The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 18 | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

14 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

I kinda saw it this way too.  Even looked like Eddie expected him to go out wide because he shifted his body that way to make contact, which makes it look more like he was hanging his leg than he really was (vs pushing with it to make contact out wide).  My mind if could have been just as easily Eddie on the ice after that play.  Ill advised move by Hyman as you said as he didn’t have the time and space and cut into Eddie’s lane rather than around him.  

As for the repeat offender BS you play as many games as Eddie has and plays like these happen

Lol Jinx.   Just basically said the same thing on a thread that's been made regarding this...the end bit about play that many games, and play hard like Edler does, these sort of things are inevitable. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

He is not a repeat offender, as the previous suspensions were way too long ago to count now.

Also if all he did was glide in for 3 seconds , then the knee on knee is on Hyman, as Eddie already was there, and Hyman moved into him.

Unfortunately that is not what happened, Eddie had him lined up and Hyman tried jumping past him, Eddie moved his leg to try and compensate, too bad, because Hyman wasn't getting past him anyway.

Imo no suspension, but a fine is coming.

Should’ve just taken the hit as you said, outcome would’ve been the same play wise and neither player would’ve been at risk knee wise

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

He is not a repeat offender, as the previous suspensions were way too long ago to count now.

Also if all he did was glide in for 3 seconds , then the knee on knee is on Hyman, as Eddie already was there, and Hyman moved into him.

Unfortunately that is not what happened, Eddie had him lined up and Hyman tried jumping past him, Eddie moved his leg to try and compensate, too bad, because Hyman wasn't getting past him anyway.

I don't think the league will see it that way, they'll give him at least a game. More than that is excessive. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

All history is considered when determining a suspension.  Repeat offender is for the amount of salary/fines.  

From the scouting the refs website:

A repeat offender is one who has been suspended for a second offense within 18 months of the previous offense. Repeat offender status only applies to the way fines and salary forfeiture is calculated. All disciplinary history is considered when determining a player's suspension.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

All history is considered when determining a suspension.  Repeat offender is for the amount of salary/fines.  

From the scouting the refs website:

A repeat offender is one who has been suspended for a second offense within 18 months of the previous offense. Repeat offender status only applies to the way fines and salary forfeiture is calculated. All disciplinary history is considered when determining a player's suspension.

So when was Edlers last suspension?   Doesn't seem to qualify as a "repeat offender" really.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Edler suspension aside, the lack of any pushback from the Leaves was pretty pathetic. CDC would be in fire if this were reversed. 

Yep.   I thought about that too.   It might also be because it was simply an accident, it sure looked that way.   I'm glad it didn't turn into a goon fest out there... Simmonds chose not to goon it up.  For me at least, the five minute major was the correct amount of discipline.   Elder might get fined or one game.   I'm sure once they go over it Edler won't be in too much hot water.   If he is this is a corrupt system. 

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   I thought about that too.   It might also be because it was simply an accident, it sure looked that way.   I'm glad it didn't turn into a goon fest out there... Simmonds chose not to goon it up.  For me at least, the five minute major was the correct amount of discipline.   Elder might get fined or one game.   I'm sure once they go over it Edler won't be in too much hot water.   If he is this is a corrupt system. 

Toronto and goon fest don't seem to work with Today's Tea Leaves. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

When the Leafs media starts to crank out the “Edler is a villain” and “oh no Hyman is injured” crap, take a look at what Hyman did the previous game against the Jets. 

What’s worse, a 2 handed stick swing to a players head, or an accidental knee to knee? Oh, the holier than thou crowd....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/hyman-gets-penalty-aggressive-high-stick-pionk/

Spot on hyman the victim my arse

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

the replay looks pretty awkward and it could have hurt Elder just as much, but I keep thinking, where's the pushback? 

anyway Eddie probably needs the rest and I can't see the league not giving at least 1 game.

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Edler suspension aside, the lack of any pushback from the Leaves was pretty pathetic. CDC would be in fire if this were reversed. 

I just spent a few minutes looking at Leafs Twitter and fans are up in arms over the hit and the lack of pushback. I could only find a few that weren’t full of NSFW language. Surprisingly there was a lot of “there won’t be any suspension cause it was against the Leafs,”  feeling oh so hard done by.

FEAE7117-2924-46D9-BF13-21DEF1E80641.jpeg

• Haha 3