The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Benning the guy to take us into the next phase of our teams development? (Discussion/Poll)

Is Benning the guy to take us into the next phase of our team's development?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, Benning has stated that we will be entering the next phase of team's development in 2 years, and we should be pushing for a playoff spot. Now, I am not entirely sure, but I thought he had previously said that about next year, a couple of years back............I could be wrong, but I remember something to that effect.

Further more, IMO, I think there will be several very important decisions to make over this and next summer, one being Horvat's contract, and the second being Schmidt's age, ignoring Myers age and contract completely. The reason I bring up Schmidt, is that, although a solid Dman, he is 29 now, and will be 30 before the start of next season. Not old, and certainly on a decent contract for what he brings.

Now, what never seem to do under Benning is selling high, and I think when you look at Schmidt, he will be entering his 32nd year, as we enter Benning's pre-ordained playoff picture.

So, for sure, have him around for the draft, but do you want him around when he has to re-sign Pettie and Hughes, or making decisions on Edler and Sutter? What about Tryamkin?

Does he over commit on the other and come up with another lame excuse about not being able to sign him, because he does not have enough to do so?

Look, the sky is not falling, and we are entering an exciting time, with extra cap in the year after next, does his UFA signings distill confidence in you?

I would also add, that I am not entirely happy with his handling of DiPietro and Rathbone being on the Taxi squad as long as they are/were...........to me it is not one big thing, but a series of small things that collectively have stirred up all the negativity. Benning's endorsement of his coaching staff, is all also a concern of mine........like I say it is not all one big thing, but a series of small things..........

Please feel free to slice and dice me, but I think this will be a closer discussion than it appears to be............I sure have not heard Joe, say "In Benning we Trust" for awhile.

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

To be determined. 

Yeah let`s see how our blueline shakes out with the likely retirement of Edler at some point before rendering judgement.  Even a guy like Myers is over 30 years old.

This is where Benning will be deemed to have succeeded or failed.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah let`s see how our blueline shakes out with the likely retirement of Edler at some point before rendering judgement.  Even a guy like Myers is over 30 years old.

This is where Benning will be deemed to have succeeded or failed.

I dunno. I think there's enough evidence pointing to JB being a real good scout.

But that's it.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, Benning has stated that we will be entering the next phase of team's development in 2 years, and we should be pushing for a playoff spot. Now, I am not entirely sure, but I thought he had previously said that about next year, a couple of years back............I could be wrong, but I remember something to that effect.

Further more, IMO, I think there will be several very important decisions to make over this and next summer, one being Horvat's contract, and the second being Schmidt's age, ignoring Myers age and contract completely. The reason I bring up Schmidt, is that, although a solid Dman, he is 29 now, and will be 30 before the start of next season. Not old, and certainly on a decent contract for what he brings.

Now, what never seem to do under Benning is selling high, and I think when you look at Schmidt, he will be entering his 32nd year, as we enter Benning's pre-ordained playoff picture.

So, for sure, have him around for the draft, but do you want him around when he has to re-sign Pettie and Hughes, or making decisions on Edler and Sutter? What about Tryamkin?

Does he over commit on the other and come up with another lame excuse about not being able to sign him, because he does not have enough to do so?

Look, the sky is not falling, and we are entering an exciting time, with extra cap in the year after next, does his UFA signings distill confidence in you?

I would also add, that I am not entirely happy with his handling of DiPietro and Rathbone being on the Taxi squad as long as they are/were...........to me it is not one big thing, but a series of small things that collectively have stirred up all the negativity. Benning's endorsement of his coaching staff, is all also a concern of mine........like I say it is not all one big thing, but a series of small things..........

Please feel free to slice and dice me, but I think this will be a closer discussion than it appears to be............I sure have not heard Joe, say "In Benning we Trust" for awhile.

