The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Rumours about Schmidt and Miller

I was listening to 650, and for about the 3rd time I heard someone (this time Friedman) mention that there were rumours around that teams have been calling on Miller and Schmidt and that the Canucks have had discussions about it.

It sounds a little crazy, but maybe there are deals to be had that improve us.

I think Miller to Buffalo is an easy no-brainer.  Buffalo is going to explode their team, if it isn't Eichel moving out they need to get pieces to surround him.  A veteran Miller would be an ideal linemate for him, which could make him a lot happier that his organization is actually trying.

A trade for Miller could look like (maybe with small adds going either way to even out):

To Buffalo:
Miller
Virtanen

To Vancouver:
Ristolainen
Eakin

+?

Then Schmidt is expendable as Risto seems like a better fit with our other D

Jersey is losing a top 4D this offseason and then Subban the year after and don't have enough ready made replacements.  They have a lot of really decent young forwards.  They might also need some support for Blackwood.

A trade with Jersey could look like:
To Jersey:
Schmidt
Holtby
Roussel

A Decent pick/prospect 

To Vancouver:
Jesper Bratt
Nate Bastian

That ends up with us having some extra cap room to pay for our needed extensions and a roster that looks like:

Hoglander-Petterson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Bratt
Podkolzin-Eakin-Bastian
Motte-Beagle-Lind
MacEwan

Hughes-Ristolainen
Edler-Tryamkin
Juolevi-Myers
Rathbone-Bowie

Demko
XX

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1

Miller has no NTC and would fetch quite a return as he's proven to be a top 6 winger at a good cap hit.

Schmidt has a M-NTC (10 team no trade list).  Might be harder to move him to a bad team like NJ. 

I'm not opposed to trading either of them as long as the return is good now and the future.  Like JB says...we're 2yrs from contending.

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Miller has no NTC and would fetch quite a return as he's proven to be a top 6 winger at a good cap hit.

yeah he's probably not too happy about that. This is the info from cap friendly:

CLAUSE DETAILS: Miller was traded on June 22, 2019, prior to his Modified NTC coming into effect, giving Vancouver the option of voiding clause. CapFriendly has confirmed that Vancouver did not honor his trade clause.

he'd be a great trade piece, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend him for Risto, I'd rather try for a younger RHD who's still an RFA after next season. 

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Schmidt has a M-NTC (10 team no trade list).  Might be harder to move him to a bad team like NJ. 

I'm not opposed to trading either of them as long as the return is good now and the future.  Like JB says...we're 2yrs from contending.

Nate is a keeper imo. We got him for nearly free and once life gets back to normal he'll be a bigger part of the team. He's too useful in the top 4 to move on from imo. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

It is true about Schmidt... Jersey was an example, we should be able to find a youngish but established top 6 winger + from one of the 22 teams that he can be traded to.  It is quite possible we could even make a trade with Seattle after the expansion draft.

With the Jersey example, I don’t think I am reaching too high to say that Schmidt is worth more than Bratt at this stage and let’s us move some cap in that trade.

Lol.  Who the heck is going to play on D if we deal Schmidt?  Edler’s body is already breaking down.  And Myers isn’t getting any younger himself.  Slotting in basically three rookies on our blueline is a recipe for disaster imho.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I wouldnt trade our top scoring producer. Thats just me though.

depends on the back story, if he's a disgruntled baby then why not if the return is great. But you've got full control of a top 6 veteran ppg player, no need to rush on a bad deal. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Lol.  Who the heck is going to play on D if we deal Schmidt?  Edler’s body is already breaking down.  And Myers isn’t getting any younger himself.

If only the original post had the exact answer to the question you posed... wouldn’t that be something!

If only the traders brought back a top pairing D who plays more minutes than Schmidt and is a much better complementary partner for Hughes than anyone we have in the organization...

Edited by Provost

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@Provost I don't mind your idea, just not for Risto. He's not that good, and a UFA in 1 year. We can do better. 

I guess I am just higher on the player.  Once Buffalo stopped playing him 26 minutes a game he has gotten drastically better.

Maybe it would need to be a deal after July 1st where you can have an agreement on an extension before pulling the trigger on the trade.

I don't see why the Devils would move Bratt in this type of deal, or at all really.

That player is a huge part of their top 6 moving forward, his responsible defensive play should help anchor Hughes.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I looked at your roster.  You still have three rookies/ sophomores slotted in the top six.<_<

You mean the exact number we would have if we switched Schmidt and Risto back?

Changing the goalposts doesn’t make your previous comment make any more sense.  First you were worried about having too many veterans with their “bodies breaking down”, now it is having too many younger guys?

Switching Schmidt for a guy who plays more minutes doesn’t give us less bodies to play defence like you suggested.  It also switches a guy hitting 30 (who will be “breaking down”) with an experienced guy 3 years younger and just starting his prime years.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

depends on the back story, if he's a disgruntled baby then why not if the return is great. But you've got full control of a top 6 veteran ppg player, no need to rush on a bad deal. 

Is there some backstory I'm not aware of? If it's the losing frustration I dont think that's a bad thing...

Oilers accepted losing for a decade. Look where it got them.

Just now, Provost said:

You mean the exact number we would have if we switched Schmidt and Risto back?

Changing the goalposts doesn’t make your previous comment make any more sense.  First you were worried about having too many veterans with their “bodies breaking down”, now it is having too many younger guys?

Switching Schmidt for a guy who plays more minutes doesn’t give us less bodies to play defence like you suggested.  It also switches a guy hitting 30 (who will be “breaking down”) with an experienced guy 3 years younger and just starting his prime years.

Sorry you posted a reply too fast for me lol.  I saw the error in my post and edited it but around the same time as your reply.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Is there some backstory I'm not aware of? If it's the losing frustration I dont think that's a bad thing...

Oilers accepted losing for a decade. Look where it got them.

no I'm just speculating, I don't want to lose Miller. Just saying "if" there was some reason behind the scenes e.g. or he's asked to be moved, e.g. I have no news of anything like that.

Like all things, it depends on the return.

• Cheers 1

Very much doubt that NJD would even have interest in Schmidt.  He doesn’t fit their timeline.  NJD waived Vatanen and scratched Gusev because they wanted those spots for their kids.  

They have been deliberately moving out veterans.  See NJD more signing 1 year UFAs then giving up the youth they hope to keep long term.  

Shero in part lost his job because ownership wanted him to involve more their analytics department.  Holtby is performing below expected.  Schmidt isn’t all that reliable defensively per the evolving-hockey model.  

Both Ristolainen and Eakin are UFAs after next year whereas Miller has an additional year.  I suppose that additional value might be compensated for the Canucks by Buffalo also taking Virtanen's cap hit and salary for next year.  Probably relatively fair but I agree that Buffalo would probably still need to add.  Miller has been a point per game player since joining the Canucks and the cost control for 2-more years instead of just 1 should be extremely valuable.  You can't sign a PPG player in UFA at $5.25M.

Not the biggest fan of Ristolainen but he does (on paper) meet a lot of team needs.  If there was some way to pry Laaksonen from the Sabres in the deal, then that would be great (but I assume that is a pipe dream).  Don't mind Eakin as 3C for next season and provided he's not signed to an exorbitant contract, he could be kept on for another couple of years but at this stage of his career, it seems that he's basically a left shooting Beagle.