The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Madison Bowey, 2021 5th-round pick to Canucks for 2021 4th-round pick

Canuck fans before realizing that a player has been acquired to meet exposure requirements in the upcoming expansion draft: :mad::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::mad::picard:

Canuck fans after realizing that a player has been acquired to meet exposure requirements in the upcoming expansion draft: :emot-parrot::gocan::wub::canucks::):):):):emot-parrot::emot-parrot:

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

What happens to UFAs Edler and Hamonic next season?

I'd rather they keep Hamonic, if they could keep one.

Both have reasons to take discount contracts so we'll see. Hamonic wants to stay in western Canada cuz of some family stuff in Manitoba and Edler has played here his whole career plus played major junior in BC; he purposely signed a two-year contract to be a ED protected in a different way. Both are also nearing retirement. Good that Benning gave himself some flexibility in who he exposes with all that in mind.

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

How is this a bad thing again to have flexibility?

Oh wait, you're obscenely biased. Never mind. I'm writing to the wrong person.

I was being facetious overall, but the worry is still very real.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

:lol: take off the Benning hate goggles for a minute and pretend its Bergevin you like. He dealt with expansion nearly for free. Now we have options and can give Seattle even less than we gave Vegas. 

How hard would it have been to "deal with expansion"? We don't have enough good players to protect, it was never a problem lol.

The only problem is them potentially squandering the opportunity to get out of that Myers contract (not that I'm confident Seattle would take him).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pick swap is basically meaningless, once you get into the success percentages on three digit numbered picks.

So, for basically the cost of a contract slot, we add a guy who can meet exposure requirements, and gain some flexibility on our protected list (don’t have to expose Myers).

And, I suppose we add a RH shot depth Dman with some “last chance” upside, as a reclamation project, on a cheap contract through next season.

But wow, Bowey’s fancy stats are really something. :sick:

I’d like to think that most posters are aware of his awful defensive game, but these stats make it very clear.  Nice one. 

Think Ron Francis is going to add his “character”??

Who doesn’t want someone like Bowie, posting crackhead-ish videos of himself, when assembling a culture from scratch? 

714A067F-09F1-4D57-8171-CFB75157EF37.png.15e27cf4ed1a3a90e71eea96a9de6a44.png

Quite the expansion draft-fodder gamble by JB here. 

Really, who would take this guy?  Only us... and we traded to do it, rather than using the wire.  :wacko:

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why is this such a terrible idea? Myers gets a very bad rep around here for some reason. I'm not sure why. 

He's big, people expect big things from big people and can never ever get over not getting big things.

Edited by gurn

28 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

For those complaining about waivers, players like Bowen are more valuable once they pass waivers as we can just put him on the taxi squad and have his cap essentially removed. If we pick someone on waivers. The player has to he on the active roaster and eat into our already capped cap.

Also a waiver pick up also would take up a spot from the kids that we should he playing for tue rest of the season. 

we need more people like you on these boards 

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

How hard would it have been to "deal with expansion"?

so whats you problem? you don't like things being done easily and cheaply?

We don't have enough good players to protect, it was never a problem lol.

The only problem is them potentially squandering the opportunity to get out of that Myers contract (not that I'm confident Seattle would take him).

who says Jim won't? you don't know what he's going to do, but at least now they aren't forced into a decision.

The Benning hate is out of control, this was a sound move. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so whats you problem? you don't like things being done easily and cheaply?

who says Jim won't? you don't know what he's going to do, but at least now they aren't forced into a decision.

The Benning hate is out of control, this was a sound move. 

Other than paying a bit for a player that was already available on waivers, I don't mind this move.

Like I said, in general I was being facetious; options are good.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Josepho said:

If Benning planned this better, he could've gotten someone to expose without surrendering assets. The Stars literally claimed Vatanen on waivers today, we could've done that.

But he's an idiot, he doesn't plan. He never plans. 

However, if the goal was to get a guy who could fill  the need for a d-man to be exposed in the expansion draft, Bowey fills that need, Vatanen does not. Assuming Bowey doesn't get picked by Seattle (which is likely) he has a minimal contract for only one year.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

Other than paying a bit for a player that was already available on waivers, I don't mind this move.

Like I said, in general I was being facetious; options are good.

ah OK. 

We need to entice Seattle to take Holtby primarily, I think we can always retain on Myers if we really need to move him down the road, the market for RHD is always one that seems to be there. 

• Cheers 2

There's a lot to like about this Bowey boy... last summer I was already hoping JB would pick him up... young, good size, R-hand shot... he got 17 pts in 53 games last season with the very bad Wings team.... forget the -16 for a second!! lol....

So.. we might have a more offensive version of Caufield... we should thank Jordie for having a decent season so the Jets gave us a 6th rounder for him!