The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tokyo Olympics

-DLC-

27 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW, last night I watched a pretty impressive performance in the women's 1500 meter heats....

A runner from the Netherlands named Sifan Hassan was one of the pre-Olympic favorites and known for cruising near the back of the pack and then finishing with a strong kick in the last lap...

This was the tactic she was employing in her first round race, until disaster struck. Just after the final lap began, she got caught up with a few other runners and fell, along with another runner near the back of the pack.

All she did after that was get up and reel in the entire field to finish first in the heat....

That, alone could be the story of the Olympics. She is also running two other distances, and had to do that to advance to the semi's. Did you notice that one of the prone runners might have been spiked in the buttocks in that crash? Gutsy effort from the Canadian sisters too. The 1500 is now a sprint with these athletes. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Coda said:

I mean, Usain Bolt had a season best time of 9.95 the year he retired in 2017.  So I'm not really sure how you expect him to beat DeGrasse's 9.89 4 years later at age 34.  

yeah, maybe. Thankfully it's not the field from 2012 because none of these guys podium with these times :blink:

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Thanks for that - much more interesting to watch than the beach game.

I think Karaly's beach partner was Kent Steffes (not the biggest name, but they won a lot) - although I admittedly stopped paying attention around the time he stopped playing indoors.  He was largely what drove US success at the international level - well a few players (Steve Timmons as well) which made the strength of US programs appear better than they were overall imo.   Those two schools - UCLA and Hawaii were a pair of teams we played - (one of my friends/competitors in high school wound up going to Hawaii) - we beat both those teams handily - but the UCLA matchup was unforgettable.  They were defending US champions and had the most arrogant, aloof attitudes of any athletes in any sport I ever competed in.  Hated having to come up to this backwater - declined a team invitation to host them at the best restaurant in the city  - probably part of why I grew such a distaste for the Beach Boy thing (I've always found volleyball players in general to be oddly impressed with ourselves - somewhat ironic considering generally nobody watches or gives a crap about volleyball lol).  Anyway, we destroyed them in straight sets.  And then let them know that we were a good team, but not great by Canadian standards - that they were going on to face the real powerhouses (the prairie teams like Manitoba, Sask)...so, have fun with that.  They went 0-6 on that tour (actually may have been 0-7 or 0-8, can't recall exactly, but they lost every match), a rude awakening that they weren't really 'all that'. 

I find the indoor game to be an unreal spectator sport (as well as such a rush to play) = I'm always surprised it doesn't gain more traction.

Why is UH such a powerhouse Volleyball magnet? Kane or Wahini, both programs are really good. Quite a few Canadians end up on the campus for Volleyball too.

4 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

I don't want to come off as salty, but I haven't forgotten the travesty that was the 2012 Olympic semifinal, so it felt like poetic justice to see the Americans done in by a VAR penalty decision.

same. 

I had to laught today - that penalty call - was....weak.  Right on the border of the box - didn't exactly prevent a scoring chance....

That's the problem with soccer - anything inside that arbitrary box / line - and it's what can be an extremely disproportionate penalty - a penalty shot...that alone is capable of ruining a lot of games.

The other thing I hate about the rules of the game - offside.   Nothing more ludicrous than watching defenders advance, to leave attackers behind them, to trap them offside.  11 players on the field - 22 in total - if you can't get back....you deserve to get beaten.  I'd mitigate that by saying, in the absence of the offside rule, you wouldn't want teams parking a forward 30 meters behind the play cherry picking - but as it is, it's absurdly restrictive, and limits far too much offense in a game that needs more excitement/entertainment value - goal scoring....my 2c.

34 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Why is UH such a powerhouse Volleyball magnet? Kane or Wahini, both programs are really good. Quite a few Canadians end up on the campus for Volleyball too.

I'm not sure - but I do know that back in the (late) 1980s they started 'scouting'/recruiting up here (maybe that was their coach at the time / Alan Rosehill) - perhaps they were aware of how strong the indoor game in Canada was (they certainly would have learned quickly enough) - and unlike Canadian universities, American schools are more 'incentive' driven, whereas Canada could let it's talent slip right under our noses (and it wasn't legal to offer scholarships here - when I played every player got the same modest varsity stipend - I think it was $1000 or $1500 iirc).  If you didn't care about the inferior education you generally get in the United States (or wanted to avoid accumulating debt) - then going down there, primarily sport-motivated, made a lot of sense/was hard to resist (as would be going to a place like Hawaii - which could otherwise have some fairly significant financial barriers for people from families that weren't particularly wealthy).

Talent throught the cracks certainly wasn't limited to vball either - Steve Nash as a high schooler (was older than he him, but played with/against him as he'd regularly come up to practice/play with jr bball team - who'd always be challenging us sr.vball to hoops games) - his coach (Ian Hyde-Lay) wrote to something like 50 universities (don't quote me on this, I may be embellishing but I recall the gist of the story) - trying to find Nash a scholarship and challenging place to compete - I believe (marginal) Santa Clara may have been the only one that bit and offered him a scholarship.  I thought he was a great young player, but to be honest, never imagined he'd become an NBA MVP.

