The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 18 | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I understand the sentiment of many on here. But im sure opposing teams are going to take it easy and not go full throttle..

And if any player does not wish to return they dont have to.. they can simply refuse. Im sure the players themselves know exactly if they can or can not return. No one putting a gun to their head.

Take a leave of absense. Dont get paid for rest of games. Simple.

My brother's best friend passed away last month. He took 2 weeks off work. He didnt get paid said he needed time off.

These guys are making millions. They're in great financial shape. Im sure they'll be fine.

From what I understand listening to SN 650 the players can simply refuse to play. They just won’t get paid for the games they missed. This was negotiated prior to the season when the players wanted to get paid their full salaries for the season even though they were only playing 56 games. The owners caved and gave them that request. 

I’m sure there are some players that actually need the money. Between taxes and escrow some of these guys won’t be making much more than some regular folks. 

The NHL is bush league.  All the ignored headshots and now this.  All they care about is putting a team on the ice; it doesn't matter if they have been ravaged by Covid19 or that they are unprepared, both mentally and physically.  AND the schedule is a farce.

I'm glad JT had the balls to speak up.  If he doesn't feel ready to play, I can only imagine the guys that had the virus must be feeling.

The boys really need our support now.  I know they will work hard and do their best, despite the fact that they are not prepared to play professional hockey.  

It's going to be hard watching them out there.  Hopefully they'll get through this without injuries.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

The NHL is bush league.  All the ignored headshots and now this.  All they care about is putting a team on the ice; it doesn't matter if they have been ravaged by Covid19 or that they are unprepared, both mentally and physically.  AND the schedule is a farce.

I'm glad JT had the balls to speak up.  If he doesn't feel ready to play, I can only imagine the guys that had the virus must be feeling.

The boys really need our support now.  I know they will work hard and do their best, despite the fact that they are not prepared to play professional hockey.  

It's going to be hard watching them out there.  Hopefully they'll get through this without injuries.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

From what I understand listening to SN 650 the players can simply refuse to play. They just won’t get paid for the games they missed. This was negotiated prior to the season when the players wanted to get paid their full salaries for the season even though they were only playing 56 games. The owners caved and gave them that request. 

I’m sure there are some players that actually need the money. Between taxes and escrow some of these guys won’t be making much more than some regular folks. 

Ya they can refuse. . I know very successful folks. Lots of family and friends. I dont know any group of 25 that makes a combined 107 million dollars. 

Nhl minimum pay is 750k. We all have to pay taxes. They're paying escrow. Ohh no.. if i worked only half the year i wouldnt mind paying escrow..

Simple if you dont feel ready even after medically cleared dont play. 

I dont understand all this sadness on cdc. Its like as if they're getting sent to Gulags in Siberia. 

If they want their season cancelled do it... refuse to play. They dont get paid rest of season.. everybody happy..

• Cheers 1

Jasek scores on the powerplay from Anas and Baertschi to make it 2-1 Comets

Utica outshooting Syracuse 23 to 7 (total) just 6 mins into the 2nd period

(The first goal, by Stevens, was also a PP goal)

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

30 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Let's accentuate the positives ......

We get to see the youngsters

Huggy Bear won't have any of those 2'12" shifts

Holtby gets to showcase himself for Seattle

Green can activate the line blender as much as he likes 

... that's alI I've got

Green can’t even count 5 skaters, relying on him to operate a blender is a stretch 

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya they can refuse. . I know very successful folks. Lots of family and friends. I dont know any group of 25 that makes a combined 107 million dollars. 

Nhl minimum pay is 750k. We all have to pay taxes. They're paying escrow. Ohh no.. if i worked only half the year i wouldnt mind paying escrow..

Simple if you dont feel ready even after medically cleared dont play. 

I dont understand all this sadness on cdc. Its like as if they're getting sent to Gulags in Siberia. 

If they want their season cancelled do it... refuse to play. They dont get paid rest of season.. everybody happy..

You nailed it. As pros they know whether they can go or not. If it is a no then sit the game(s) out. I don't have a problem with that. 

If I owned the team, would let everyone in the organization know that I will pay any and all fines if the league try to punish players for not playing. I would even pay the players salaries until this gets resolved. And I'd let the NHL know I'm pulling all my reserves from the AHL and once they clear quarantine, they will be ready to play. 

I would not want it on my conscience that a player gets sick, or gets hurt because they are not physically ready to play, and don't feel safe. 

These are human beings. Not just players. I'd want them to know I've got their backs. I want to see them play as much as anyone. But I don't want to see Miller or anyone out for the rest of the year, because they were not ready. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

finally habs scored, 2-1 flames vs MTL. 2nd period.

Habs have a tendency to push tight games into OT. They’ve had a lot of comebacks but don’t have the offensive/elite talent to be successful in 3v3 and shootouts. 

Let's try not to excessively complain about the forthcoming losses. The boys will do their best with what they've been given, but it could be rough. All the NHL cares about is getting a full season in, and with TOR having such a dominating season so far, they want to see how this ends. Good for business. I get the feeling the Canucks are like a piece of gum on the shoe of the NHL.  

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If I owned the team, would let everyone in the organization know that I will pay any and all fines if the league try to punish players for not playing. I would even pay the players salaries until this gets resolved. And I'd let the NHL know I'm pulling all my reserves from the AHL and once they clear quarantine, they will be ready to play. 

I would not want it on my conscience that a player gets sick, or gets hurt because they are not physically ready to play, and don't feel safe. 

These are human beings. Not just players. I'd want them to know I've got their backs. I want to see them play as much as anyone. But I don't want to see Miller or anyone out for the rest of the year, because they were not ready. 

They dont have to play if they not ready. Whats so hard to understand about that?

Are there reports that they are being forced to return at gunpoint or being sent to prison if they dont play? I havent heard that but if you know please let us know.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1