The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Media Availability

Rate this topic

-DLC-

46 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Oh yeah...well my sister in law's dog Polly says. Woof...woof...woof. 

I've never seen a 12 week old dog who walks 5 minutes then stops, then has to be carried for 5 minutes. 

My niece is right. Get Polly a stroller. 

253DBE35-FFD6-4717-9BDC-1EC3BA9D015A.gif

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh that's right! I forgot Lind is also playing C. They also now have Highmore. Any chance Focht gets a opportunity next season? 

Focht isn't ready yet. Lind I would argue isn't ready yet either however would be good on a powerplay. He's a great finisher but not exactly much of a play driver or playmaker. Very similar to Gaudette honestly. Probably better finish than Gaudette though. Think of Gaudette last season. 

1 hour ago, combover said:

So gaudette didn’t impress while playing with the likes of super stars like sutter and roussell who must clearly impress Jb with their play.

third fourth line minutes no pp and was never put in a position to succeed better call him out in the media what moron for a Gm 

why this idiot hasn’t been fired. Sad sack excuses are dim Jim’s real specialty. 

This is exactly it. Even a kid like Hoglander would get absolutely swallowed up on that line. Hoglander would definitely look better but it's still a death trap for point getting. 

1 hour ago, combover said:

So gaudette didn’t impress while playing with the likes of super stars like sutter and roussell who must clearly impress Jb with their play.

third fourth line minutes no pp and was never put in a position to succeed better call him out in the media what moron for a Gm 

why this idiot hasn’t been fired. Sad sack excuses are dim Jim’s real specialty. 

Just give it up and shave it off already

2 hours ago, GrandpaCanuck said:

Was Gaudette not an Rfa? If so, he was due a healthy raise for next year. By trading him they avoid the extra salary next year, and can give the opportunity to a player that better suits the position they need filled.

Also, i wonder alot about how much gaudette bringing covid into the dressing room affected this trade. Combined with his wifes comments. He was traded befire he could be back ina room with his teamates. It may be coincidence, but very possibly not.

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Shirotashi said:

AG WANTED out of VAN thats the bottom line. 

I dont care who tells me what, he likely asked for this trade period. 

IDK if it was his in ability to see that the people commenting on the COVID stuff were not representative of

the whole fan base. OR he saw the writing on the wall in terms of his spot on the team and used the

COVID bullshyt to leverage himself out of VAN. 

A small part of me thinks there is a minor insurrection occurring on the Canucks that might have roots

that go back to the firing of Mark Donnelly, IF we had or have ANY anti maskers on the team (Jordie

Benn) this was highly likely to cause some problems. 

Not saying I agree with that point of view but when Donnelly was fired for the reasons he was fired,

the way he was fired, I knew there would be some backlash and I think this is it. Could also explain 

why Miller has been out of sorts as well.

Gaudette was in no position to ask for a trade.
Even if he did, JB has no obligation to honour it. If Gaudette wanted out, JB would've either gotten more in return, or waited until there was a better deal on the table. But he didn't. There was urgency on management's end to take such a seeminglessly pointless deal.

To only receive Highmore looks to me like the team simply gave up on Gaudette and had to move him before he becomes an RFA, have to waste expansion protection on him, or lose him to Seattle for nothing.

The team lost faith in Gaudette. Highmore is better than nothing. That's all it is.

• Cheers 2

Gaudette joins the list of young players given up on too early by the Canucks. Again, HORRIBLE asset management by a one-trick pony GM. Gaudette was a gem discovered by departed/ousted Director of Scouting, Judd Brackett. The first Canucks NCAA prospect to win the Hobey Baker Award as well. Unbelievable.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, billabong said:

I’m more Curious what the hell benning keeps looking at in his zoom interviews :lol:

it was a meh deadline. C+

I think a C+ is too generous. I would actually give him a C-  but then again a C- is actually good for Benning's standards.

