The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No, EP is not going to consider an offer sheet

Rate this topic

LeafsFanDan

On 7/28/2021 at 3:24 AM, aznmonk said:

They won't its a business.. they are beta fishes in a fish tank... imagine if pettersson plays with beagel or Roussel do you think he will rack up all those points and or goals?  If he does then he would be worth over 15 million per year...  look at ovi he established himself to make 10m a year.  I think agents are way over evaluating players.  By the time petey or Hughes are in there 40s they should be making 20 million a year? Nhl is a joke, agents are a joke.  Fire all agents keep the money instead of paying them a percentage...

Dunno about u but ep racked up all those points with goldobin and erikkson literally the entire first year.. so I guess he's worth 20 mil?

11 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Petey is going to take whatever the best offer he receives is, and we shouldn't expect him to do anything less.

If another company sent you an offer for the same job with a big raise, wouldn't you take it?

If Significant $ most might

But when you are talking 7 million/year to 7.5/yr, wouldn't most go where they would be happy and enjoy? (Hopefully, he really does enjoy it here)

Would be nice to hear EP say like others have, that he is not interested in signing an offer sheet

(Obviously a GM does not insult a player upon hearing that, and making the player is interested in signing one)

I think those other players had trust and understanding in a deal with good dialogue

• Like 2

On 4/12/2021 at 4:59 PM, LeafsFanDan said:

I wanted to bring up today's article from  Canucks Way.

https://thecanuckway.com/2021/04/12/are-the-canucks-in-danger-of-a-pettersson-or-hughes-offer-sheet/

First of all, EP is a humble kid who is just happy to be in the NHL. He doesn't care not does he put too much weight into how much money he will make. He isn't the type of a person to sit out games for cash  basically he will accept the bare minimum to keep playing. To say anything more shows complete lack of insight into EP attitude and character.

Same with Hugh's, kids a 5'10 dude he never dreamed of making millions let alone 7 mill a year. They have no clue what they are worth and they are humble, these kids just wanna play. They will take what the team gives them and move on.

These kids are chasing money they just love the game and the fun, that's my honest opinion. It's complete click  bait and just lazy writing to suggest EP is going to entertain  offers.

Good chance, EP & QH priorities are mostly, focus on being the best & helping the team win; BUT THERE IS A REASON WHY THEY HIRE REPRESENTATIVES TO LOOK AFTER THERE BEST INTEREST. It is (mostly) the  savy agent, that JB has to negotiate against and it is all about securing a deal for the most $.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

36 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If Significant $ most might

But when you are talking 7 million/year to 7.5/yr, wouldn't most go where they would be happy and enjoy? (Hopefully, he really does enjoy it here)

Would be nice to hear EP say like others have, that he is not interested in signing an offer sheet

(Obviously a GM does not insult a player upon hearing that, and making the player is interested in signing one)

I think those other players had trust and understanding in a deal with good dialogue

Fair enough, and yeah I wouldn't change cities over a 7 or 8% raise. 20%? now we're talking. I believe (assume, hope, etc) that management and Pettersson's agent are making progress. From everything I've heard from Imac or Dhaliwal there isn't a big road block or anything concerning; they're chipping their way towards an agreement. But I think it's naïve to believe that if another GM offered him 10.27m x 5 years he wouldn't sign.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Dunno about u but ep racked up all those points with goldobin and erikkson literally the entire first year.. so I guess he's worth 20 mil?

If he can help potz be Calder winner heck yeah the alian can be the highest paid player!!! I'll even register for a go fund me for the Canucks.. 

If EP gets offered a crazy offer sheet why should anyone be upset at him for signing it? 

The Canucks could have done everything they could to sign him before opening up the possibility of an offer sheet after all. 

Not sure why there is this myth around signing offer sheets that paints players as not loyal or douchebags if they do.

