The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 18 | SNP

Rate this topic

47 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If another postponement means playing more games in less days, then I'm not sure if that's a good thing. They should really cancel the remaining 19 games.

I know some fans won't agree, but I do. Can't help but feel that running that gauntlet will result in injuries for a team getting over Covid, it's not as if we didn't already have to run the gauntlet to begin the season or anything. 

The worst thing would be having guys get seriously hurt trying to satisfy the league's wanting them to play a certain number of games, it'd impact their offseason training and potentially next season. 

Edited by Coconuts
20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So would this mean we play the Leafs Sunday/Monday at home?

Real merciful of the league...

Don't worry. The league will continue to make us pay until the end of time if we cancel the Leafs HNIC broadcast this weekend.

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I hear you. But looking at the schedule it does make sense. 4/8, and last 4 in a row, vs Ottawa. We could even play those out once the playoffs begin if there was some reason to for lotto placement. 

That's a great point.

Truly, the league should have shortened the "regular" season and had another play in and included the entire league.

Truly they shouldn't have had a season unless it was a series of bubble tournaments

• Hydration 4
1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I know some fans won't agree, but I do. Can't help but feel that running that gauntlet will result in injuries for a team getting over Covid, it's not as if we didn't already have to run the gauntlet to begin the season or anything. 

The worst thing would be having guys get seriously hurt trying to satisfy the league's wanting them to play a certain number of games, it'd impact their offseason training and potentially next season. 

This is exactly it. The covid situation is bad on its own. The schedule is bad on its own. Compounding the two together and I'd say the chances that there are NO long term effects for anyone has to be near zero.
But I guess its important for McDavid and Matthews to score a few more goals against us.

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

So somehow, you've managed to spin this into a JB hate post.   Who knew this was him being a coward and a b!tch again ....  None of us have all the data to make an actual critical thinking decision on this.  Can't we just wait until the puck is actually dropped again?   Players all have an out.   And no way JB or teammates feel any less of them.  The show must go on and all of that.   Good grief.   And didn't you notice Brisbois plus Goalie no-name was added to the taxi squad? 

Doesn’t take much to spin it.

All I did was point out the obvious.

I must have missed his presser that he said he’d keep any player who didn’t feel ready off the ice. The one where he said hes not risking any players health or safety . the one where he stood up and defended what his players were saying and backed them. 

And I did see he added two players who I believe were in Manitoba.

we had 19 cases the last time I check we added two players to the taxi squad if that your definition of being prepared for the fact we will have to play games.

He had to know that  atleast 1/4 of the team would still be to sick or weak to safely play. 
and even some of the others probably shouldn’t play. 

• RoughGame 1

Glad it's been cancelled. Our guys need a few more days of skating before we can even hope to compete. Rest of the year is pretty much a write off

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Freeing up 8 days, the four Ottawa games will be played by the respective captains on NHL21.  Players' goals and assists will count as regular stats 

Is it too late to bring Gaudette back and make him captain for a few weeks? I hear he has some gaming chops.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

I feel like if COVID's taught us anything, it should be "be patient and adaptable".

I don't feel there's room to argue over blame and finger pointing in any of this....it just adds more negativity to an already pretty stressful situation.

We're ALL navigating uncharted waters here, including the league, team and the union.  I'm just glad they resolved this in a way that does give the players a bit of extra recovery and assessment time.

They're trying to do the best they can - everyone involved.    JT did not do that presser without the ok from the team...I'm sure of that.  He said what many were thinking and it needed to be said.  By whoever...that part's irrelevant.  

It's a forced issue at this point...but isn't everything?  What I've taken away over the past year is "don't sweat the small stuff".  Family, health, and then everything else after that.  There are sacrifices to be made on many fronts but I'm so tired of hearing people who just ... want to be heard (Twitter is a nightmare at times).  Everyone wants to weigh in and I get that my comment, here, is part of that.  But I feel like we just need to ride the wave of this thing more than try to prove points.  It's kind of difficult in something that's so new and unknown.

I miss Canucks hockey...but not enough to want to see a bunch of guys completely struggling on the ice.  I've written off this season and whatever unfolds is ok by me.  Just get through this damn year (2) already.

• Hydration 2
  • Sedinery 1
  • Vintage 1
12 minutes ago, combover said:

Doesn’t take much to spin it.

All I did was point out the obvious.

I must have missed his presser that he said he’d keep any player who didn’t feel ready off the ice. The one where he said hes not risking any players health or safety . the one where he stood up and defended what his players were saying and backed them. 

And I did see he added two players who I believe were in Manitoba.

we had 19 cases the last time I check we added two players to the taxi squad if that your definition of being prepared for the fact we will have to play games.

He had to know that  atleast 1/4 of the team would still be to sick or weak to safely play. 
and even some of the others probably shouldn’t play. 

so your move would be to have Benning call out the NHL exec in the media. Smooth. 

You have no idea what Benning has said to his players. We do know that the Canucks re-tweeted Millers press conference, causing a media stir. That should tell you something. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
30 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

This is exactly it. The covid situation is bad on its own. The schedule is bad on its own. Compounding the two together and I'd say the chances that there are NO long term effects for anyone has to be near zero.
But I guess its important for McDavid and Matthews to score a few more goals against us.

The NHL really needs to try and learn from this experience, because it's extremely unlikely that Covid and it's variants aren't also a factor when next season begins (whenever that is and what it looks like). I get that it's the entertainment business, but they're going to need to be much more flexible regarding the health of their athletes. The NBA is already ahead of them on this, they should take note. 

Players are paid handsomely to play in the best hockey league in the world, but the NHL isn't the best hockey league in the world without the best players, it's a symbiotic thing. The league needs to place more emphasis on protecting it's players from Covid, illegal hits, and the grey area regarding hitting and headshots that stems from their pathetic excuse for reffing and disciplinary officials. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

I liked a suggestion that I saw, I think it was on here, that we target games against Ottawa, for after the 16th as its likely that the Canucks and Ottawa are extremely unlikely to make the playoffs, so they wouldn't interfere with playoff schedule.

• Vintage 1
1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

The NHL really needs to try and learn from this experience, because it's extremely unlikely that Covid and it's variants aren't also a factor when next season begins (whenever that is and what it looks like). I get that it's the entertainment business, but they're going to need to be much more flexible regarding the health of their athletes. The NBA is already ahead of them on this, they should take note. 

Players are paid handsomely to play in the best hockey league in the world, but the NHL isn't the best hockey league in the world without the best players, it's a symbiotic thing. The league needs to place more emphasis on protecting it's players, both from Covid, illegal hits, and the grey area regarding hitting and headshots that stems from their pathetic excuse for reffing. 

Agree. The players ARE the NHL ad need to be protected as such. Everyone else is replaceable (except maybe Gritty)

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I liked a suggestion that I saw, I think it was on here, that we target games against Ottawa, for after the 16th as its likely that the Canucks and Ottawa are extremely unlikely to make the playoffs, so they wouldn't interfere with playoff schedule.

That's what I was thinking. But they can't really suggest that until Canucks are mathematically eliminated.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The idea has been floated around and it makes sense. But the last I heard, the NHL is not considering it at this time (I can't remember who, but I believe a guest on Donnie and Dahli last week mentioned it), which is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't know how this is any better if there will be more back-to-back games to be played. If this is true, it would only mean they get an extra two days of rest at the start before they go on a more intense grind.

So we would play Sunday, Monday, and only miss one game, but get 2 extra days of rest, recovery, and practice. Well that just makes sense. Seems like a no brainer.

• Vintage 1
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 18 | SNP
  • SNuck unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic