wants to actually win games next season.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I hope Bowey gets a bit of a chance but this is Juolevi's opportunity really, Bowey doesn't deserve it - he's flopped all over the NHL. Leave him for ED exposure purposes only.

Edler - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Bowey

Next season I hope we resign Hamonic because no one else is solid enough to cover Hughes' mistakes and Edler to a cheap contract, otherwise we're looking at:

Hughes - Schmidt 

Juolevi - Myers

Chatfield - Bowey

I'm pretty sure Tryamkin will be in the mix too