The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

-DLC-

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

Adam Gaudette and a 4th rnd pick to Cicago for Matthew Highmore, Madison Bowey, and a 5th rnd pick

Not sure this deal works in our favor. While, up until this season, Gauds was trending upwards, neither Highmore nor Bowey were doing anything to suggest they were about to break out. Analysts on Sportsnet, however, seem very intrigued with Highmore coming to Vancouver so maybe there may be something significant to this move. As I'm simply going off stats and can't claim to even know who Highmore is, they seem to have more insight then I do so I reserve any real opinion on this player until I see what he brings.

Bowey, on the other hand, is a player who I was really high on when he was drafted. Unfortunately, to this point in his career, he has not lived up to the hype but I definitely hope he finds his game here. Although I am far from a pro manager, scout, or coach, it would seem logical for him to get back to what got him drafted. Getting back to a speedy, hard-nosed defender with a good first pass would be of great benefit to him. Keep it simple and play to his strengths and work on being a responsible defender. We could definitely use him on the right side if he can come around.

Jordie Benn to Winnipeg for a 6th rnd pick

No brainer here. There was no plan to re-sign him. Getting a pick is a win.

The Gaudette deal definitely has the potential to blow up in JB's face. Although I've said in other threads that, imo, the fit for Gauds here feels wrong, I definitely feel JB sold low and re-signing him one more time to give him a full season to return to the upward trending player he was last year may have been the more prudent move so I hope for his sake Highmore and Bowey turn into what we need, namely a #2 LW and a top 4 RD. If not, we may be chalking up another mistake by JB.

The Bowey acquisition appears to be strictly for ED purposes. Now they will be able to protect Myers, Schmidt and OJ, which I always assumed was the plan. Highmore is a Motte type player, good skater, hard worker, who will eat up fourth line and PK minutes and not bitch about doing it. They see Pods coming in to play on the 2nd or 3rd line, Lind appears ready for 3C. We'll get a chance to see if Boyd or Vessey are good enough to deserve a new contract. In the end, JB saw no place for Gauds, who fancied himself a top-six player.

• Vintage 1

Was Gaudette not an Rfa? If so, he was due a healthy raise for next year. By trading him they avoid the extra salary next year, and can give the opportunity to a player that better suits the position they need filled.

Also, i wonder alot about how much gaudette bringing covid into the dressing room affected this trade. Combined with his wifes comments. He was traded befire he could be back ina room with his teamates. It may be coincidence, but very possibly not.

Edited by GrandpaCanuck
  • Cheers 4

Looking at Benning's tone during the discussion, he was not happy with Gaudette at all. Benning's too honest for his own good.

There's a lot of behind the scenes stuff we don't and won't likely know. Gaudette's wife is only a glimpse of what they are like.

• Like 1

I’m more Curious what the hell benning keeps looking at in his zoom interviews :lol:

it was a meh deadline. C+

Seattle expansion draft compliant -

cheap cost certainty for next year -

Trade a enigmatic forward who no one really knew what he was -

acquire a pick and not retain salary -

Didn’t move sutter -

he got some work done going into the off season 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

AG WANTED out of VAN thats the bottom line. 

I dont care who tells me what, he likely asked for this trade period. 

IDK if it was his in ability to see that the people commenting on the COVID stuff were not representative of

the whole fan base. OR he saw the writing on the wall in terms of his spot on the team and used the

COVID bullshyt to leverage himself out of VAN. 

A small part of me thinks there is a minor insurrection occurring on the Canucks that might have roots

that go back to the firing of Mark Donnelly, IF we had or have ANY anti maskers on the team (Jordie

Benn) this was highly likely to cause some problems. 

Not saying I agree with that point of view but when Donnelly was fired for the reasons he was fired,

the way he was fired, I knew there would be some backlash and I think this is it. Could also explain 

why Miller has been out of sorts as well.

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

16 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

AG WANTED out of VAN thats the bottom line. 

I dont care who tells me what, he likely asked for this trade period. 

IDK if it was his in ability to see that the people commenting on the COVID stuff were not representative of

the whole fan base. OR he saw the writing on the wall in terms of his spot on the team and used the

COVID bullshyt to leverage himself out of VAN. 

A small part of me thinks there is a minor insurrection occurring on the Canucks that might have roots

that go back to the firing of Mark Donnelly, IF we had or have ANY anti maskers on the team (Jordie

Benn) this was highly likely to cause some problems. 

Not saying I agree with that point of view but when Donnelly was fired for the reasons he was fired,

the way he was fired, I knew there would be some backlash and I think this is it. Could also explain 

why Miller has been out of sorts as well.

This is just made up partner.

• Cheers 2

So gaudette didn’t impress while playing with the likes of super stars like sutter and roussell who must clearly impress Jb with their play.

third fourth line minutes no pp and was never put in a position to succeed better call him out in the media what moron for a Gm 

why this idiot hasn’t been fired. Sad sack excuses are dim Jim’s real specialty. 

Edited by combover
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

• -DLC- unpinned and unfeatured this topic
13 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Gaudette and Benn were mad because the election was stolen and demanded to be traded from this hotbed of lefties and Marxists.  Neighbour's cat heard it through the grapevine.

Oh yeah...well my sister in law's dog Polly says. Woof...woof...woof. 

I've never seen a 12 week old dog who walks 5 minutes then stops, then has to be carried for 5 minutes. 

My niece is right. Get Polly a stroller. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Oh yeah...well my sister in law's dog Polly says. Woof...woof...woof. 

I've never seen a 12 week old dog who walks 5 minutes then stops, then has to be carried for 5 minutes. 

My niece is right. Get Polly a stroller. 

Our building banned dogs and told people to keep their cats indoors. How freaking ridiculous.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, BPA said:

If JB was really selling, he could have traded Virtanen and Sutter (50% retained) for a lower return. 

Given the guys who've cleared waivers recently, i'm not sure JV wouldn't too.   Sutter ... well if he did try nobody bit.