The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

They're trying to extend 84th avenue through Bear Creek Park again

Kurgom

Hey, just wanted everyone to know this. I first found out by walking in the park and seeing chalk markings with "road" and little construction flags so they know where to cut down all the trees. You can go see it plastered on the path of the park if you walk to its center from the west entrance. Seems like because of all the rest of the world going crazy, the council has tried to rush this through because it was completely denied by the public in 2007 when they tried it then. Bear Creek Park has only gotten more popular, family friendly and loved since. If you don't want to see it cut in half for a band-aid fix for traffic while the council ignores reality, refusing to invest in proper public transit for a large growing city, tell the idiots you're going to have them lose their jobs if they do it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Are you being facetious?

Currently, 84th barely touches the park. But if it’s extended from King George to 140th, it would slice right through the heart of the southern half of the park.

1269E166-9FA9-4FBA-A3AB-7CE23A64B91A.jpeg.ae92da0c85cb8574ff3cec5b02d41bdd.jpeg

You mean like how the BC hydro infrastructure already does, that open diagonal path going through the middle is power lines and giant BC hydro towers. You would just have to cross the street to get to the south end of the park. Surrey is the second biggest population in BC and rapidly growing, traffic becoming real issue. Side note Bear Creek Park has always be a hot spot for assualt/sexual assualt over the years as there are many unlit areas of the park.    

A more effective place to

Send a message saying something  would be better directed towards

brenda.locke@surrey.ca;mayor@surrey.ca <mayor@surrey.ca>;Pettigrew, Steven <Steven.Pettigrew@surrey.ca>;mandeep.nagra@surrey.ca; doug.elford@surrey.ca;

linda.annis@surrey.ca; laurie.guerra@surrey.ca; jack.hundial@surrey.ca;allison.patton@surrey.ca;

Like I say about voting, if your not voting and at least "trying" to get who you want, why complain if the other person gets elected, if you never even did a small part?

• Vintage 1

Is the south part of the  actually  park or is it just  privately owned land with trees on it?

And yes sending e mail to the city of Surrey would be a good start, may find out those ribbons and markings were somebody's April fools prank.

84th barely touches park land. People need to stop whining. 88th is a total mess. I lived around this area for years and because there are no roads between 88th and 72nd that go all the way through it is a traffic nightmare.

84th is the only fully developed street that goes all the way from 120th (scott rd) to fraser hwy except for this small chunk.

It is inevitable.  Should have been done a long time ago.

1 hour ago, DonaldBrashear said:

84th barely touches park land. People need to stop whining. 88th is a total mess. I lived around this area for years and because there are no roads between 88th and 72nd that go all the way through it is a traffic nightmare.

84th is the only fully developed street that goes all the way from 120th (scott rd) to fraser hwy except for this small chunk.

It is inevitable.  Should have been done a long time ago.

It doesn't exist between 128th and 124th either. 

It cuts through the park. 

It's dumb. 

1 hour ago, inane said:

It doesn't exist between 128th and 124th either. 

It cuts through the park. 

It's dumb. 

Yeah I noticed that on the map. I assume that will also be turned into road. There's a massive substation and BC hydro office there and train tracks. I am glad I don't live in Surrey anymore, looking back now I realize why traffic was always so bad. Poorly designed road system. 72nd was an awful design too.

5 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Yeah I noticed that on the map. I assume that will also be turned into road. There's a massive substation and BC hydro office there and train tracks. I am glad I don't live in Surrey anymore, looking back now I realize why traffic was always so bad. Poorly designed road system. 72nd was an awful design too.

Yeah add in the fact that 1/2 the people in Surrey don't know how to drive, and you have a fun commute.