The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 18 | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

11 hours ago, Convincing John said:

The Canucks getting wiped out by the virus doesn’t make us look too good. 

I'm glad your concern is in the right place here.

"Image is everything" but I don't remember the "screw people's health" part.  Must have missed that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm a bit afraid to see this game tomorrow,  with so much time off, little practice and many players just back on their feet (sort of) after having a serious respiratory illness, I'm thinking its going to be heartbreaking to watch.  No matter I wish they win but pretty sure they won't be able to even if they wanted.   We'll have to wait and see...... 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Convincing John said:

The point I’m trying to make here is that we shouldn’t be in this position. Everyone in Canada always has that “we got free healthcare” swagger around Americans, but we are a global joke right now. The Canucks getting wiped out by the virus doesn’t make us look too good. Like I said before, if we weren’t too cool to travel to our normal pacific division teams, the entire team could’ve walked into a vaccination hub and got vaccinated in minutes. This Canadian division hilariously backfired in our faces.  

Frankly I still have swagger about our health care system over the US.  Why shouldn't we?  We pay half as much, and cover everyone from cradle to grave. But that is another topic altogether. Doesn't have much to do with attracting variants of COVID.

The global joke is our inability to produce our own vaccines, as we used to do, thanks to the Mulroney government and Conservative's who think the answer to everything is to sell off all public owned assets to their private donors, no matter how useful or cost saving to the public, as Connaught Labs was to Canadians. A public institution here since 1914.  There was a time when Canada was a world leader in vaccine development and the WHO even commissioned us to lead world production of the Polio vaccine in the 1950s.  Connaught Labs provided Canadians with vaccines against diphtheria (the original reason for starting up) polio, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, as well as producing Insulin through the last century, with Canadians first in line 

Now we have to beg for other countries leftovers.

And the new variants are mostly the result of people getting virus weary and getting lax.  Especially in the younger demographics where it is rising. And selfish Canadian international vacation travellers bringing it back. 

The US still has well over twice a many deaths per capital @ 1,715.03 per million, to 624.7 per million, as of today, for Canada.  So even with this unfortunate variant surge, and not having access to vaccines early, we are still doing much better than down south.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not sure how I feel about this.  I rather like having our prospects developing far away from our local media.

Bring them down to Boise, Idaho. Only like a two hour or so flight away from Van with the layover in Seattle.

(Yes , I live there right now. :P)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not sure how I feel about this.  I rather like having our prospects developing far away from our local media.

Depends where they put them.

If they can put them in like Kelowna there would be less distractions and media attention.

It makes sense for Utica to have a farm team for a team they actually cheer for.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The media statement is interesting. They are really fighting this.

Maybe if the media didn’t constantly speculate and create controversy (basically act like professionals) they’d be allowed in.

The player are having a tough enough time recovering, they don’t need the media in there trying to stir the pot for ratings.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I'm a bit afraid to see this game tomorrow,  with so much time off, little practice and many players just back on their feet (sort of) after having a serious respiratory illness, I'm thinking its going to be heartbreaking to watch.  No matter I wish they win but pretty sure they won't be able to even if they wanted.   We'll have to wait and see...... 

what is your source concerning players dealing with any serious respiratory issues please  

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I see what your saying.  Like Sutter mentioned: there's extreme fatigue he went through.  I've talked to a lot of fellow survivors and there is a common thread about fatigue.  Especially mentioned when talking about stairs.

Pro athletes are tough and our guys will put a brave face on. But if any can't finish the game I won't be surprised. I'm guessing our guys will be at 80% tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

have they really been protected from the media? 

tbh I'd like to be able to go to some of these games, could be fun and it would be nice to make use of call ups without the travel delays. Could be a nice boost for a smaller BC city too.