Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Madison Bowey, 2021 5th-round pick to Canucks for 2021 4th-round pick


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I never get why people think they'll pick some unknown entity over a proven, legit nhl player because of "analytics".  If they don't protect Myers, he's gone imo. 

 

Seattle wants to actually win games next season.

There's a reason why Vegas took MAF, and PIT was so desperate they paid them too as well lol.    I'm sure Seattle will take 4-5 blue chip vets with term left.   They can't manage a club without some bones or "foundational" pieces.   A Dumba/Myers right side would go a long way into securing one of the toughest areas of a team to build (50% natural RHD's in the league).    They will also load up on D's to make future trades with....Don't think Seattle will go to the final like Vegas did, but there is no reason not to think they won't have  good competitive team to start either.   Sucks for us as they likely will be a tougher club to beat them ARI.    Thankfully the cali teams are all rebuilding/re-tooling and something is wrong with CAL.     See Vegas, EDM taking the top two spots, with CAL/VAN/Seattle playing for the third and one or both wild card spots next season. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Lol.   This is the same system that declared Alex freaking Steen the best player in hockey years ago, over players like Crosby, Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Ovi, in their  primes...it's interesting, something to add to a GMs toolbox evaluating, but that's about it.  If JB wasn't worried about exposing Myers (and time will soon tell if he will)  this deal wouldn't have happened. 

 

Not every GM run their team the same way.  The ones that see value in analytics won’t perceive players the same way as those who don’t.

 

There have been numerous analytics sites shut down as they are being hired by NHL teams.  Clearly some teams see value in those numbers.

 

The head of analytics in Seattle was co-founder of the site war-on-ice that has developed similar concepts.  

 

Given that Seattle owner Leiweke says that analytics is more than a department and calls it a way of life, it feels unlikely that Myers would be picked.

 

Edited by mll
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, stawns said:

I never get why people think they'll pick some unknown entity over a proven, legit nhl player because of "analytics".  If they don't protect Myers, he's gone imo. 

 

Seattle wants to actually win games next season.

They have to pick 30 players and an NHL roster is only 23.  They are going to pick players who won’t make their team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mll said:

They have to pick 30 players and an NHL roster is only 23.  They are going to pick players who won’t make their team. 

Yes... and the smart play (should we even expose Myers) would be to select Myers and then trade him back to one of the teams that just lost their 4th best D for a prospect likely better than say Gadjovich as their alternative, and likely also get an additional draft pick and maybe even a lesser, warm NHL body to go with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mll said:

They have to pick 30 players and an NHL roster is only 23.  They are going to pick players who won’t make their team. 

In those 30 picks, can't they utilize the UFA market, trade picks for players, or take on cap dumps for picks/players?  I'm sure they could do better than anything the Canucks are offering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes... and the smart play (should we even expose Myers) would be to select Myers and then trade him back to one of the teams that just lost their 4th best D for a prospect likely better than say Gadjovich as their alternative, and likely also get an additional draft pick and maybe even a lesser, warm NHL body to go with it.

It’s a flat cap and they might not find takers. 

 

When Tanev signed several commented that his contract is too long.  Myers and Tanev are born 1.5 month apart and their contracts end at the same time.  Why wouldn't teams wonder that as well as the cap is projected to stay flat for a while per Bettman.   

 

Most GMs don’t just go day-by-day but try to project longer term when building their team.  It’s 6M for someone who might not be worth that amount through the length of his contract and it’s already questionable whether he is worth that contract today.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mll said:

It’s a flat cap and they might not find takers. 

 

When Tanev signed several commented that his contract is too long.  Myers and Tanev are born 1.5 month apart and their contracts end at the same time.  Why wouldn't teams wonder that as well as the cap is projected to stay flat for a while per Bettman.   

 

Most GMs don’t just go day-by-day but try to project longer term when building their team.  It’s 6M for someone who might not be worth that amount through the length of his contract and it’s already questionable whether he is worth that contract today.

 

Myers didn't have Tanev's injury history, which is very much the source of concern with his contract length. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Myers didn't have Tanev's injury history, which is very much the source of concern with his contract length. 

Funny though, how Tanev's injuries went down when Myers got signed. Could it be he was playing too many hard minutes all himself...?:rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope Bowey can really find his game with us, what a coup that would be if he does.  Turning 26 this year which is still young for a Dman trying to round out his game.  If he doesn't, it's not the end of the world and he can play the #6/7 role while punching faces when necessary.  Wonder if he'll get in some games before the end of the season with quarantine and all.  Excited to watch him more closely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stawns said:

I never get why people think they'll pick some unknown entity over a proven, legit nhl player because of "analytics".  If they don't protect Myers, he's gone imo. 