But his in ability to move either Sutter is inexcusable.

i don't like the gaudette trade one bit.. i would move him for draft picks.. not another plug that can barely play in the NHL.. we'll have just as good of a chance to draft a plug that can play a couple games in the NHL like highmore.. and bowey? we could have had him for free on the waiver and we had to downgrade a draft pick for it?? sure it's only a 4th rounder to a 5th rounder.. but you guys rave about his drafting all the time.. i give him a D for what he traded and what he got in return.. bowey is for expansion draft? there's plenty of ppl u can pluck off waiver for expansion draft.. and no we don't need to protect myer.. seattle realistcally would not take myer when they could have just saved the cap space and take on 1 or 2 year bad contracts along with a great prospect or 1st rounders.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The Bowey deal makes sense, its a very cheap expansion solution. I doubt he ever cracks the lineup but if he makes it into the top 8 thats a bonus.

Benn for a 6th, thats about right for this year.

Losing AG is a bit of a stinger tho. That ones going to be debated for a few years I think, unless Highmore comes in and we have two Motte level players. I'm not buying into the hate fest that he got moved because of covid, thats just goofy. 

Will be debated and forgotten in a few years. Here's hoping he turns into a Motte 2.0

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Gaudette was in no position to ask for a trade.
Even if he did, JB has no obligation to honour it. If Gaudette wanted out, JB would've either gotten more in return, or waited until there was a better deal on the table. But he didn't. There was urgency on management's end to take such a seeminglessly pointless deal.

To only receive Highmore looks to me like the team simply gave up on Gaudette and had to move him before he becomes an RFA, have to waste expansion protection on him, or lose him to Seattle for nothing.

The team lost faith in Gaudette. Highmore is better than nothing. That's all it is.

How can you say that? I think the team loved Gaudette. I know I did, loved his energy he had

a knack for scoring well timed goals. What wasnt to love about Gaudette?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BPA said:

If JB was really selling, he could have traded Virtanen and Sutter (50% retained) for a lower return. 

Both players are Deadwood and totally worthless.  Who would sigh either in their right minds.   Sutter will be let go and Lazy Jake moved after the season.   

Edited by RU SERIOUS

12 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Maybe the Canucks don't want to sell low on Virtanen. Gaudette's situation seems to be more of a behind the scenes thing, even though they insist it being a business.

That's what I was thinking too.  Do you think there's any truth to the twitter reports that Gaudette's purge was payback for his girlfriend going up to Whistler, catching Covid and then spreading it to the entire team thru Gaud?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

How can you say that? I think the team loved Gaudette. I know I did, loved his energy he had

a knack for scoring well timed goals. What wasnt to love about Gaudette?

In all fairness,  he did have drive and skill and I was surprised to see them give up on him Vs. a worthless player like lazy Jake.  But as many mentioned, there was some urgency to dumping him for whatever they could get because the guy they got in return appears "on paper" to be farm team kind of player and appears to be a fire sale.

49 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Both players are Deadwood and totally worthless.  Who would sigh either in their right minds.   Sutter will be let go and Lazy Jake moved after the season.   

But but but but ... Sutter is a foundational piece and has the intangibles that will help any team be competitive :bigblush:

• Thanks 1

Benning  on Highmore” we think given the right opportunity he can score more” (Well he couldn’t  score any less  at any level) 

so does that mean he won’t burried on a third line with sutter and AR who’ve combined for 5 points and then come out to the media and throw him under the bus like you just did with gaudette.

benning is next level stupid not only should he not be an nhl GM he shouldn’t be allowed to do any unscripted media events ever. 

Winner - Gaudette getting away from the worst GM and his AHL coach.

loser- canuck fans  because of the  usual Jim the total idiot Benning stupidity. 

A34E025C-ACC3-46F8-BA92-10052326D603.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Gaudette joins the list of young players given up on too early by the Canucks. Again, HORRIBLE asset management by a one-trick pony GM. Gaudette was a gem discovered by departed/ousted Director of Scouting, Judd Brackett. The first Canucks NCAA prospect to win the Hobey Baker Award as well. Unbelievable.

like who? who in particular? 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

like who? who in particular? 

I can only think of two players in the history of this team that were given up too early. I've been here since they joined the NHL as well. Cam Neely and to a certain extent Michael Grabner. Honourable mention Mike Peca, but his career was shortened by injury. Would he have been concussed here or elsewhere?