The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Jack Rathbone, Brogan Rafferty, Ashton Sautner

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Davathor said:

No you don't get it, cuz rathBONE

so its BONEr time, like his name, right??

More fitting response to that gibberish would’ve been “go Wrath Bone yourself”

feel free to use that one anytime 

Let's hope there is no long term effects for Hughes and company. Some of our guys who got hit hard with covid might get shut down for the year. Focus on getting back to 100%.

Just like Petey. Get ready for next year.

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yea. Whatever happened to Chatfield...

In the off-season Benning compared Chatfield to a hybrid Tanev/Stecher.  They had to give him an opportunity to see if that was indeed the case.  

Chatfield is on the NHL roster so if he is able to play he will have priority over Rafferty and Sautner.  Rafferty/Sautner can only play if one of the roster Ds can’t go as long as they are up on emergency basis.  There are only 4 regular recalls after the TDL.

Both Chatfield and Rafferty are UFAs at the end of the season.  As Rafferty only got 1 game so far not sure he’ll be all that keen to re-up with the Canucks.

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Surely Hughes is done for a lot of the season then and rightly so, shut him down, give Rathbone and Juolevi a decent chance.

Bowey might end up playing top-4 minutes in the end...

I read he lost a lot of weight. I would definitely shut him down. He can rehab and get ready for Oct. When we stsrt with a clean slate.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I read he lost a lot of weight. I would definitely shut him down. He can rehab and get ready for Oct. When we stsrt with a clean slate.

Debatable.  Next season may very well look like this season.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, mll said:

In the off-season Benning compared Chatfield to a hybrid Tanev/Stecher.  

which was an awful take imo. Chatfiled is an example of how Jim often seems to get it wrong on pro-scouting. Or whoever Is giving him advice on pro-scouting in the organization. 

4 hours ago, mll said:

They had to give him an opportunity to see if that was indeed the case.  

Chatfield is on the NHL roster so if he is able to play he will have priority over Rafferty and Sautner.  Rafferty/Sautner can only play if one of the roster Ds can’t go as long as they are up on emergency basis.  There are only 4 regular recalls after the TDL.

Both Chatfield and Rafferty are UFAs at the end of the season.  As Rafferty only got 1 game so far not sure he’ll be all that keen to re-up with the Canucks.

Chatfield can be put on waivers, no? I don't think there's any risk of him being taken. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

which was an awful take imo. Chatfiled is an example of how Jim often seems to get it wrong on pro-scouting. Or whoever Is giving him advice on pro-scouting in the organization. 

I would assume it was a play style, not 'ceiling' comparison. I don't think anyone in the management thinks he's more than bottom pair potential.

And it's not like he's a finished product, he's only played a whopping 10 NHL games :lol: He skates well, battles well... Heck, he even played pretty well (for bottom pair/spare D expectations) for most of those 10 games.

You seem to have some irrational hate for the poor guy lol

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I would assume it was a play style, not 'ceiling' comparison. I don't think anyone in the management thinks he's more than bottom pair potential.

And it's not like he's a finished product, he's only played a whopping 10 NHL games :lol: He skates well, battles well... Heck, he even played pretty well (fort bottom pair/spare D expectations) for most of those 10 games.

You seem to have some irrational hate for the poor guy lol

maybe, but I don't think so. I see a guy who makes bad decisions and honesty brings nothing special on any front. Sure he can skate. He's our defensive Emerson Etem. 

I mean, he was bad playing with Edler. 

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Chatfield can be put on waivers, no? I don't think there's any risk of him being taken. 

If a team picks him up they can’t use him in the post-season.  He’s an upcoming UFA so maybe a team not making the playoffs takes a look for next season, like Vancouver are doing with Vesey and Boyd.

Edited by mll

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe, but I don't think so. I see a guy who makes bad decisions and honesty brings nothing special on any front. Sure he can skate. He's our defensive Emerson Etem. 

I agree with agent though, I think it was more of a style comparison than it was a projection and an answer to a direct question.  I highly doubt JB thinks he's more than a filler

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Edler plays some of the hardest minutes on the team.

