The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tokyo Olympics

-DLC-

21 minutes ago, ForestFalcon said:

Watched the Canada - US volleyball game, was pretty good, nice comeback from Canada in second set, then took advantage of the US getting rattled from the failed challenge on that tight line call. Would be cool if we could have an all Canadian Semi-Final.

they gave the first set away with countless service errors.... clearly the better team - going to three sets was a flattering result for the Americans.

Nice to see Canada bettering the US in volleyball - we've collectively always been better than them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Ol' Donovan Bailey. I remember him whooping ass all the way back in 96. 

How about those Jamaican girl sprinters?  1,2,3 in the 100.  Winner breaks Flo Jo’s 1988 OR.  If those ladies can get the stick around the track their 4x100 is going to be so fast.  

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Seems like every other professional sport is in the Olympics whether it's summer or winter, the big ones Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, Golf even, but no Football.... I'm not even a big football fan, but seeing how all these other big sports have olympic events I'm surprised there is no football.

Two words - Tom Brady :emot-parrot:

• Haha 1

Pretty disappointing night for Team Canada.....DeGrasse finishes third in the 100m, Jennifer Abel finishes 8th in the 3m springboard, the Women's basketball team loses to Spain and now have to hope to qualify as one of the two best third place finishers, Erica Wiebe loses her opening match in women's wrestling, after winning Gold in Rio....

If it wasn't for the somewhat controversial Beach Volleyball win for Canada's Bansley and Wilkerson beating the #3 ranked Americans, Claes and Sponcil, the day would have been a complete wash. (BTW: the controversy really isn't all that controversial. The correct call of "out" was made, but according to NBC's Chris Marlowe, they officials pushed the wrong button....)

This will send a chill down your spine!

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/trackandfield/high-jumpers-share-win-tokyo-2020-1.6126182

Olympic high jumpers persuade organizers to let them share gold medal

Qatar's Mutaz Essa Barshim added Olympic gold to his list of accolades in the men's high jump in Tokyo on Sunday — and persuaded organizers to let him share it with his friend and rival, Italy's Gianmarco Tamberi.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1

Just now, gurn said:

As posted in other thread:

The above video is now SAVED in 2 locations on my computer.

It seems like a better world out there, now.

I'm honestly so glad. Everyone needs to see it. I was extremely moved by this moment.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Why is there no football(American) in the Olympics? Seems like every other professional sport is in the Olympics whether it's summer or winter, the big ones Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, Golf even, but no Football.... I'm not even a big football fan, but seeing how all these other big sports have olympic events I'm surprised there is no football.

Simple answer: It isn't played in enough countries to qualify as a global sport.

Same reason Aussie Rules Football and Hurling aren't Olympic sports.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Simple answer: It isn't played in enough countries to qualify as a global sport.

Same reason Aussie Rules Football and Hurling aren't Olympic sports.

Yeah I ended up googling it yesterday and read that, just didn't make sense to me but I guess if it's not popular enough around the world no point, not enough competition. I guess a little shocked it never went world wide like other sports have.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Pretty disappointing night for Team Canada.....DeGrasse finishes third in the 100m, Jennifer Abel finishes 8th in the 3m springboard, the Women's basketball team loses to Spain and now have to hope to qualify as one of the two best third place finishers, Erica Wiebe loses her opening match in women's wrestling, after winning Gold in Rio....

If it wasn't for the somewhat controversial Beach Volleyball win for Canada's Bansley and Wilkerson beating the #3 ranked Americans, Claes and Sponcil, the day would have been a complete wash. (BTW: the controversy really isn't all that controversial. The correct call of "out" was made, but according to NBC's Chris Marlowe, they officials pushed the wrong button....)

DeGrasse ran a personal best. No disappointment in that at all. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

DeGrasse ran a personal best. No disappointment in that at all. 

With the 100 dash, I'm never sure who won, until the lab samples are looked at. :(

Curse you Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and several hundred others.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Good thing Bolt is retired..

Andre doesn't even podium if he's around. 

52 minutes ago, gurn said:

Or Bolt doesn't make the finals.

Actually, the favorite going into the Olympics was an American named Trayvon Bromell. He didn't even make the final....it happens....(not to Bolt, of course, but it was wide open this time around)

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I didn't mean I was disappointed with him. It's disappointing that it wasn't good enough for gold....

Eh ... the results are what they are. Andre ran his best competitive time ever and seemed very pleased. That's a win every day of the week. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

With the 100 dash, I'm never sure who won, until the lab samples are looked at. :(

Curse you Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and several hundred others.

Self-aggrandizement at the expense of all else. Athletes who desicrate what they claim to love deserve no quarter. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1