The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tokyo Olympics

-DLC-

13 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Nope.  Still not crazy about it.

Canadian Olympic Team Collection x Levi's Unisex Replica Closing Ceremony Trucker Jacket

Price reduced from$198to $138.60

Canadian Olympic Team Collection x Levi's Unisex Replica Closing Ceremony Trucker Jacket, INDIGO, hi-res

Yuk!  Our athletes are wearing these?  

image.png.967289c44e723e5b3db1d7f37a7c8b96.png

14 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Canadian Olympic Team Collection x Levi's Unisex Replica Closing Ceremony Trucker Jacket

Canadian Olympic Team Collection x Levi's Unisex Replica Closing Ceremony Trucker Jacket, INDIGO, hi-res

I think this is #1 reason I might ignore the Olympics this time. I like denim, but not for an Olympic Uniform.

Those ugly red cowboy outfits for Calgary were bad enough, but at least they were better than this. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

They should have this on the back:

The majestic Canadian beaver riding a goose while wearing a maple leaf  bikini #funny #majestic #canadian #beaver… | Happy canada day, Canadian  things, Canadian flag

• Haha 4

People are really critical of this Olympics, and not without reason, but damn if I'm not going to ignore the complaints when 99% of the people who are bitching will sit on their hands when 2022 happens because China is a lot more powerful than Japan, and will make sure mainstream media don't report on all the reasons why 2022 shouldn't happen.

Canada's uniforms are &^@#ing ugly.

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Canada's Women's soccer team allowed a late equalizer to Japan and earned a 1-1 draw in their opener....

That slight disappointment is mitigated somewhat by the fact that the US lost 3 - Nil to Sweden....

The greatest  Canadian soccer player, so far, also scored.

Well done Christine!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Let's get real here what's more important a sporting event or peoples lives ? 

Over 15,000 people have died in Japan since the pandemic began most of them this year.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-22/tokyo-olympics-highest-coronavirus-cases-reported-in-six-months/100316434

Here in my state/ province we are in our 5th total shutdown since the pandemic began and it started on the back of 15- 20 cases of Covid.

12 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I see that Olympic team Canada is paying homage to the iconic Canadian tuxedo. 
Although this one looks like something that Robin Sparkles designed.

I might be in the minority here....but I've found it odd that the Canadian Tuxedo thing has persisted for so long. I used to own jean jackets too....

....back in the 70's and 80's.

I can't even recall the last time I saw someone wearing one. Might have been a Tragically Hip doc and Gord Downie was rocking it, but actually walking down the street and seeing it being worn? It's been decades....

Of course, It's been decades since I've been to Alberta and Saskatchewan, so there's that....

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I might be in the minority here....but I've found it odd that the Canadian Tuxedo thing has persisted for so long. I used to own jean jackets too....

....back in the 70's and 80's.

I can't even recall the last time I saw someone wearing one. Might have been a Tragically Hip doc and Gord Downie was rocking it, but actually walking down the street and seeing it being worn? It's been decades....

Of course, It's been decades since I've been to Alberta and Saskatchewan, so there's that....

The last time I sported jeans on jeans look was the late 80s.

Jean jackets have been back but you mainly see women wearing it.

Canadian tuxedo is more along the lines of high top sneakers, dog sleds and mukluks imo.  when it comes to Canada.

18 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That's so crazy it might work!!!!!

That's the way it used to be:

https://olympics.com/ioc/faq/history-and-origin-of-the-games/since-when-have-the-summer-and-winter-games-no-longer-been-held-in-the-same-year

From 1924 to 1992, the Summer and Winter Games were each held in the same year, every four years. This four years period is called "Olympiad". The last Summer and Winter Games held in the same year were in Barcelona (Summer) and Albertville (Winter) in 1992. Since then, the Summer and Winter Games are each still held every four years but the Summer Games are celebrated during the first year of an Olympiad and the Winter Games held in the third year.

22 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

That's the way it used to be:

https://olympics.com/ioc/faq/history-and-origin-of-the-games/since-when-have-the-summer-and-winter-games-no-longer-been-held-in-the-same-year

From 1924 to 1992, the Summer and Winter Games were each held in the same year, every four years. This four years period is called "Olympiad". The last Summer and Winter Games held in the same year were in Barcelona (Summer) and Albertville (Winter) in 1992. Since then, the Summer and Winter Games are each still held every four years but the Summer Games are celebrated during the first year of an Olympiad and the Winter Games held in the third year.

How would this impact TV revenue though?  I preferred the Olympiad, but I’m thinking the IOC makes more cash the current way.  

Women's soccer team beats Chile 2-1....

On the surface, this probably puts them through to the KO stage, but I think it's a bit disappointing. I stayed up to watch the first half and Canada dominated. Beckie missed a PK, but then scored about 10 minutes later, but leading up to those was chance after chance that went begging because of poor service.

I think I could have counted the times Chile had any decent forays into the Canadian zone on one hand....

Next up is the far superior Brits and if they lose, it comes down to goal differential between Canada and Japan. (Both teams are expected to handle Chile without much trouble) The squad could easily find itself with a third place slot and a very tough first match in the next round, or depending on the score against the UK, even out altogether.

Conceding that late goal to Japan could come back and haunt them...

• Cheers 1