If this were true, then every UFA who changes teams is a douchebag. Because in essence it is the same process for an RFA but with compensation attached.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aznmonk said:

If he can help potz be Calder winner heck yeah the alian can be the highest paid player!!! I'll even register for a go fund me for the Canucks.. 

lol nah with the way Green likes to deploy his rookies.. chances are we'll never see podz playing with EP... i mean Hogs barely even played with EP if he even at all coz i don't recall seeing him with EP other than practice line? so chances are Podz will be glued to the bottom 6 and the first mistake he makes benched for the rest of the night

• Wat 1

26 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol nah with the way Green likes to deploy his rookies.. chances are we'll never see podz playing with EP... i mean Hogs barely even played with EP if he even at all coz i don't recall seeing him with EP other than practice line? so chances are Podz will be glued to the bottom 6 and the first mistake he makes benched for the rest of the night

Well for a player used to get 4-8min a night, that shouldn't be a problem....:P

On a serious note, if he bring the same tenacity every night as Hogz does, and by the look of it he definitely does that, he'll soon be one of Greens favorites. But its part of a learning experience, so if his ice time get reduced in the beginning, I won't be concerned... 

Let the boy settle....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Petey is going to take whatever the best offer he receives is, and we shouldn't expect him to do anything less.

If another company sent you an offer for the same job with a big raise, wouldn't you take it?

Not necessarily.... I the big raise means you live in a toilet, amongst a bunch of a-holes, eating dogs food, you may reconsider?

My point is there is often other considerations to be had and not only the dollar sign. 
Of course if your present employer doesn't give you anything, its a gimme, but not all players go ballistic for dollars. 

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Not necessarily.... I the big raise means you live in a toilet, amongst a bunch of a-holes, eating dogs food, you may reconsider?

My point is there is often other considerations to be had and not only the dollar sign. 
Of course if your present employer doesn't give you anything, its a gimme, but not all players go ballistic for dollars. 

What if the offer comes from a team that can content for the Cup, that is the dream isn’t it? I’m sure pretty much any team that could offer enough to make him jump ship would be a good organization to work for as well.

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

What if the offer comes from a team that can content for the Cup, that is the dream isn’t it? I’m sure pretty much any team that could offer enough to make him jump ship would be a good organization to work for as well.

Absolutely agree, in that case there is a likelyhood for him to jump ship, but I was responding to the statement that you would go to the most dollars, and that is not necessarily true...

Lots of other issues to look after.
Is the work environment top notch, where you are? 

Do you prefere staying amongst the work colleagues, with whom you have a strong bond,

Have you got a blonde, who is quite opposed to leave,

Is your favorite restaurant extremely important to you, 

Is there a couple of jerks you detest working for you new employer....

Are you more likely to win a cup, where you are or a the next employer...

etc etc etc

Point being, that its not just the dollars that matters in these situations, although they are a major reason. 

7 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Maybe EP told Benning he prefers to stay and why JB has been signing the other contracts 1st ?

Is Aho despised for having signed an offer sheet?

Maybe his team wasn't talking seriously enough?

Not sure what the hold up is?

Maybe his agent wants to get an offer sheet and show him before signing?

Hopefully they are not quibbling over pennies, he is young  and will make big dollars in other contracts and UFA years as well

The dollar store and Ikea contracts are signed, without EP signed, they mean very little

I am sure he will be signed

Sign something just under what Barzal did and be done with it?

Edited by ba;;isticsports

On 4/13/2021 at 12:59 AM, LeafsFanDan said:

https://thecanuckway.com/2021/04/12/are-the-canucks-in-danger-of-a-pettersson-or-hughes-offer-sheet/

First of all, EP is a humble kid who is just happy to be in the NHL. He doesn't care not does he put too much weight into how much money he will make. He isn't the type of a person to sit out games for cash  basically he will accept the bare minimum to keep playing. To say anything more shows complete lack of insight into EP attitude and character.

Same with Hugh's, kids a 5'10 dude he never dreamed of making millions let alone 7 mill a year. They have no clue what they are worth and they are humble, these kids just wanna play. They will take what the team gives them and move on.