Would you endorse any GM that didn't endorse his coaching staff publicly? Honestly I don't think Green has lost the room at any point. Last season with a lil luck this team got to the show and did better than anyone expected. He played a role in that. Jim Benning is like yin without a yang you love him for the things he does well but you definitely need another person to do the things he does poorly. JB should never hold a pen again. But that doesn't mean I want him fired.

31 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Dont be fence sitter.

Benning isn't the guy. Just admit it and move on.

A clean break is easiest

I live on these forums on the fence. 

I am pretty neutral minded. 

Right now I would say he’s on a short leash for me. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Would you endorse any GM that didn't endorse his coaching staff publicly? Honestly I don't think Green has lost the room at any point. Last season with a lil luck this team got to the show and did better than anyone expected. He played a role in that. Jim Benning is like yin without a yang you love him for the things he does well but you definitely need another person to do the things he does poorly. JB should never hold a pen again. But that doesn't mean I want him fired.

Fair question

I really have problems with their assistant coaches, and as Green is in charge of them, and Benning is in charge of Green, well, it begs the question

Why are they still here? Sure, mid-season is not the time, but the being is, and if they were happy last year, then I have a problem with that......way too many

too many men calls, and lack of proper time allocation. To the point of ridiculous at times. So we will see, but I am sure not a fan. Green meh? Talks a good talk.

Jim Benning feels like he's gonna be like Dale Tallon of both the Chicago Blackhawks and Florida Panthers. He'll be responsible for getting the Canucks to the edge of being great again but he won't be able to go all the way.

I feel like Benning was going to be fired this offseason but that this recent Covid outbreak probably bought him an extra year because any implosion the Canucks inevitably have will be blamed on that and not the mediocre team Benning has assembled currently.

I'm also not sure who the obvious GM candidates are if Benning was to get fired this offseason. I guess Jim Rutherford could be a guy to hire if you want someone who is super aggressive. The newer intriguing candidates seem to be: Eric Tulsky (Hurricanes AGM), Kevin Weekes (has been linked to several jobs including the Panthers recent opening), Roberto Luongo, Jason Karamanos (former Penguins AGM -- you'd probably hire him as GM and Rutherford as President), Ryan Johnson (Utica Comets GM), Henrik Evertsson (Vaxjo GM and the guy who gave Elias Pettersson his chance in the SHL), Chris Abbott (Rogle GM aka the guy who gave Nils Hoglander his SHL chance), and I guess Laurence Gilman?!?

I'd hope after Benning that the Canucks would go and get someone progressive like Gillis was to take this team over the top but I worry that ownership will meddle to much to allow that to happen. I think Aquaman likes Benning because Benning is such a yes man to him.

Hard to say but I don't see Benning being the guy to take this team over the hill so that's why I think he'll be replaced. I also think that if Benning is fired or his contract is not renewed that he'll easily find a spot as a GM elsewhere. He seems to be well liked around the NHL.

Edited by Quantum

39 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I dunno. I think there's enough evidence pointing to JB being a real good scout.

But that's it.

Amateur scouting certainly seems to have GREATLY improved.  It’s the professional scouting that has been a mixed bag.  Was an issue with Gillis as well (professional scouting).  

• Cheers 2

I'm leaning to say no. 

Things are stale. Not much to look forward to. The team doesn't have the compete level, chemistry, structure. Only thing going is hopeully the young uns continue to imrpove ie. Pettersson/Hughes/Beoser, but this is not even a sure thing. 

All eyes on the offseason. If Benning can repeat similarly to what he did last year, then he has my vote of confidence. Adding Schmidt, signing Hamonic for cheap, letting go of Tanev/Markstrom/Toffoli; etc... I highly praise those moves even though that's not the norm. 

AND, we need a coach change. No matter how much you like Green, change is needed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

But that's it.

