Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tokyo Olympics


-DLC-
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, gurn said:

As posted in other thread:

 

The above video is now SAVED in 2 locations on my computer.

 

It seems like a better world out there, now.

I'm honestly so glad. Everyone needs to see it. I was extremely moved by this moment.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Why is there no football(American) in the Olympics? Seems like every other professional sport is in the Olympics whether it's summer or winter, the big ones Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, Golf even, but no Football.... I'm not even a big football fan, but seeing how all these other big sports have olympic events I'm surprised there is no football.

Simple answer: It isn't played in enough countries to qualify as a global sport.

 

Same reason Aussie Rules Football and Hurling aren't Olympic sports.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Simple answer: It isn't played in enough countries to qualify as a global sport.

 

Same reason Aussie Rules Football and Hurling aren't Olympic sports.

Yeah I ended up googling it yesterday and read that, just didn't make sense to me but I guess if it's not popular enough around the world no point, not enough competition. I guess a little shocked it never went world wide like other sports have.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Pretty disappointing night for Team Canada.....DeGrasse finishes third in the 100m, Jennifer Abel finishes 8th in the 3m springboard, the Women's basketball team loses to Spain and now have to hope to qualify as one of the two best third place finishers, Erica Wiebe loses her opening match in women's wrestling, after winning Gold in Rio....

 

If it wasn't for the somewhat controversial Beach Volleyball win for Canada's Bansley and Wilkerson beating the #3 ranked Americans, Claes and Sponcil, the day would have been a complete wash. (BTW: the controversy really isn't all that controversial. The correct call of "out" was made, but according to NBC's Chris Marlowe, they officials pushed the wrong button....)

DeGrasse ran a personal best. No disappointment in that at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

DeGrasse ran a personal best. No disappointment in that at all. 

With the 100 dash, I'm never sure who won, until the lab samples are looked at. :(

Curse you Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and several hundred others.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Good thing Bolt is retired..

Andre doesn't even podium if he's around. 

 

52 minutes ago, gurn said:

Or Bolt doesn't make the finals.

Actually, the favorite going into the Olympics was an American named Trayvon Bromell. He didn't even make the final....it happens....(not to Bolt, of course, but it was wide open this time around)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I didn't mean I was disappointed with him. It's disappointing that it wasn't good enough for gold....

Eh ... the results are what they are. Andre ran his best competitive time ever and seemed very pleased. That's a win every day of the week. 

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gurn said:

With the 100 dash, I'm never sure who won, until the lab samples are looked at. :(

Curse you Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and several hundred others.

Self-aggrandizement at the expense of all else. Athletes who desicrate what they claim to love deserve no quarter. 

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm trying to watch the beach game - but I've never been drawn to it (aside from the beautiful women - and I was a player, so...I like volleyball girls)...

 

I'm interested in your thoughts on the beach game - which for me is just too indefensible.  

Simply too easy to find so much space - court is too large for two players, and footing is loose/slower = too few rallies - far too easy to kill - for me it's like watching tennis when you have a couple 6'8" servers who blast away (usually with one dimensional baseline games to go with that) - endless short rallies - incredibly boring.

 

I think the beach game needs to change - needs to be a three player game - that way you could actually defend the court - I think it would be a lot more interesting (you might also get a bit more variation in the type(s) of players that could be successful at the beach game).

100% agree - was just telling some other folks there is no comparison imo between indoor and beach volleyball. The games play totally different.

 

Beach is slower, less explosive, shorter rallies - but the visuals are nice.

 

I have not been inclined to watch any Beach volleyball for years - since the Sinjin Smith, Randy Stoklos days - well maybe Karch Kirally and whoever his partner was?

 

3x3 Beach would be interesting - what about 3x3 on grass? I'm guessing more recreation players play 3x3 on grass than pairs on sand so their would be some familiarity to that game.

 

whether on grass or sand, 3x3 would show some varying defensive strategies and attacking plays. Two person blocks - one back? Combination attacks?

