The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Madison Bowey | D

-AJ-

Looks like Bowey had a minor breakout year last year with increased minutes playing on a brutal Detroit team. His last three years of AHL hockey total to 12 games, 2 goals, and 7 assists for 9 points. Looks like his usage is both defensive and offensive, so maybe more of a two-way defenseman? I'm guessing he's probably a #7 guy, maybe #6, but there's probably potential for a #4/5 akin to Stecher level.

Also, like Highmore, Bowey is signed through to next year unlike Benn, who I think he's basically replacing.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Thought they might sign him as a depth D last offseason.  Not terrible to move back one round to pick him up and he helps with the expansion draft too.  I wouldn't have been opposed to exposing (and losing) Myers but he would have had to be replaced which is hard to do at an affordable rate.

As far as play goes, I wonder how much play time he'll receive down the stretch.  Given the way COVID has ravaged the team, my guess is he'll get some playing time but what about guys like Rafferty, Brisebois and Chatfield?  They're all RFAs next year and if there's a continued $ crunch I wonder if some of them may not be qualified?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

I always wondered if he'd turn into a Bieksa type defenceman, and maybe he will end up as a light version. Not a bad gamble to get a little younger and with term.

If you go all the way back to his draft and draft +1 i was saying he was essentially a bieksa without the fighting.  Loved Bowey in jr in Kelowna

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I am for this acquisition, as I was on the "trade for Bowey" train back in the day.

I was hopeful that we could sign him in the off-season. Despite possibly having mutual interest, he could has easily seen that he could not pass the others ahead of him in the depth charts.

Now that we have acquired him and his flexible, cost-controlled cap hit, I can see him finding/regaining his AHL-NHL tweening abilities from his Hershey Bears and early Capital years, and being a 5th defenceman for us (if he does not get claimed by Seattle in the ED). 

He spent parts of his years entering into the league between the Bears and Capitals rosters where he would have played and/or scrimmaged with the likes of Holtby, Beagle, Schmidt, and Boyd, so there may be familiarity in his style of play beyond the analytics and eye-test. #PerfectTimeToThrowInAVancouverCapitalsReferenceHere ::D

Ultimately, in combination with the Gaudette trade, we did not fair too poorly:

CHI: Gaudette , 2021 4th Rounder 
VAN: Bowey, 2021 5th Rounder, Highmore 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Cheap, already waived, under contract for next year expansion fodder.

If he becomes ANYTHING more than a AHL-#7/8 D, it's a massive bowl of gravy.

^ this. 

If he had shown anything more than this he wouldn't be expansion fodder. So we'll see, I don't expect anything out of him but if it happens, cool. 

• Cheers 3

I'm excited to see how he does here.  Big, tough, cheap RHD with pretty good offensive number on the upside, very questionable D on the downside.  Maybe he puts it together here, if he does, this is massive.  If not, he was basically free and gives us some flexibility for the Expansion draft.  We are going to have a ton of games down the stretch, so to have an extra able bodied D is positive.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'm excited to see how he does here.  Big, tough, cheap RHD with pretty good offensive number on the upside, very questionable D on the downside.  Maybe he puts it together here, if he does, this is massive.  If not, he was basically free and gives us some flexibility for the Expansion draft.  We are going to have a ton of games down the stretch, so to have an extra able bodied D is positive.

You better get some pixie dust ready for this guy. He was jettisoned by Washington, Detroit, Detroit!!! they're worse than Vcr! and Chicago. If he does show his abilities are better than either Rafferty or Chatfield it'll be a miracle   IMHO.

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You better get some pixie dust ready for this guy. He was jettisoned by Washington, Detroit, Detroit!!! they're worse than Vcr! and Chicago. If he does show his abilities are better than either Rafferty or Chatfield it'll be a miracle   IMHO.

I'm amazed at some the negativity here disguised in "reality." The guy is 25 years old and has the frame of an NHL Dman. Just because he didn't win the Norris already doesn't mean he has no chance of ever figuring it out. What BCNate said is how we should all feel, excited to see if he can figure out his game here, and if not he still serves a purpose as ED fodder. What's not to like about the Canucks acquiring him? No need for pixie dust, just wait and see. 

30 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

25 YO Big, tough RHD who hits, blocks shots, can fight and was on a 30 point pace last year for Detroit.  We need all of those things, and we got him for basically free.  There is no downside here at all.  He was -16 on a historically bad Detroit team last year, otherwise, his stats are pretty decent, and he has excelled at both the WJC, WHL, AHL levels.

I agree though, he likely doesn't amount to to much than 7/8 D or AHL depth, even if that's the case, he fills our ED requirement.    This is a really nice no risk deal for us.