The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthew Highmore | #15 | LW/C

-AJ-

On 4/13/2021 at 1:09 PM, warrchief said:

I think they go with Lind on that third line, they have been playing him as a centre and he's looked pretty good

I was hoping for Lowry, than that idea was thrown in the trash. Second option was Beniers and it looks like that will be thrown in the trash as well. I wouldn't be opposed to a 1 year deal with a decent cap hit for Bozak. 

If Beagle's injury is as bad as they say it is, he could be on LTIR next year and that opens up Sutter to return for the 4thbline center. I would not mind that one bit. 

Pete

Bo

Bozak

Sutts

That's not badddd.

Edited by KKnight

• -AJ- changed the title to Matthew Highmore | #15 | LW/C
8 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

i thought he looked good and yeah speedy and hard worker like motte/hawryluk be decent too see all three in the line-up, but 1 game is a small sample size.

Looked like Highmore was still getting used to the Canucks' system at a few points so definitely hard to judge after just 1 game.  Overall the Motte/Hawryluk type comparison is spot on, but he still has a ways to go so we'll see what a larger sample size brings.

I liked his game last night. I think we would be really happy If we got EP back this year and could run with a bottom 6 of:

Vessey-Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Highmore/Boyd-Hawryluk

These guys are high energy, good checkers, and I think could chip in more offense than we saw from our bottom 6 earlier this year.

The Canucks likely don't "win" the Gaudette/HIghore deal as we gave up the better player.  I do think there is a good chance we get the better Fit for our lineup though.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, KKnight said:

I was hoping for Lowry, than that idea was thrown in the trash. Second option was Beniers and it looks like that will be thrown in the trash as well. I wouldn't be opposed to a 1 year deal with a decent cap hit for Bozak. 

If Beagle's injury is as bad as they say it is, he could be on LTIR next year and that opens up Sutter to return for the 4thbline center. I would not mind that one bit. 

Pete

Bo

Bozak

Sutts

That's not badddd.

Bozak is too old. Invest the TOI in a younger option. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Bozak is too old. Invest the TOI in a younger option. 

Bozak and Sutter are going to want 4m and 3m to fill the 3rd and 4th Cs. 

The team doesn't have a prospect that can jump into the 3C spot and probably won't for another couple of years.  I wouldn't mind JB getting an older vet that is still playing well and sign for a couple of years at a cheap price.  A guy like Solderburg comes to mind.  He still plays really well and I think he could be signed for $2m x 2yr.  If Beagle is down, Boyd/Lind or Jasek might be able fill the roll, but if not, Brassard probably gets signed for 1.5m x1yr.  No limited contracts of course.

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Bozak and Sutter are going to want 4m and 3m to fill the 3rd and 4th Cs. 

The team doesn't have a prospect that can jump into the 3C spot and probably won't for another couple of years.  I wouldn't mind JB getting an older vet that is still playing well and sign for a couple of years at a cheap price.  A guy like Solderburg comes to mind.  He still plays really well and I think he could be signed for $2m x 2yr.  If Beagle is down, Boyd/Lind or Jasek might be able fill the roll, but if not, Brassard probably gets signed for 1.5m x1yr.  No limited contracts of course.

As I look at CUP contention 2 years out I rather the team focus on developing a younger option. I see value in resigning Sutter as a 3C/4C option looking out 2 maybe 3 years but with no trade protection. Boyd, Lind, and Jasek have to be evaluated now not 2 years out. 

• Cheers 1

Highmore looked fantastic in his first game as a Canuck, seems like a very good skater and a smart hockey player he got to the right spots all game and played a part in a couple of goals. 

Someone mentioned not being familiar with the system, I don’t think he looked out of place and his reads were mostly good and he also already got some pk time.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, BCNate said:

Highmore will get a huge opportunity tonight playing with JT and Hogs.  Hope he produces.  Funny to think that they never gave Gaudette much of a shot in the top 6, but HIghmore gets a look in game 2.

If you can't play a passable 2 way game, your just not going to get the opportunity.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Exactly what we needed with Beagle out, Highmore looks like a solid 4th line player who is relatively safe. We've got so many 4th line forwards (MacEwan, Virtanen, Boyd, Hawrlyuk) who do make me a bit nervous when they're on the ice and they often get feasted on, but hopefully Highmore is a bit safer than those guys defensively.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like Highmore.... he keeps things simple party coz he's a bit of a limited 4th liner... but then he tries hard on every shift!!! I would keep him (contracted for next season anyway) over Vesey..... Vesey is like a soft version of Virtanen.... got the skills but not willing to give 100% night in, night out.... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I thought Highmore had a solid game last night. Like his speed. 

i agree. i've penciled him on rw on 4th line with graovac and motte for next year. with his speed, he can fill in up the line up if need be. if gadjoviich and lind can grabs spots next season, JB will have to thin out the bottom six crowded picture.

• Cheers 2

Highmore has been the best bottom 6 pickup since Tyler Motte.  

I hope that we are able to put a decent Center between those two next year. 

21 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

To save us $ and cap space, I'm pretty sure JB will let Hawryluk, Highmore and Graovac take over our 4th line and dump Boyd, Vesey, Roussel and Beagle... 

Memo to Graovac, if you want to stick in the NHl that open ice hit you laid on an unsuspecting Jet needs to be repeated ad nausea it was a classic step up and level your opponent type hit

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/12/2021 at 12:14 AM, VancouverHabitant said:

Highmore has been the best bottom 6 pickup since Tyler Motte.  

I hope that we are able to put a decent Center between those two next year. 

ya we got him!! That's Graovac.... he just needs to use his size more!!! 

On 5/12/2021 at 12:11 PM, Fred65 said:

Memo to Graovac, if you want to stick in the NHl that open ice hit you laid on an unsuspecting Jet needs to be repeated ad nausea it was a classic step up and level your opponent type hit

Yes yes but he's just not that type of player.  People see 6'5 and assume completely the wrong traits about Graovac.  He doesn't fight/throw big hits.  

Anyways, let me know how Highmore plays today vs. Calgary, I have to miss my first Canucks game since the second week of the season. :( 

On 5/10/2021 at 3:10 PM, RakuRaku said:

I like Highmore.... he keeps things simple party coz he's a bit of a limited 4th liner... but then he tries hard on every shift!!! I would keep him (contracted for next season anyway) over Vesey..... Vesey is like a soft version of Virtanen.... got the skills but not willing to give 100% night in, night out.... 

I think Vesey is "ok". As you said, he tends to float around too much for my liking and doesn't play a particularly gritty game by my eye.

Highmore may never score much, but I like his energy and speed. I too could see him working out well along with Motte as the wings on the 4th. Lind doesn't exactly have the same kind of speed as either, but I expect him to make an impression at camp and he *could* be a decent fit there.