 

Couple weeks ago I was watching the NCAA Indoor championships over the last few years on youtube and was receiving video recommendations with some of those players from Hawaii and UCLA for a 3x3 tourney. Good stuff for two setters and a libero Ma'a and Worsley brothers.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 7:16 AM, Ilunga said:

Let's get real here what's more important a sporting event or peoples lives ? 

 

Over 15,000 people have died in Japan since the pandemic began most of them this year.

 

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-22/tokyo-olympics-highest-coronavirus-cases-reported-in-six-months/100316434

 

Here in my state/ province we are in our 5th total shutdown since the pandemic began and it started on the back of 15- 20 cases of Covid.

It's unfortunate what is happening in Japan.  But from what I've read it seems the current spike of cases is completely unrelated to the olympics.  The Olympians are probably the most tested group of people in the most secure bubble, (however porous it might be) of any community in Japan.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Good thing Bolt is retired..

Andre doesn't even podium if he's around. 

I mean, Usain Bolt had a season best time of 9.95 the year he retired in 2017.  So I'm not really sure how you expect him to beat DeGrasse's 9.89 4 years later at age 34.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Coda said:

It's unfortunate what is happening in Japan.  But from what I've read it seems the current spike of cases is completely unrelated to the olympics.  The Olympians are probably the most tested group of people in the most secure bubble, (however porous it might be) of any community in Japan.  

 

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/29/world/asia/tokyo-olympics-covid.html

 

 

We have shutdown the east coast of Australia on a fraction of those numbers.

 

However the premier of Queensland shutdown the state then headed off to the Olympics after she was ordered to leave her room in Tokyo and attend the opening ceremony by John Coates 

 

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-22/qld-premier-ordered-to-attend-tokyo-2020-opening-ceremony/100313366

 

These IOC people don't gives a rat's arse about anyone but themselves.

 

I am sick of hearing about athletes that train just for this and might miss out.

 

What about the 89 year old guy that didn't get to ski for the first time in 80 years last year when not just out ski-fields but our mountains were locked out from us.

For me it was the first time in 40 years I couldn't do the thing I love the most.

I know hundreds of people who missed out just like me.

 

We sucked it up and did what was best for our society and the world,unlike these guys 

 

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

 

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/29/world/asia/tokyo-olympics-covid.html

 

 

We have shutdown the east coast of Australia on a fraction of those numbers.

 

However the premier of Queensland shutdown the state then headed off to the Olympics after she was ordered to leave her room in Tokyo and attend the opening ceremony by John Coates 

 

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-22/qld-premier-ordered-to-attend-tokyo-2020-opening-ceremony/100313366

 

These IOC people don't gives a rat's arse about anyone but themselves.

 

I am sick of hearing about athletes that train just for this and might miss out.

 

What about the 89 year old guy that didn't get to ski for the first time in 80 years last year when not just out ski-fields but our mountains were locked out from us.

For me it was the first time in 40 years I couldn't do the thing I love the most.

I know hundreds of people who missed out just like me.

 

We sucked it up and did what was best for our society and the world,unlike these guys 

 

A friend of ours that lives in Yokohama, said she's very disappointed that they went ahead with the Olympics. She isn't getting her first vaccination until sometime this month, and she's close to 50 years old. A first world country being that far behind the rest of the Group of 7. Not the Canadian painters, you folks know who I mean, it's early.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

A friend of ours that lives in Yokohama, said she's very disappointed that they went ahead with the Olympics. She isn't getting her first vaccination until sometime this month, and she's close to 50 years old. A first world country being that far behind the rest of the Group of 7. Not the Canadian painters, you folks know who I mean, it's early.

 

Our country has managed to contain the virus through strict lockdowns at a state level however at a federal level they have bungled both the vaccine rollout, quarantine and put pressure on the states to open up.

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-24/australia-covid-vaccine-rollout-what-went-wrong/100151396

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...