The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Assessing the pros and cons of using Rathbone or a 1st as a sweetener to move Eriksson in the off season

18 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Highmore probably slots in too for 750K. Definitely no need to bleed assets for cap space. 

We will have a ton of bottom 6 options for cheap next year, just a matter of finding the right mix.  I'm real curious to see what we have in Highmore, i know his coach liked his game last year.

• Like 1

its one yr left  why would u give up a lotto pick or a stud d man like rathbone  in all reality maybe give up a 3rd rounder in 2022.  Id rather just send him to utica let him ride the buses  it clears 1 mill in cap space no picks lost   they can trade him at next yr trade deadline as well  where his cap hit will be like 750k much cheaper to unload that  maybe a 4th or 5th. Other possibility is he retires or seattle takes him for pk duty. No way in hell im trading rathbone or a top5 pick for eriksson. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

its one yr left  why would u give up a lotto pick or a stud d man like rathbone  in all reality maybe give up a 3rd rounder in 2022.  Id rather just send him to utica let him ride the buses  it clears 1 mill in cap space no picks lost   they can trade him at next yr trade deadline as well  where his cap hit will be like 750k much cheaper to unload that  maybe a 4th or 5th. Other possibility is he retires or seattle takes him for pk duty. No way in hell im trading rathbone or a top5 pick for eriksson. 

we can get a real elite  right handed dman if we draft top 5  clarke or powers please.  Canucks might not get a win in next 3 games 2 leafs and one oiler matchup   they way things being going  we could fall to 30th overall by april 20th   sabres even playing better they might even catch us. its doubtful but you never know. Devils can pass us tonight with a  win 

27 minutes ago, BCNate said:

We will have a ton of bottom 6 options for cheap next year, just a matter of finding the right mix.  I'm real curious to see what we have in Highmore, i know his coach liked his game last year.

Oh I agree 100% I was just reiterating to the chicken littles on CDC it’s not so bad.

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

[proposal] Assessing the pros and cons of using Rathbone or a 1st as a sweetener to move Eriksson in the off season

Just for the record, I doubt that Benning will explore this option as he seems pretty committed to keeping his farm and prospect pool in tact (which is why I suspect he didn’t go this route this past summer and commit to Toffoli).  On the flip side, clearing Eriksson’s salary would allow the Canucks to not only comfortably re-sign Petey and Hughes, but would also give us the chance of going after another quality UFA.   

So, instead of waiting until the 2022-2023 season to be competitive, the Canucks could possibly open up their window a year earlier.   

While any five year old can tell you the dangers of moving 1st and/or prospects as sweeteners to get rid of bad contracts, the flip side of this is that there is also a danger in having your core miss the playoffs one too many times while keeping motivation levels high.  Horvat, Pettersson, and Hughes aren’t Boy Scouts, and the Canucks invested a lot of money in bringing in “now” players such as Miller, Myers, and Schmidt.   

So - is there a benefit in “biting the bullet” and using a significant sweetener to move Eriksson a year earlier? (If by doing so would allow us to re-sign Petey and Hughes while also bringing in a high quality UFA to help us make a push?)

the question then becomes would you trade lind or a 1st to rent 5 million in cap space, I wouldnt do it for a ufa but might do it if it means we can get a overperforming player in another trade. we ain't wining the cup next year

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

We are in OK shape for cap next year in my mind.  We have 17 mil to sign 10 players, but also have up to 6.5 in LTIR $ (assuming the reports on Beagle are correct).  We also will lose some money in the expansion draft, I'm assuming Virtanen's 2.5.  That's 19.5, plus 6.5 LTIR for 11 guys now that Virtanen is gone.

-Lind, Podkolzin, Rathbone, Juolevi make the team taking up ~4.

-Hamonic and Eder are re signed for ~5

-I assume we bring back 2 of Boyd, Hawryluk, Vessey a ~2 mil total.

Miller-EP-Brick

Pearson-BO-Hoglander

Pods-XXX-XXX

Lind-XXX-Motte

Hawlyruk, Boyd, 

Schmidt-Edler

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Rathbone-Bowie

Demko

Holtby

8 Million to add 3 forwards and possibly upgrade your D is plenty, especially when you still have 6.5 in LTIR

Agreed with your premise that we'll have room e.g. ED, injuries, but don't forget Hughes and Pete also need to be re-signed.
Think I'd be okay if we don't bring back Edler to make room for Quinn and Pete if he still wants big bucks (esp. if Juolevi is ready), but other than that we're fine.
No need to dump a premium asset for 1 year.

Edited by Phil_314

Many think Rathbone is going to be a very effective player, and we can't rely on Hughes to be the only one on the back end who can score regularly so I think he'd likely be a great addition to our team. When we have other options to deal with Loui, I'd sooner take them. 

It also shouldn't be ignored that it is *possible* that by us having less cap space it puts pressure on Petey and Hughes to sign team-friendly contracts. I'm not saying they would necessarily care or that such matters factor into business negotiations, but maybe?

Let him rot in Utica, which is where he should be now.  Stop it with the taxi squad and send that lazy piece of garbage to Utica's press box until he decides to stop disgracing the franchise, the sport, his family, and himself and retire.  The more of a living hell you make his life, the quicker he does the right thing and retires.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I am only into trading loui with a significant sweetener if that money is going directly towards an impact move

to Detroit: Eriksson, 2022 1st round pick

to Van: 7th round pick 2023

canucks sign RNH 6m/6yrs

then who wouldnt trade eriksson and a 1st for RNH and a 7th? 

miller-pettersson-boeser

RNH-horvat-hoglander

pearson-xxxxx-pods

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, billabong said:

I am only into trading loui with a significant sweetener if that money is going directly towards an impact move

canucks sign RNH 6m/6yrs

miller-pettersson-boeser

RNH-horvat-hoglander

pearson-xxxxx-pods

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-RNH-Podkolzin

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Motte-Highmore-MacEwen (or whoever)

The opportunity cost being that we sacrifice our 1st in order to move Eriksson.  

I like your idea a lot and your post is exactly why I created this thread.  Yes - ditching someone like Rathbone or a 1st to move Eriksson early would be suck, but that forward group from above would definitely make us competitive.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Let him rot in Utica, which is where he should be now.  Stop it with the taxi squad and send that lazy piece of garbage to Utica's press box until he decides to stop disgracing the franchise, the sport, his family, and himself and retire.  The more of a living hell you make his life, the quicker he does the right thing and retires.

You had me at Utica!

Not sure the Aquillinis have the stomach for a $6 million buy-out given the org's losses this past year.

Louie's got a year left on his contract after this season. According to Benning, the team will not be running into any cap issues this coming off-season (a statement I hope the fans hold him accountable for), so I think the logical way forward is to just bite the bullet and let his contract run out. 

1 hour ago, billabong said:

canucks sign RNH 6m/6yrs

miller-pettersson-boeser

RNH-horvat-hoglander

pearson-xxxxx-pods

I don't mind the premise, but I am cheap.so, I would like to revise it a little...........

Eriksson to Detroit for DiPietro, Virtanen and 2022 2nd

IMO, it serves multiple issues, including reducing Virtanen's cap hit

And for all those DiPietro lovers out there .................sorry, I just don't think he will pan out, or maybe more to the point, he is replaceable.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1