The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 18 | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

#1. I hope all the players make it through this without any serious injury

#2. Looking at the schedule, its laughable to think that we can make the playoffs, especially with the condition that the players are coming back in and having to start out with 5 games in 7 nights

#3. I would think as things sit right now and projecting exhaustion level to start and all the way through the next month, we're going to finish no higher than bottom 5 in the league.

The NHL really needs to rethink the next month and look at stretching the final games of the season out more. I'm not sure I understand why they need to play this many this fast and why there's such resistance to the schedule completing in the last few days of May instead of the targeted May 8th for most of the NHL and 16th for the Canucks. Just stretch it out already as its the overall product that you're trying to put in front of fans, that's suffering. Who really wants to watch exhausted teams, or situations where one team is totally exhausted and another team is rested. 

Just now, SNuck said:

I love you but whenever you post I think of this guy

image.png

Ever since I started watching Canucks hockey in 2001 I've felt the system has been against us... Over the years the NHL has proven this to me time after time. 

This isn't gonna make me pound alarm bells any harder than them rigging a Stanley cup final or flat out rigging series after 

If you want me to ramble on how this league has treated us like horse manure then I'll go on about Bertuzzi incident, Duncan Keith attempted 1st degree murder or countless other things. 

In fact this is nothing compared to the stuff our glorious fans have had to endure. 

Here we are, they gave us a bad schedule...  We can moan or just be grateful hockey is back and try to support our boys. 

If any group can rally, it's Jim Bennings boys and the glorious men that wear our colours. :towel:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, apollo said:

He seems more frustrated/angry than defeated 

This could go either way but I'm gonna guess nothing better than a JT Miller that's upset and has a chip on his shoulder... One of those guys like Kesler that plays better when facing adversity? 

These are proud athletes. I think they'll give it their all. No player is waiving a white flags Deb. Don't worry :)

The only white flags we need are from the *insert pause*... MILLIONS in support of our boys. In fact I'll get my towels out come Friday too! We all should! 

:towel::towel::towel:

Win or lose, this is the best group of young stars we've ever had and this team is going places. As for me, I have faith the boys are gonna rally for us here down the stretch.

It's not about pride....it's about the body's ability to bounce back from a serious virus.  This isn't something you can will yourself through by all accounts to date.  Lung capacity is diminished.  Oxygen levels depleted.  It takes time to bounce back from something that hits like that.  Plus...3 weeks of doing nothing.  That, alone, is enough to make guys vulnerable if thrown back in at playoff intensity and speed.   Think of how players are often eased back in after injury...especially "down the stretch".  You throw them right into the fire you're playing with fire.  Not sure it's a risk that others should assign.  Many workplaces now have rules in place that prevent workers from being pushed too hard upon return after illness/injury.  They get assignments that reflect that easing back in period.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

If any group can rally, it's Jim Bennings boys and the glorious men that wear our colours. :towel:

I'd be a lot more confident if Petey and Podz were playing.  They're Miller's brothers from another mother - losing just isn't an option to them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davathor said:

Pretty ridiculous to ask us to roll out half the farm team and pretend its fair in any way

I'm convinced some other teams would have provisions made for them.  At the very least, the schedule wouldn't include a back to back within a 24 hour period against two top teams.

Let's accentuate the positives ......

We get to see the youngsters

Huggy Bear won't have any of those 2'12" shifts

Holtby gets to showcase himself for Seattle

Green can activate the line blender as much as he likes 

... that's alI I've got

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

... that's alI I've got

whats a 2 foot 12 inch shift?

• Haha 1

I understand the sentiment of many on here. But im sure opposing teams are going to take it easy and not go full throttle..

And if any player does not wish to return they dont have to.. they can simply refuse. Im sure the players themselves know exactly if they can or can not return. No one putting a gun to their head.

Take a leave of absense. Dont get paid for rest of games. Simple.

My brother's best friend passed away last month. He took 2 weeks off work. He didnt get paid said he needed time off.

These guys are making millions. They're in great financial shape. Im sure they'll be fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

... that's alI I've got

One more positive is that this group is going to bond together over this restart and schedule and really go to war for each other.  

That will be a very positive takeaway for the future.

That's all I've got...

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

#1. I hope all the players make it through this without any serious injury

#2. Looking at the schedule, its laughable to think that we can make the playoffs, especially with the condition that the players are coming back in and having to start out with 5 games in 7 nights

#3. I would think as things sit right now and projecting exhaustion level to start and all the way through the next month, we're going to finish no higher than bottom 5 in the league.

The NHL really needs to rethink the next month and look at stretching the final games of the season out more. I'm not sure I understand why they need to play this many this fast and why there's such resistance to the schedule completing in the last few days of May instead of the targeted May 8th for most of the NHL and 16th for the Canucks. Just stretch it out already as its the overall product that you're trying to put in front of fans, that's suffering. Who really wants to watch exhausted teams, or situations where one team is totally exhausted and another team is rested. 

The season and playoffs need to be over before the Olympics start which is July 23. 

The NHL is bush league.  All the ignored headshots and now this.  All they care about is putting a team on the ice; it doesn't matter if they have been ravaged by Covid19 or that they are unprepared, both mentally and physically.  AND the schedule is a farce.

I'm glad JT had the balls to speak up.  If he doesn't feel ready to play, I can only imagine the guys that had the virus must be feeling.

The boys really need our support now.  I know they will work hard and do their best, despite the fact that they are not prepared to play professional hockey.  

It's going to be hard watching them out there.  Hopefully they'll get through this without injuries.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Pretty ridiculous to ask us to roll out half the farm team and pretend its fair in any way

since when did the NHL exec care about fair? this is about advertising revenue, specially not having to give any of it back. 

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's not about pride....it's about the body's ability to bounce back from a serious virus.  This isn't something you can will yourself through by all accounts to date.  Lung capacity is diminished.  Oxygen levels depleted.  It takes time to bounce back from something that hits like that.  Plus...3 weeks of doing nothing.  That, alone, is enough to make guys vulnerable if thrown back in at playoff intensity and speed.   Think of how players are often eased back in after injury...especially "down the stretch".  You throw them right into the fire you're playing with fire.  Not sure it's a risk that others should assign.  Many workplaces now have rules in place that prevent workers from being pushed too hard upon return after illness/injury.  They get assignments that reflect that easing back in period.  

I don't like pounding alarm bells. Our team has doctors, I'm not worried. Gonna support the boys.

Did Dr Bovard come out saying these guys are being put at risk and the NHL is trying to ruin our team? Or you reading trolls reporters on Twitter fear mongering for likes? That one u posted about Sutter sitting out rest of season minutes after he's taken off IR... typical van Twitter media fear mongering lol 

Also you're comparing nhl to other work places is odd... I know people who got covid and worked for many legit companies... Elis Don, Google, Walmart... None of them got sent home with personal doctor and nutritionist. Also none were being tested daily to catch the virus at earliest point possible. 

I really think you underestimate the level of care these guys receive. It's not a normal job. There's quite a lot of privilege that comes with it. 

The doctors have cleared them to play. The league thinks it's safe... I'm gonna assume that means I shouldn't panic and spread drama. 

Nice day, gonna go for a walk! 

• Upvote 1