The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tokyo Olympics

-DLC-

On 7/29/2021 at 7:11 PM, AV's Coin said:

Oleksiak 4th by 7 hundreths.

Once again she closed the best but was too far behind. Long and slow stroke - pure power at the end.

If she picked up her turnover she could be unbeatable maybe?

She admitted she lost water on the turn, which Byron MacDonald mentioned too. Hell of a field in that final. 4th by .07 shows how close that competition in the pool was. Barely out touched, and one hell of an Olympics for her. 3 more years of competition, will she be good to go? Canada hopes so.

Edited by johngould21
  • Vintage 1

Why is there no football(American) in the Olympics? Seems like every other professional sport is in the Olympics whether it's summer or winter, the big ones Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, Golf even, but no Football.... I'm not even a big football fan, but seeing how all these other big sports have olympic events I'm surprised there is no football.

22 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Why is there no football(American) in the Olympics? Seems like every other professional sport is in the Olympics whether it's summer or winter, the big ones Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, Golf even, but no Football.... I'm not even a big football fan, but seeing how all these other big sports have olympic events I'm surprised there is no football.

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

'cause it's American?  :blink:

13 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well if I said football only everyone would say it's already in the Olympics because it is, I'd rather watch American football then Rugby just saying.

First off, it's not widely played outside of North America; secondly, because of the first point, there is no international federation governing "American-style football" on a global level; thirdly, because the second point, no national olympic committee has suggested it to the (corrupt) IOC as a possible sport for competition at a summer games; and because of all of the above, it hasn't even shown up as a demonstration sport at the games.  Will it appear at the Los Angeles games coming up?  Unlikely, because of the first two points, but stranger things have happened, especially with an organization as corrupt as the IOC.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:24 PM, AV's Coin said:

also if you go here you can watch some old matches for free or pay for live ones

https://www.volleyballworld.tv/home

I'm trying to watch the beach game - but I've never been drawn to it (aside from the beautiful women - and I was a player, so...I like volleyball girls)...

I'm interested in your thoughts on the beach game - which for me is just too indefensible.  

Simply too easy to find so much space - court is too large for two players, and footing is loose/slower = too few rallies - far too easy to kill - for me it's like watching tennis when you have a couple 6'8" servers who blast away (usually with one dimensional baseline games to go with that) - endless short rallies - incredibly boring.

I think the beach game needs to change - needs to be a three player game - that way you could actually defend the court - I think it would be a lot more interesting (you might also get a bit more variation in the type(s) of players that could be successful at the beach game).

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm trying to watch the beach game - but I've never been drawn to it (aside from the beautiful women - and I was a player, so...I like volleyball girls)...

I'm interested in your thoughts on the beach game - which for me is just too indefensible.  

Simply too easy to find so much space - court is too large for two players, and footing is loose/slower = too few rallies - far too easy to kill - for me it's like watching tennis when you have a couple 6'8" servers who blast away (usually with one dimensional baseline games to go with that) - endless short rallies - incredibly boring.

I think the beach game needs to change - needs to be a three player game - that way you could actually defend the court - I think it would be a lot more interesting (you might also get a bit more variation in the type(s) of players that could be successful at the beach game).

Make a 4-some, double the "beautiful women" factor... :bigblush:

31 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Make a 4-some, double the "beautiful women" factor... :bigblush:

Bansley/Wilkerson just beat a U.S. team to move on the the quarterfinals. Works for me ... I have no problem with Brandi Wilkerson filling up my TV screen. Beautiful girl. 

21 minutes ago, ForestFalcon said:

Watched the Canada - US volleyball game, was pretty good, nice comeback from Canada in second set, then took advantage of the US getting rattled from the failed challenge on that tight line call. Would be cool if we could have an all Canadian Semi-Final.

they gave the first set away with countless service errors.... clearly the better team - going to three sets was a flattering result for the Americans.

Nice to see Canada bettering the US in volleyball - we've collectively always been better than them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Ol' Donovan Bailey. I remember him whooping ass all the way back in 96. 

How about those Jamaican girl sprinters?  1,2,3 in the 100.  Winner breaks Flo Jo’s 1988 OR.  If those ladies can get the stick around the track their 4x100 is going to be so fast.  

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Seems like every other professional sport is in the Olympics whether it's summer or winter, the big ones Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, Golf even, but no Football.... I'm not even a big football fan, but seeing how all these other big sports have olympic events I'm surprised there is no football.

Two words - Tom Brady :emot-parrot:

• Haha 1

Pretty disappointing night for Team Canada.....DeGrasse finishes third in the 100m, Jennifer Abel finishes 8th in the 3m springboard, the Women's basketball team loses to Spain and now have to hope to qualify as one of the two best third place finishers, Erica Wiebe loses her opening match in women's wrestling, after winning Gold in Rio....

If it wasn't for the somewhat controversial Beach Volleyball win for Canada's Bansley and Wilkerson beating the #3 ranked Americans, Claes and Sponcil, the day would have been a complete wash. (BTW: the controversy really isn't all that controversial. The correct call of "out" was made, but according to NBC's Chris Marlowe, they officials pushed the wrong button....)

This will send a chill down your spine!

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/trackandfield/high-jumpers-share-win-tokyo-2020-1.6126182

Olympic high jumpers persuade organizers to let them share gold medal

Qatar's Mutaz Essa Barshim added Olympic gold to his list of accolades in the men's high jump in Tokyo on Sunday — and persuaded organizers to let him share it with his friend and rival, Italy's Gianmarco Tamberi.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1