The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No, EP is not going to consider an offer sheet

Rate this topic

LeafsFanDan

I'm not going to bother clicking the link, but does it have a quote in there from Pettersson where he says he won't?

I mean, it's unlikely that anyone would offer sheet a player anyway:

1. They rarely happen to begin with.
  2. Pettersson does enjoy it here from what we've heard.
  3. It's a flat cap with Covid.

But some opinion piece from a blogger isn't going to be the definitive answer,

• Cheers 2

I doubt you know EP or QH more than any of us do.

From afar, both of them definitely seem like confident (perhaps arrogant to other fanbases) young men who know their worth to the team, so I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. It seems more like an accurate assessment of the Sedins rather than our new wave of talent.

Edited by Grape

1 hour ago, LeafsFanDan said:

I wanted to bring up today's article from  Canucks Way.

https://thecanuckway.com/2021/04/12/are-the-canucks-in-danger-of-a-pettersson-or-hughes-offer-sheet/

First of all, EP is a humble kid who is just happy to be in the NHL. He doesn't care not does he put too much weight into how much money he will make. He isn't the type of a person to sit out games for cash  basically he will accept the bare minimum to keep playing. To say anything more shows complete lack of insight into EP attitude and character.

Same with Hugh's, kids a 5'10 dude he never dreamed of making millions let alone 7 mill a year. They have no clue what they are worth and they are humble, these kids just wanna play. They will take what the team gives them and move on.

These kids are chasing money they just love the game and the fun, that's my honest opinion. It's complete click  bait and just lazy writing to suggest EP is going to entertain  offers.

Hughes is not eligible for an offer sheet.

Still left on his plate are extensions for RFAs Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson, who are both up this summer. In Hughes' case, he is a 10.2c RFA, meaning he has not played enough NHL seasons to be eligible to receive an offer sheet, per Cap Friendly.Mar. 31, 2021

• Cheers 1

I think the offer would have to be substantial for Pettersson to sign. The team in question would have to have the cap room and the draft picks and an owner willing to spend that money in a cash strapped time for NHL teams. I can't see that happening and he will probably sign a contract beforehand anyway.

• Upvote 1

You never know with young players nowadays. It's really all about the money to a lot of them.

Not to say QH or EP are materialistic players that would put their wages over a team but players want to know that the team values them. 

This is shown through the contract and term offered.

Who knows what will happen but in terms of loyalty they really don't make them like the Sedins anymore.

5 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

https://thecanuckway.com/2021/04/12/are-the-canucks-in-danger-of-a-pettersson-or-hughes-offer-sheet/

First of all, EP is a humble kid who is just happy to be in the NHL. He doesn't care not does he put too much weight into how much money he will make. He isn't the type of a person to sit out games for cash  basically he will accept the bare minimum to keep playing. To say anything more shows complete lack of insight into EP attitude and character.

Same with Hugh's, kids a 5'10 dude he never dreamed of making millions let alone 7 mill a year. They have no clue what they are worth and they are humble, these kids just wanna play. They will take what the team gives them and move on.

These kids are chasing money they just love the game and the fun, that's my honest opinion. It's complete click  bait and just lazy writing to suggest EP is going to entertain  offers.

Can you ask him if he will accept the league minimum if he is just happy to be in the NHL?

ditto for Hughes.

• Upvote 1

ya i dont think petey would sign a offer sheet  but he will want to get paid  if we  give him bridge its barzal money 3 yrs @ 7 mill per   if benning figures a way to shed cap id rather it 8 yrs 10 mill. Hughes cant even be offer sheeted yet   he will be paid well maybe 3 yr 7 mill contract  wait to see what benning has planned. podkolzin is gonna be rookie of yr next yr this guys a stud who drives play 

6 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Yes, I am humble and so happy to be in the NHL.

And yes I love Vancouver so much, I do plan to live here forever.

But you know I do need an upgrade on my Audi, and I would like to actually buy my own condo in Yaletown instead of renting, a real nice place with a view so I can pick up more girls.

So to be honest I really do want a very big contract for next year which is why I switched agents.  So you really don't know me that well after all...  :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

ya i dont think petey would sign a offer sheet  but he will want to get paid  if we  give him bridge its barzal money 3 yrs @ 7 mill per   if benning figures a way to shed cap id rather it 8 yrs 10 mill. Hughes cant even be offer sheeted yet   he will be paid well maybe 3 yr 7 mill contract  wait to see what benning has planned. podkolzin is gonna be rookie of yr next yr this guys a stud who drives play 

Pod is  3rd line player in the KHL and gets max 12 mins a game. He isn't close to being a rookie of the year candidate, have you not being paying attention? Dude is the next Chubarov and we all know how he turned out.

Pod is a solid 3rd line winger good for 35-40 points i am guessing.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I am humble and so happy to be in the NHL.

And yes I love Vancouver so much, I do plan to live here forever.

But you know I do need an upgrade on my Audi, and I would like to actually buy my own condo in Yaletown instead of renting, a real nice place with a view so I can pick up more girls.

So to be honest I really do want a very big contract for next year which is why I switched agents.  So you really don't know me that well after all...  :)

People don't understand why he switched agents, it has nothing to do with money. He has a disagreement with his agent on a different issue and they decided to split.

No one comes to NHL looking for money, EP is a kid at heart I don't understand why so many ppl think money is important to these guys. The team gives them contracts they sign them they inside cant believe someone is tabling millions of dollars to them to play a game they would play for a few hundred Gs anyways. 

3 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

People don't understand why he switched agents, it has nothing to do with money. He has a disagreement with his agent on a different issue and they decided to split.

No one comes to NHL looking for money, EP is a kid at heart I don't understand why so many ppl think money is important to these guys. The team gives them contracts they sign them they inside cant believe someone is tabling millions of dollars to them to play a game they would play for a few hundred Gs anyways. 

Give it a rest. If what you were saying was true we wouldn’t have sat through 1 strike and 3 lockouts. The players want to get paid.  Plain and simple.  

I don’t think an offer sheet is a big threat. But not because of some deep seated nobility inherent in the player, but because the team and his agent will get something done before it gets to that point.  

7 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Pod is  3rd line player in the KHL and gets max 12 mins a game. He isn't close to being a rookie of the year candidate, have you not being paying attention? Dude is the next Chubarov and we all know how he turned out.

Pod is a solid 3rd line winger good for 35-40 points i am guessing.

Last time I looked Sunday he was 4th in KHL playoff scoring GP 15 - G 6 -   11 points ... 13:45 min --- Only 19 yrs old, 6'2 , 210 lbs

Top 6 forward....Next year GP 72 -- 18- 20 G --  36 --42 points -- Kid plays 200 foot game now, great future...

Podkolzin, will be beside-   Miller - Horvat -- Podkolzin

• Cheers 2