The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tokyo Olympics

-DLC-

12 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Was confused about ROC.  I thought it was Republic of China, which is the official name for Taiwan's government (established 1911). But now I figured it out. It stands for Russian Olympic Committee. 

Russian competitors were known as “Olympic Athletes from Russia” at the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

The Russian team flag in Tokyo and Beijing will be the ROC symbol—an Olympic flame in the white, blue and red stripes of the national flag above the five Olympic rings.

Gold medalists will get music by Russian composer Tchaikovsky instead of the country's national anthem :lol:

So if Canada plays Russia in hockey next Feb, it will be CAN v ROC.  Look forward to seeing those uniforms on Ovechiken or Kucherov. 

The reason for the ROC? Numerous cases of doping, and the Russian Federation and their athletes were banned from Olympic competition. How do we know these athletes are "clean"? One of the many reasons the Olympics have lost their credibility imo.

Edited by johngould21
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

The reason for the ROC? Numerous cases of doping, and the Russian Federation and their athletes were banned from Olympic competition. How do we know these athletes are "clean"? One of the many reasons the Olympics have lost their credibility imo.

I know the reason. Just wasn't aware of the the new acronym for them. OAR then ROC.  What's next? 

21 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Seems the international game is officiated differently as well. The basketball and rims are also different and less forgiving it seems.

Pretty sure they call traveling in the International game....that has to mess up the NBA guys....

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, BCNeil said:

PB to even qualify for lane 8.  PB again to win.  Huge upset.  

Easily the feel good story of the Olympics so far....

Last night TSN showed a video of his family watching from home and it was absolute bedlam. Apparently, he didn't even have a track suit for the medal ceremony. Just showed up in shorts and a t-shirt....

Great story.

• Vintage 1

The girls are really doing it for Canada so far....

Meanwhile, Felix loses to an Aussie ranked around #190, who was only added to the Olympics because of an injury to Andy Murray....<_<

In women's softball, Canada beat Italy (as expected) 8-1, although the game was much tighter than the score indicated. The Italians scored their first run of the tournament, after an error at SS put runners on the corners for team Italy. The got a 2 out single to score their only run and the reaction from the players was like they had just won the whole thing....

On 7/25/2021 at 11:18 AM, Alflives said:

I do like KD.  He’s a throw back era player.  Still hope they collapse though.  It’s like watching the Leaf’s lose.  Makes me happy!

I wish Canada Men’s team was in these games 

29 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Me too. Really sucked that we had Murray and Gilgeous Alexander injured. That would’ve solidified our roster with Barrett, Dort, Powell, etc. There’s always a next time

20+ years since our last appearance at the Olympics it depresses me, we gotta make the next one..

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

US Women’s softball LOSE gold game to Japan!  :towel:

Our women win bronze!  :frantic:

Now that’s a great day of softball.  We win, and the US loses.

Didn't stay up to watch the US-Japan game, but I did watch Canada - Mexico. It wasn't an oil painting, but they executed perfectly on the winning run.....

• Vintage 1