The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 18 | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hendrix is considered the greatest guitarist in the history of rock and roll. I'm partial to Jimmy Page, but consider him and Hendrix to be the best.

Hendrix was very, very good, but I'd take Page over him; even though I couldn't stand Zep, least till the stereo was good enough that I could understand just what Plant was singing.

doesn't matter though as S.R.V. was better than both.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Hendrix was very, very good, but I'd take Page over him; even though I couldn't stand Zep, least till the stereo was good enough that I could understand just what Plant was singing.

I prefer Page a little bit more because of varied approaches he took with guitar playing in Led Zeppelin. That and his brilliant compositions and capability around a soundboard and a bunch of microphones. Triple threat; guitar god, talented songwriter, and producer.

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Stevie was amazing. His cover of Little Wing is better than Hendrix's original. But Hendrix is, and always will be mind freakin blowing. Watch his set at Woodstock. It's insane.

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But Hendrix is, and always will be mind freakin blowing. Watch his set at Woodstock. It's insane.

He was great that day, but other than him inspiring this song, not my guy.

Speaking of great guitarists, the guys playing here are a true "who is who".

The line-up of "Accidental Suicide": Mick Taylor, Eric Clapton, Harvey Mandel (lead guitars), Sugarcane Harris (violin), Larry Taylor (bass guitar), John Mayall (rhythm guitar, harmonica and vocal).

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

The line-up of "Accidental Suicide": Mick Taylor, Eric Clapton, Harvey Mandel (lead guitars), Sugarcane Harris (violin), Larry Taylor (bass guitar), John Mayall (rhythm guitar, harmonica and vocal).

Loved what Mick Taylor brought to the Stones. His virtuosity was a great couterpoint to Richards. Clapton, I've always felt is really overrated. He was great in Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominoes though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Great guitar player these days is John Bonamassa. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Loved what Mick Taylor brought to the Stones. His virtuosity was a great couterpoint to Richards. Clapton, I've always felt is really overrated. He was great in Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominoes though. 

Clapton was/is fantastic, however I've always wondered how he would have done if he didn't copy J.J. Cale tunes and sound.

Throw Mark Knopfler in there too, least as far as sound goes.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

J.T Miller's one of the more outspoken players. I wonder if his relationship with the organization has been shaken after all this?

Not a chance.   They re-tweeted it.   I'd be surprised if he didn't ask to speak out about it first, but if he didn't they backed him up anyways. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Clapton was/is fantastic, however I've always wondered how he would have done if he didn't copy J.J. Cale tunes and sound.

Sorry for the double post.

Edited by gurn

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

OK this looks a little better....

image.pngimage.png

Is this thing a go? I have Monday off work (oz time) and wondering if I  will I be able to watch the canucks over coffee and weetbix (oz cereal)? 

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

J.T Miller's one of the more outspoken players. I wonder if his relationship with the organization has been shaken after all this?

Just curious how this would hurt his relationship with the organization? All he did was look out for his coworkers. If anything, they probably support what he said. 

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

For me it's Clapton's blues purist approach that got old quick, especially when he finished with Duane Allman and the rest of the Dominoes. 

Knopfler has an amazing unique sound and is a great picker. Tony Iommi and Robert Fripp had amazing tones as well. 

39 minutes ago, gurn said:

Page is the best guitarist ever born, to me at least it's not even close.   Spent months  to learn how to play Bron Yaur (Physical Graffiti instrumental), it's beautiful stuff - to the point i could play it in the dark.   He blends artistry and ability like no other.    Not that Van Halen wasn't great, or Malmstean, or Surfer or a few of the heavy/speed metal guys.   He's a master bard.   Just having a twelve and six neck guitar electric says enough.    Inspired and entire generation of amazing rock music.   IMO Led Zep is up there with the Beatles ... Above the Stones.   And miles ahead of Radio Head, U2 and Pearl Jam.   It's a travesty music has turned into song writers and box music.   Hard Rock bands have basically died.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Benning never did answer the question "Is Rathbone on his way here?".   Maybe he, Baertschi and Gadjovich are flying in - none were playing today in the 6 -  2 loss to Providence

Rathbone is a secret weapon.   Him and Woo have done their thing this year.   I'd love to see what this guy can do, despite a similar stature as Hughes he's got an edge to his play.   Have to admit it had my doubts, but now i'm super curious as to what he's got.    Don't really like a L side filled with smaller guys BUT .... he's got a ton of upside.     Recently ranked second in our pool by THN (moved way up, and not just because our pool is thinning out) ... This guy might become a key player in our continued youth movement. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Page is the best guitarist ever born, to me at least it's not even close.   Spent months  to learn how to play Bron Yaur (Physical Graffiti instrumental), it's beautiful stuff - to the point i could play it in the dark.   He blends artistry and ability like no other.    Not that Van Halen wasn't great, or Malmstean, or Surfer or a few of the heavy/speed metal guys.   He's a master bard.   Just having a twelve and six neck guitar electric says enough.    Inspired and entire generation of amazing rock music.   IMO Led Zep is up there with the Beatles ... Above the Stones.   And miles ahead of Radio Head, U2 and Pearl Jam.   It's a travesty music has turned into song writers and box music.   Hard Rock bands have basically died.

Zeppelin's influence may have partially eclipsed the Beatles now. Both wield a massive influence over music that very few other bands can. I think the fact that the Beatles stopped playing live did affect them both positively and negatively. The positive was that they were 100% studio focused which brought about Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Peppers and all. Those albums are unbelievably excellent. The negative is that they no longer played live and didn't grow in that regard. 

Led Zeppelin's enduring influence has it's fingerprints on punk (Johnny Ramone stated that he gleaned the downstroke on Blitzkrieg Bop from Communication Breakdown and Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols would head out drinking with Page and Iggy Pop in the late seventies) metal (Iommi and Osbourne stated that Zeppelin influenced them) rap/hip hop (both Rubin's influence on the Beastie Boys, and how various Zeppelin material was sampled by rap groups) techno/industrial/EDM (all have sampled When the Levee Breaks and either sped it up or slowed it down). Not to mention Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, the White Stripes, Guns n' Roses, the Tragically Hip, U2, and numerous other bands naming them as a major influence. 

Eddie Van Halen was way ahead of his time and is so much better than Vai, Malmsteen, or Satriani. Those guys are amazingly technically proficient, but Eddie was like an explosion. Slash, Tom Morello, Jonny Greenwood and others are great too. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I was a transplant from here living in Edmonton and it took me ten years to put on a double E jersey and I felt unclean wearing it. I could only be a fan of the home team if the Lions weren’t involved. I wore my Lions jersey to a Western Final one year and had a lot of fun, for whatever reason it’s always been more acceptable in the CFL as long as you’re not drunk and obnoxious. After a Lions TD I’d stand and clap and the snowballs would rain down, mostly hitting other Eskie fans.

As season ticket holders in BC Place we generally had lots of fun with the watermelon helmet people when the Roughies came to town.

without SK fans I'm not sure you could run a league in Canada. Thankfully for the CFL most of us leave. 

• Cheers 3