A kid with less than ten, NHL games and a bottom pair ceiling, playing beside him, on team that was playing like a tire fire, didn't look like the second coming of Pronger you say...

Obama-Tell-me-More-meme.jpg

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree with agent though, I think it was more of a style comparison than it was a projection and an answer to a direct question.  I highly doubt JB thinks he's more than a filler

could be, but I got the impression they thought he'd be a serviceable Stecher replacement from his comments. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Edler plays some of the hardest minutes on the team.

A kid with less than ten, NHL games and a bottom pair ceiling, playing beside him, on team that was playing like a tire fire, didn't look like the second coming of Pronger you say...

Obama-Tell-me-More-meme.jpg

okay okay, I get it :lol: I just think the guys no bueno. I could be jumping the gun, but I don't think so. 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

okay okay, I get it :lol: I just think the guys no bueno. I could be jumping the gun, but I don't think so. 

Team will need cheap 7-8 D that can drop in and play 20 games a season for injuries etc when we're contending. A developing, bottom pair/spare level, Stecher/Tanev hybrid play style guy may not be super exciting in the present, but we'll need guys like that in a couple years. 

17 hours ago, Trebreh said:

I had such high hopes for Rafferty, but the coaching staff sent him packing after one bad game.. meanwhile Chatfield got so many opportunities and was only taken out of the lineup when Hamonic was ready.

I hope we see a Rathbone - Juolevi pairing. B)

Rathbone plays the left side too.   We could see a Rathbone Rafferty pairing which would be interesting.   Both guys have been predicted to stick at some point.   Wondered at the time, if the team was trying to get Chatter enough games for the ED, for sure his two worst games were equally poor.   Also wonder if the team is trying to hide Rafferty in the weeds by not playing him.    Regardless with Schmidt not ready, and JV not ready for Sunday's game, and QHs suspect (and now Demko ugh ).... there won't be any choice but to play some of these guys.    

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Rathbone plays the left side too.   We could see a Rathbone Rafferty pairing which would be interesting.   Both guys have been predicted to stick at some point.   Wondered at the time, if the team was trying to get Chatter enough games for the ED, for sure his two worst games were equally poor.   Also wonder if the team is trying to hide Rafferty in the weeds by not playing him.    Regardless with Schmidt not ready, and JV not ready for Sunday's game, and QHs suspect (and now Demko ugh ).... there won't be any choice but to play some of these guys.    

Rafferty is an upcoming UFA.  He might not want to re-sign with a team that is not playing him.

• RoughGame 1

19 hours ago, Provost said:

I think it is really important to keep in mind, this is the weakest the AHL has ever been so play this year is not really indicative of improvement.

Take out 4-6 guys from the AHL to be sitting on each taxi squad and you have taken most of the best 125-175 players out of the AHL.. and filled in the empty slots with ECHL level guys.

Correct.   The AHL quality in general has taken a pretty big hit, teams are leaving their guys in the College circuit more (which has drastically improved the last five years), and the Euro/KHL systems also have kept some talent out too.   When the KHL was formed the AHL was at its peak powers since expansion (pre-expansion the AHL was crazy good hockey, Bower is a perfect example of that) and had a lot of NHL high level talent too .... now it's got a cap of around 1.5 US, and is loaded with guys like Vey instead of Kovi, Jagr etc...you make a good point.   Still reports are Rathbone Woo tandem has done well, Lind and Gads too.     It's not a bad developmental thing for these guys either, get to play more important roles, more minutes and more confidence.   It's still a great league and fun hockey.    And has one thing the NHL no longer has,  a few dinosaur enforcers.    Couldn't hurt for the guys to be around that either. 

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Rafferty is an upcoming UFA.  He might not want to re-sign with a team that is not playing him.

True.   Seattle will have a half dozen possible tweener choices from us, and about the same with more proven but aging vets.   Rafferty for sure is on their radar, him being a UFA also in a way protects him which is another minor detail into how JB has planned for the ED.   If we sign him before and doesn't protect him for example.    Only one game to me is a little suspicious,  Button was convinced a year ago he was ready for top four NHL duty over a year ago.   He makes mistakes but is more often right then wrong.