 

Seattle wants to actually win games next season.

They are picking their whole team though. There are many good reasons to not take on aguy likeMyers from their perspective. Cap space is the most valuable commodity in the NHL right now. 

 

They may take Myers if he is exposed (he wont be) but it really would depend on how their D picks from other teams go. His age combined with his contract is a big deterrent if cheaper comparable players can be taken from other teams to fill out their D.

 

I expect Seattle will specifically avoid players like Myers unless paid to take them. They will probably try to preserve as much of their cap space as they can to use at and after the expansion draft to take on cap hit players in order to gather other assets. 

 

Looking at the potential D they will have access to, I doubt Myers is a must have for them. 

 

For those saying Seattle would take Myers just to turn around and trade him, who exactly would trade for that contract? Not many teams can afford it without moving another contract out. If Seattle wants that contract they will just make a deal with that team to give them cap relief. Teams value thatmost right now andI expectSeattle to take full advantage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of what Seattle does I doubt they replicate Vegas’ success... Karlsson, Marchessault, Smith, Perron and Huala all had career years their 1st with Vegas.

 

They also did really well with pickups like Tuch and Theodore... and Schmidt elevated his game in Vegas plus Flurey regained his form.  
 

“Golden Knights” since literally everything they touched turned to gold.  
 

I can’t see Seattle nailing that many picks. Maybe young guys.  But to have mid/late 20s guys pull career years?  Would be surprising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yes... and the smart play (should we even expose Myers) would be to select Myers and then trade him back to one of the teams that just lost their 4th best D for a prospect likely better than say Gadjovich as their alternative, and likely also get an additional draft pick and maybe even a lesser, warm NHL body to go with it.

Not many teams can afford a 6 mil 4th D though. 

 

If Seattle took Myers to trade him, it would probably be necessary to retain cap to be able to trade him. They might get a net benefit that way but I can't see why they wouldn't just cut out the middle man and take on a cap dump from the other team directly rather than use up one of their entry selections.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ilduce39 said:

Regardless of what Seattle does I doubt they replicate Vegas’ success... Karlsson, Marchessault, Smith, Perron and Huala all had career years their 1st with Vegas.

 

They also did really well with pickups like Tuch and Theodore... and Schmidt elevated his game in Vegas plus Flurey regained his form.  
 

“Golden Knights” since literally everything they touched turned to gold.  
 

I can’t see Seattle nailing that many picks. Maybe young guys.  But to have mid/late 20s guys pull career years?  Would be surprising.

I do think Vegas was a perfect storm in many ways. I doubt it goes as perfectly for Seattle. But I do think they are going to end up with a good team.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not many teams can afford a 6 mil 4th D though. 

 

If Seattle took Myers to trade him, it would probably be necessary to retain cap to be able to trade him. They might get a net benefit that way but I can't see why they wouldn't just cut out the middle man and take on a cap dump from the other team directly rather than use up one of their entry selections.

Seattle will have to have the minimum CAP rate of $60.2 million, no? 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

I hope it works out for Madison here, if he gets a chance to play. That being said, he has a massive hurdle to overcome......Nolan Baumgartner. Good luck, Madison. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They are picking their whole team though. There are many good reasons to not take on aguy likeMyers from their perspective. Cap space is the most valuable commodity in the NHL right now. 

 

They may take Myers if he is exposed (he wont be) but it really would depend on how their D picks from other teams go. His age combined with his contract is a big deterrent if cheaper comparable players can be taken from other teams to fill out their D.

 

I expect Seattle will specifically avoid players like Myers unless paid to take them. They will probably try to preserve as much of their cap space as they can to use at and after the expansion draft to take on cap hit players in order to gather other assets. 

 

Looking at the potential D they will have access to, I doubt Myers is a must have for them. 

 

For those saying Seattle would take Myers just to turn around and trade him, who exactly would trade for that contract? Not many teams can afford it without moving another contract out. If Seattle wants that contract they will just make a deal with that team to give them cap relief. Teams value thatmost right now andI expectSeattle to take full advantage.

That's a fair point

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Seattle will have to have the minimum CAP rate of $60.2 million, no? 

They will have no issue getting to the minimum without taking a player like Myers at 6 mil per year. If he was exposed I would bet a lot they would not select him unless paid other assets to do so. It just doesn't fit with what makes sense for them right off the hop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...