These kids are chasing money they just love the game and the fun, that's my honest opinion. It's complete click  bait and just lazy writing to suggest EP is going to entertain  offers.

You're right - they both seem like pretty humble young men. You're wrong and foolish if you think they don't know what their value is to our team. They also know that their careers could be over in an instant from one bad check or dirty play or even fluke crash into the boards. They deserve to be paid and they will be paid. 

On 4/12/2021 at 4:59 PM, LeafsFanDan said:

Not sure how anyone can listen to Hughes speak and believe he is humble. He is absolutely arrogant, same as his 2 brothers are (and thats not necessarily a bad thing) and well aware of what he believes he should be worth. 

EP seems more humble but no chance he is not aware of what he is worth and will get paid.

If either of these guys would take whatever the team offers them just to play hockey their deals would long since be signed. 

There is nothing wrong with either of these players expecting to be paid fair market value for what they bring. On the surface, it seems like maybe Hughes and his agent overestimate his worth a bit. He is not good enough defensively yet to command Makar or Heiskanen long term money. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure how anyone can listen to Hughes speak and believe he is humble. He is absolutely arrogant, same as his 2 brothers are (and thats not necessarily a bad thing) and well aware of what he believes he should be worth. 

EP seems more humble but no chance he is not aware of what he is worth and will get paid.

If either of these guys would take whatever the team offers them just to play hockey their deals would long since be signed. 

There is nothing wrong with either of these players expecting to be paid fair market value for what they bring. On the surface, it seems like maybe Hughes and his agent overestimate his worth a bit. He is not good enough defensively yet to command Makar or Heiskanen long term money. 

For sure.  The Hughes situation may be tougher to resolve just because of all those big contracts for D around the league.  He may project to reach that level but definitely isn't there defensively yet.  And management is going to have to tell him so.  It all adds up to a bridge deal but even then, keeping it at 7 or under is going to be hard. 

Really like to see these contracts get done asap But I would rather see them get done where both EP , Hughes as well as the JB are all satisfied . There could be so many things holding the signings up and yet still be close . Outside of the obvious How long each contract is for along with money amounts for the different lengths . You have things like Signing and performance bonuses . How are the contracts set up in the last year leading to their next contracts . No trade clause's [ seems like a no brainer but I am sure JB would want something in return ] . there must be so many other possible sticking points as well .

They both seem like great people that I for one want on the team I cheer for as long as possible . I am amazed at how many negative comments I have read on here . They are both star players , they have an agent who will do his best weather that is money and term or something else and they deserve it . 

All the talk about EP getting an offer sheet . It would be his agents job to wait for one if he saw it as an advantage but could be a 2 sided blade . What if a small offer sheet was made not the 9 or 10 mill fans seem to fear . Could that not weaken his bargaining chips ? offer sheets in todays NHL i think it won't happen at least I hope not . 

30 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

Really like to see these contracts get done asap But I would rather see them get done where both EP , Hughes as well as the JB are all satisfied . There could be so many things holding the signings up and yet still be close . Outside of the obvious How long each contract is for along with money amounts for the different lengths . You have things like Signing and performance bonuses . How are the contracts set up in the last year leading to their next contracts . No trade clause's [ seems like a no brainer but I am sure JB would want something in return ] . there must be so many other possible sticking points as well .

They both seem like great people that I for one want on the team I cheer for as long as possible . I am amazed at how many negative comments I have read on here . They are both star players , they have an agent who will do his best weather that is money and term or something else and they deserve it . 

All the talk about EP getting an offer sheet . It would be his agents job to wait for one if he saw it as an advantage but could be a 2 sided blade . What if a small offer sheet was made not the 9 or 10 mill fans seem to fear . Could that not weaken his bargaining chips ? offer sheets in todays NHL i think it won't happen at least I hope not . 

Players have to sign offer sheets. So if a team sent him a low one he would just tell them to f off lol.