Edited by oldnews

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm not sure - but I do know that back in the (late) 1980s they started 'scouting'/recruiting up here (maybe that was their coach at the time / Alan Rosehill) - perhaps they were aware of how strong the indoor game in Canada was (they certainly would have learned quickly enough) - and unlike Canadian universities, American schools are more 'incentive' driven, whereas Canada could let it's talent slip right under our noses (and it wasn't legal to offer scholarships here - when I played every player got the same modest varsity stipend - I think it was $1000 or $1500 iirc).  If you didn't care about the inferior education you generally get in the United States (or wanted to avoid accumulating debt) - then going down there, primarily sport-motivated, made a lot of sense/was hard to resist (as would be going to a place like Hawaii - which could otherwise have some fairly significant financial barriers for people from families that weren't particularly wealthy).

It wasn't limited to vball either - Steve Nash as a high schooler (was older than he him, but played with/against him as he'd regularly come up to practice/play with jr bball team - who'd always be challenging us sr.vball to hoops games) - his coach (Ian Hyde-Lay) wrote to something like 50 universities (don't quote me on this, I may be embellishing but I recall the gist of the story) - trying to find Nash a scholarship and challenging place to compete - I believe (marginal) Santa Clara may have been the only one that bit and offered him a scholarship.  I thought he was a great young player, but to be honest, never imagined he'd become an NBA MVP.

I have an older gentleman friend from the Islands. All his life in fact. He's a huge UH supporter, and will sit and watch UH Volleyball, baseball, and Wahini softball for hours on the TV. Fun fact, he qb'd his high school football team against Don Ho. I know hey? In the early 2000's UH recruited their waterpolo coach from BC Waterpolo. We went to the campus and visited him, because he coached our son, and the friends we were with, their son too, in Canadian Jr Nationals. I think he was there for about 5 years.

I remember friends of ours had two girls that approached the University of the Pacific campus, but, it turned out they only had room for one of the girls in their soccer program. So they decided not to proceed.

• Cheers 1

Man, Basketball Canada needs to sacrifice a goat or something.....:wacko:

Even at 1-2, the Canadian women had 2 chances to advance: The US could beat France by 15 or more and Canada advances....or, Puerto Rico holds Australia to less than a 24 point win...

The US beats the French by 11, while the Aussies claim a 27 point victory....and the 4th ranked team in the world is heading home....

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

Thanks for that - much more interesting to watch than the beach game.

I think Karaly's beach partner was Kent Steffes (not the biggest name, but they won a lot) - although I admittedly stopped paying attention around the time he stopped playing indoors.  He was largely what drove US success at the international level - well a few players (Steve Timmons as well) which made the strength of US programs appear better than they were overall imo.   Those two schools - UCLA and Hawaii were a pair of teams we played - (one of my friends/competitors in high school wound up going to Hawaii) - we beat both those teams handily - but the UCLA matchup was unforgettable.  They were defending US champions and had the most arrogant, aloof attitudes of any athletes in any sport I ever competed in.  Hated having to come up to this backwater - declined a team invitation to host them at the best restaurant in the city  - probably part of why I grew such a distaste for the Beach Boy thing (I've always found volleyball players in general to be oddly impressed with ourselves - somewhat ironic considering generally nobody watches or gives a crap about volleyball lol).  Anyway, we destroyed them in straight sets.  And then let them know that we were a good team, but not great by Canadian standards - that they were going on to face the real powerhouses (the prairie teams like Manitoba, Sask)...so, have fun with that.  They went 0-6 on that tour (actually may have been 0-7 or 0-8, can't recall exactly, but they lost every match), a rude awakening that they weren't really 'all that'. 

I find the indoor game to be an unreal spectator sport (as well as such a rush to play) = I'm always surprised it doesn't gain more traction.

We are still beating them :towel:... here is a game between Trinity Western and LBSU the defending NCAA champs. Admittedly LBSU was not the same team after graduating TJ DeFalco, Ensing and Tuaniga each of whom play for the USA national team now (two of them in the Olympics).

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 250Integra said:

USA not looking good against Spain for mens basketball

1 hour ago, Mj2345 said:

USA Basketball advanced to semi finals where they will play Australia, Durant continues his great play.

Probably for the best...

....i doubt Marc Gasol's liver could handle another big victory.....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So can our athletics team, particularly Andre, not do some of these other events. Hurdles, for example, is the one that comes to mind. Practice the technique.. you'd think he'd be a threat to podium. 

It’s really hard to do hurdles.  I think the last top open 100M sprinter to also succeed at hurdles was Gail Devers.   

• Upvote 1