The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tokyo Olympics

-DLC-

16 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

USA Basketball with an embarrassment, they’ll still make the medal rounds though as I don’t see them losing to Iran or Czech who are there next opponents

The real embarrassing thing is Canada not even qualifying despite Wiggins and RJ Barrett and Lu Dort playing vs a team with 1 NBA player.

• Upvote 3

Watched the women's softball team lose 1-0 to Japan in extras last night.

A stranded leadoff double in the middle innings is what killed TC. The next batter advanced her to third, on a nice piece of hitting, (groundout to first....essentially a sacrifice) but the next batter struck out, leaving the final batter having to get a hit, which she was unable to do.

TC is now 2-2 and although they have the weakest team in the tournament (Italy) in their final game, there is no playoff round. USA and Japan play later today in what will basically be a warmup for the gold medal game. (Both teams are at 4-0)

Canada should be in the Bronze medal game and will face the winner of Australia vs Mexico. Canada has beaten both teams in the round robin portion of the tournament.

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Watched the women's softball team lose 1-0 to Japan in extras last night.

A stranded leadoff double in the middle innings is what killed TC. The next batter advanced her to third, on a nice piece of hitting, (groundout to first....essentially a sacrifice) but the next batter struck out, leaving the final batter having to get a hit, which she was unable to do.

TC is now 2-2 and although they have the weakest team in the tournament (Italy) in their final game, there is no playoff round. USA and Japan play later today in what will basically be a warmup for the gold medal game. (Both teams are at 4-0)

Canada should be in the Bronze medal game and will face the winner of Australia vs Mexico. Canada has beaten both teams in the round robin portion of the tournament.

You're watching this stuff live? So hard to find the schedules for the sports that actually matter and filter out the rest.

If you have a link with viewing schedules for pacif time that would be helpful.

I like the Swimming, Diving, women's beach volleyball and the basketball, the soccer and track and field events the rest is just filler imo unless there is a true Canadian medal threat don't have the time,patience, or interest to particularly follow it...

1 hour ago, Mj2345 said:

USA Basketball with an embarrassment, they’ll still make the medal rounds though as I don’t see them losing to Iran or Czech who are there next opponents

Love it!  Arrogant friggin’ American NBA players aren’t as good as they think.  I hope they lose every game!  

26 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

You're watching this stuff live? So hard to find the schedules for the sports that actually matter and filter out the rest.

If you have a link with viewing schedules for pacif time that would be helpful.

I like the Swimming, Diving, women's beach volleyball and the basketball, the soccer and track and field events the rest is just filler imo unless there is a true Canadian medal threat don't have the time,patience, or interest to particularly follow it...

I actually don't Chip. Basically, it's a matter of flipping through the TSN and SNET channels between midnight and 1:00 am. Last night I was doing this and my options were mostly Bicycle road racing or gymnastics. Then, on one of the TSN channels, I stumbled across the softball game.

It was the same thing for the Womens soccer against Chile the other night. You have to do a bit of digging...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I actually don't Chip. Basically, it's a matter of flipping through the TSN and SNET channels between midnight and 1:00 am. Last night I was doing this and my options were mostly Bicycle road racing or gymnastics. Then, on one of the TSN channels, I stumbled across the softball game.

It was the same thing for the Womens soccer against Chile the other night. You have to do a bit of digging...

That sucks been trying online to find something live with the schedules NBC coverage or CBC live coverage. TSN and Sportsnet seem to just replay events at night.

2 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

That sucks been trying online to find something live with the schedules NBC coverage or CBC live coverage. TSN and Sportsnet seem to just replay events at night.

It might be different now that the games are in full swing, but NBC was behind by a day for a while.

While I was watching a water polo game between Canada and Australia on TSN, NBC was showing the opening ceremonies, which had taken place the day before.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Love it!  Arrogant friggin’ American NBA players aren’t as good as they think.  I hope they lose every game!  

They just kinda throw together the team and figure they’ll cruise but the other top teams been together longer. US missed 4 straight threes late in the game all in sequence after offensive boards, Lillard played like $&!# and KD had too many personal fouls so spent a lot of time on the bench…in Olympic basketball you foul out with 5 personal fouls as opposed to 6 in an NBA Game.

Edited by Mj2345

6 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

They just kinda throw together the team and figure they’ll cruise but the other top teams been together longer. US missed 4 straight threes late in the game all in sequence after offensive boards, Lillard played like $&!# and KD had too many personal fouls so spent a lot of time on the bench

Seems the international game is officiated differently as well. The basketball and rims are also different and less forgiving it seems.

16 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

They just kinda throw together the team and figure they’ll cruise but the other top teams been together longer. US missed 4 straight threes late in the game all in sequence after offensive boards, Lillard played like $&!# and KD had too many personal fouls so spent a lot of time on the bench…in Olympic basketball you foul out with 5 personal fouls as opposed to 6 in an NBA Game.

I do like KD.  He’s a throw back era player.  Still hope they collapse though.  It’s like watching the Leaf’s lose.  Makes me happy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BCNeil said:

PB to even qualify for lane 8.  PB again to win.  Huge upset.  

As someone formerly involved in swimming, lanes 1 and 8 could sometimes work with that outside water. My kids were however, in either lanes 4 or 5, lol!

Edited by johngould21

Was confused about ROC.  I thought it was Republic of China, which is the official name for Taiwan's government (established 1911). But now I figured it out. It stands for Russian Olympic Committee. 

Russian competitors were known as “Olympic Athletes from Russia” at the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

The Russian team flag in Tokyo and Beijing will be the ROC symbol—an Olympic flame in the white, blue and red stripes of the national flag above the five Olympic rings.

Gold medalists will get music by Russian composer Tchaikovsky instead of the country's national anthem :lol:

So if Canada plays Russia in hockey next Feb, it will be CAN v ROC.  Look forward to seeing those uniforms on Ovechiken or Kucherov. 

Edited by Jaimito

Typhoon expected mid-wk. Of course HAS to roll in now!

I just got back from some morning training. Missus says, "That typhoon is expected to land in Fukushima Prefecture."

..."Uhhhh hun..ain't that where we got THREE Chernobyls on the beach?!"

Are Olympic Greek Gods angry at Japan?! Can't make this stuff up. Nice timing. Just hope it's not a big one.

• Sad 1