The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthew Highmore | #15 | LW/C

-AJ-

One thing I noticed while pulling these stats is that Highmore is used in defensive situations quite a bit, especially this year so far. Maybe he's a penalty killer?

I noticed he also did quite well in the 2020 playoffs, so maybe he's a Tyler Motte 2.0? We can only hope.

Also, unlike Gaudette, he's already signed through to next year and is $225k cheaper. Might be Jim and the team trying to save some cap space.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

One thing I noticed while pulling these stats is that Highmore is used in defensive situations quite a bit, especially this year so far. Maybe he's a penalty killer?

I noticed he also did quite well in the 2020 playoffs, so maybe he's a Tyler Motte 2.0? We can only hope.

I remember hearing his name mentioned quite a bit in the Hawks series vs the Oilers last year, and also wondering where the heck he came from.  He seemed to have been a bit of a stand out in that series, but not sure what happened to his game this year.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I remember hearing his name mentioned quite a bit in the Hawks series vs the Oilers last year, and also wondering where the heck he came from.  He seemed to have been a bit of a stand out in that series, but not sure what happened to his game this year.

Just hope he isn't Ben Smith 2.0, haha.

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Also, unlike Gaudette, he's already signed through to next year and is $225k cheaper. Might be Jim and the team trying to save some cap space.

One of the only things that might work in Highmore’s favour is that statistically, he’s an okay penalty killer. He’s got the lowest expected goals against of any regular penalty killing Blackhawks forward. However, he’s also only averaged 28 seconds per game on the kill, so it’s quite possible that his numbers are inflated by facing second unit power plays.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Same kind of player A.J.

Matthew Highmore – Much like Carpenter, Highmore has developed into the kind of fourth-line forward that teams love to have. He brings energy offensively and is used to defend the top opposition. He stood out in the Qualifying Round with a pair of very timely goals

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Hope he's not the latest installment of trading skill for not-so-skilled.

He does have a small amount of intriguing highlights but hope he actually has more to bring to the table, esp. if a fan favorite like Gaudette is going.

3 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Think he had a shoulder injury.

Good summary thanks to Sid:

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Chicago HC Colliton’s take on Highmore (from 2020):

“Highmore is a perfect example,” Colliton said after the season. “He doesn’t play 25 shifts in a game, but the shifts he gets he knows exactly what he’s supposed to do. He goes out there, he does it 100 miles an hour, he doesn’t cheat, he wins 50-50s, he advances the puck, he gets it in, he goes to the net. That line scored three or four goals at least in the series playing against top-line competition. It’s just because he’s willing to do the right thing. I thought the other guys did too, and then he gets off. He doesn’t extend his shift, he doesn’t hang around in the offensive zone hoping to get a goal or get a second assist or get a plus (rating). If he started in D-zone, gets it out of D-zone, gets it in and 35 seconds in the alarm bells are going off in his head that he’s got to get off so that Patrick Kane can step off in a good spot, maybe playing against tired guys or in the offensive zone or on an offensive zone faceoff. We need more of that, we need it up and down the lineup.”

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theathletic.com/1790389/2020/08/27/ranking-the-blackhawks-top-40-prospects/%3famp

• Cheers 4

Will Highmore be used as a C or LW? From what I've heard, he hasn't taken many faceoffs, so not sure that'll work out. Canucks have better faceoffs guys. If he's used as a LW, does that mean Roussel could possibly be on the way out? Sounds like some media "experts" are saying he will most likely bounce back and forth from the AHL to the NHL, but Benning and his scouts had their eyes on him and really like his energy game. 

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Will Highmore be used as a C or LW? From what I've heard, he hasn't taken many faceoffs, so not sure that'll work out. Canucks have better faceoffs guys. If he's used as a LW, does that mean Roussel could possibly be on the way out? Sounds like some media "experts" are saying he will most likely bounce back and forth from the AHL to the NHL, but Benning and his scouts had their eyes on him and really like his energy game. 

I would assume he would be a LW when in the line up. Hopefully he can become Motte 2.0 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would assume he would be a LW when in the line up. Hopefully he can become Motte 2.0 

I'm assuming LW as well, due to his size and lack of experience at the position. Another Motte would be amazing. Motte is extremely good value for the player. 

I'm not as down on the trade as some.  Everyone knew we needed to rework our bottom 6- get cheaper and more efficient on both sides of the ice.  For next year we now have:

Signed

Virtanen ( I assume he goes to Seattle)

Motte

Highmore

Likely Lind

MacEwan

Bailey

Signed, but may be gone

Rousel

LE

Beagle

RFA/UFA

Vessey

Hawryluk

Boyd

Michaelis

We need a 3C and 4C for sure this offseason, and I'd like to see one tougher player added, but if we can roll with this group, I think we will have some more success than we have currently.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I'm not as down on the trade as some.  Everyone knew we needed to rework our bottom 6- get cheaper and more efficient on both sides of the ice.  For next year we now have:

Signed

Virtanen ( I assume he goes to Seattle)

Motte

Highmore

Likely Lind

MacEwan

Bailey

Signed, but may be gone

Rousel

LE

Beagle

RFA/UFA

Vessey

Hawryluk

Boyd

Michaelis

We need a 3C and 4C for sure this offseason, and I'd like to see one tougher player added, but if we can roll with this group, I think we will have some more success than we have currently.  

I think they go with Lind on that third line, they have been playing him as a centre and he's looked pretty good

1 minute ago, warrchief said:

I think they go with Lind on that third line, they have been playing him as a centre and he's looked pretty good

I think Lind probably plays in Vancouver on Friday night.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do.

14 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

How did he look tonight?  Saw him make a couple of hustle plays in the highlights, and almost thought he got the tip on Sutter's first goal. 
Seems like he was on the ice for 2 goals which is good.

i thought he looked good and yeah speedy and hard worker like motte/hawryluk be decent too see all three in the line-up, but 1 game is a small sample size.