The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Madison Bowey, 2021 5th-round pick to Canucks for 2021 4th-round pick

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Expansion draft fodder.

The Canucks needing to acquire a guy to be used in the expansion draft was something I was suggesting some time ago. I even suggested Chicago/Bowey as an example of a team/player who could be trade partners. Other posters remarked (and rightly so) that Bowey was probably Chicago's sacrificial lamb for the draft (so they wouldn't need to expose one of Keith De Haan or Murphy - assuming the Hawks wanted to protect all three of these guys), and I agreed with their point, but I figured a trade along these lines was something which the Canucks would investigate.

So, what the heck happened? The Hawks look like they could still use Bowey to cover their exposure needs, so why give up Bowey? Or do the Hawks figure they will lose someone good regardless of Bowey being there, so why not get something for him?

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

The question is why we had to give up a 4th? We got a 6th for Benn but we give up a 4th for a much worst defender. It doesnt add up.

As been said, the difference between a 4th & a 5th isn't that much once you get that far down the draft.  Sure it's "something".  Just not alot imho.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

well, I rather expose Myers. Thats the one contract we should get rid of in order to open up more cap space. Rather have Tryamkin playing than Myers.

I can’t wait till the dust settles and Benning realizes there are to many beads on the salary cap side of his abacus.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

We got a 5th back.  It didn't cost us a fourth, it cost us the gap between our 4th and their 5th.

Given how bad Chicago is, the difference between us and Chicago is very small. Plus we have a player we can slot in right away if need be.

If this move was made primarily to protect Myers in Expansion, then I am not happy at all. 

If this move was made to bring in a reclamation RHD for cheap who can fill out our depleted roster for the year, then I'm content. 

I will choose the second option for now. 

Just now, hammertime said:

Does he meet the minimum requrements for exposure in the ED so we aren't forced to expose Myers???

If so I don't mind this one bit.

Yes, he fills the ED requirements for us.  

This is a really nice move for the Canucks.  If he puts it together, he is a perfect fit, big RHD.  If he doesn't, which is likely the case, he fills our ED spot and gives us flexibility.  It cost us 1 round in the draft, which will be a bigger crapshoot than ever this year.  

• Cheers 2