Agreed with this.  To add to the conversation though, isn't development the coach's job?  All Benning needs to do is pick the right guys to offer contracts to construct the lineup, work with scouts to decide who to sign/ draft/ trade for and manage cap.  The development of individual players is due to coaching staff, so (just like it would be in Buffalo now) if potential is shown to be squandered then it's the coaching staff's fault and not his.  (PS. in this context, re: "determining which players to retain" I think many people will still point to Gaudette as an example of his failure due to recency of the trade, but for arguing in this topic I'd say that it was actually the right decision as he was becoming a problem in the room).

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

even though you will find me supporting jim's moves on this forum, i voted no.

even though i believe there is value in the type of player he looks to build a championship team, he had flawed ways of bringing it all together.  roussel was always a mystery to me, he wasn't signed to be a 4th liner and sutter and him together is oil and water.

beagle was another mystery to me, we simply did not have the right type of wingers to make-up even 1 shutdown pairing line let alone 2.

i believe that if your going to spend money on the bottom 9, it should be on players that don't look too out of place if they had to play top six minutes.

ideally we would only spend money on top 6 forwards and top 9 centers, we would ideally spend  the same or more for players who could play center as we would wingers.

i would build my team around my centers, players like gaudette and roussel would only make the cut if they could support the center in whatever he excels, if the players i draft and sign don't fit the mold they would be shopped.

Canucks are really well positioned for the future, and it's all thanks to Jim Benning.  I'm not sure if he's the guy to take us to the promised land though.  

I'd like to see Jim Benning have one more draft for us and then I'd be okay with a change.  

The future is bright, and our Canuck fans are the most dramatic fans I've ever seen.  So all is right in the world. 

As THG said, you don't let a GM start signing people (Pearson) if you're going to fire him.  So he guesses that Benning is here for at least one more year.

There are of course some obvious changes coming up very soon and that is the 2nd contracts for both Petey and Hughes.  Bridge deals likely.

I think that Benning is in the process of turning the bottom 6 over.  He needs places for some young players and he needs to shift some players out who he doesn't feel fit his ultimate team.  Gaudette is gone.  Virtanen has been shopped.  He has been trying out Vessey, Hawryluk, Michaelis, Boyd, now Highmore.....all low cost players....the only one who has stuck at this point is Motte, maybe MacEwen.

But more, Sutter is a UFA does he re-sign?  Now that Gaudette is gone this is possible but at half the price of his present contract.  I think we see an Eriksson buy out.  

On D I think we see Hamonic re-signed.  He'll get more money but he'll still be on a friendly contract.  Edler re-signed?  Probably on 1 year contracts and much less money.  Benn is gone which leaves room to bring along Juolevi and Rathbone.

This is all next year so there's no shortage of things happening and decisions to make and it's right now!

Defense is my biggest concern.  He's also going to need to settle the coaching situation before free agency starts and courting starts soon

20 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

As THG said, you don't let a GM start signing people (Pearson) if you're going to fire him.  So he guesses that Benning is here for at least one more year.

There are of course some obvious changes coming up very soon and that is the 2nd contracts for both Petey and Hughes.  Bridge deals likely.

I think that Benning is in the process of turning the bottom 6 over.  He needs places for some young players and he needs to shift some players out who he doesn't feel fit his ultimate team.  Gaudette is gone.  Virtanen has been shopped.  He has been trying out Vessey, Hawryluk, Michaelis, Boyd, now Highmore.....all low cost players....the only one who has stuck at this point is Motte, maybe MacEwen.

But more, Sutter is a UFA does he re-sign?  Now that Gaudette is gone this is possible but at half the price of his present contract.  I think we see an Eriksson buy out.  

On D I think we see Hamonic re-signed.  He'll get more money but he'll still be on a friendly contract.  Edler re-signed?  Probably on 1 year contracts and much less money.  Benn is gone which leaves room to bring along Juolevi and Rathbone.

This is all next year so there's no shortage of things happening and decisions to make and it's right now!

Defense is my biggest concern.  He's also going to need to settle the coaching situation before free agency starts and courting starts soon

Other than Hughes, it is mine as well.  They`re either 30+ years old or rookie and or sophmores.  Talk about age gap.  Not a good thing.