The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Jack Rathbone, Brogan Rafferty, Ashton Sautner

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

57 minutes ago, mll said:

Rafferty is an upcoming UFA.  He might not want to re-sign with a team that is not playing him.

Thats what I fear. Clearly he has the skills as he was an all star in his first AHL season, but Its bizarre that the coaching staff wouldn't give him a longer look. 

I hope that now we are missing guys that he actually gets to play meaningful minutes.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

True.   Seattle will have a half dozen possible tweener choices from us, and about the same with more proven but aging vets.   Rafferty for sure is on their radar, him being a UFA also in a way protects him which is another minor detail into how JB has planned for the ED.   If we sign him before and doesn't protect him for example.    Only one game to me is a little suspicious,  Button was convinced a year ago he was ready for top four NHL duty over a year ago.   He makes mistakes but is more often right then wrong. 

Seattle will have 72 hours to talk to all RFAs and UFAs left unprotected.  They can agree on a contract and he will be the player they pick for that team.  They can also agree to continue discussions in free agency and select someone else or still pick the player.  They only have to pick 20 players under contract for next season.

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Seattle will have 72 hours to talk to all RFAs and UFAs left unprotected.  They can agree on a contract and he will be the player they pick for that team.  They can also agree to continue discussions in free agency and select someone else or still pick the player.  They only have to pick 20 players under contract for next season.

Yep, same with Edler or any other UFA, doubt Seattle wastes a pick on anyone on any team that's not a guarantee, but you never know.   If Vancouver re-signs him then there isn't a risk, which was kind of the point with Rafferty, but not signing him he's more protected.   Any UFAs used as a pick, can simply go to free agency after and go with the highest bidder if they choose to, they won't be bonded to Seattle no matter what is said during the 3 day window.   They can verbally agree and change their minds.  It's pretty much expected that Seattle won't risk getting an asset by picking a UFA, not that it can't or won't happen though, just not expected.   A lot of team did this to artificially add to their protection list, including JB with Edler. 

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

Thats what I fear. Clearly he has the skills as he was an all star in his first AHL season, but Its bizarre that the coaching staff wouldn't give him a longer look. 

I hope that now we are missing guys that he actually gets to play meaningful minutes.

It's possibly a purposeful action.   Rafferty isn't attractive without a deal.   Doesn't mean Seattle won't pick him, but with guaranteed assets on the table it's a risky proposition picking a player who can just go anywhere soon after, does Rafferty have that much upside?.   It's also risky for Vancouver, but who knows what's going on behind closed doors, there's no indication he's unhappy though.   Would be nice to see a different player go given RHDs are hard to find.     Point is if we want to keep him, we'd have to protect him, we can't do that with who's ahead on the depth chart.    It's also why i think JB hasn't bothered bolstering our D this year and stopped at with Myers during his free agency spree (stopped with D's).   Schmidt, Myers and OJ for sure take priority. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Huggy Bear 1

45 minutes ago, mll said:

not much risk of that for the Canucks. It'll be interesting to see if they do that with other teams tho.

I think Benning will try to move Jake one more time at the draft, otherwise he'll be exposed. 

On 4/16/2021 at 11:51 AM, Aladeen said:

It's Boner Time! ®

® All Right's Reserved. "It's Boner Time!" is a registered trademark of Aladeen Heavy Industries LL Corp. and It's use is reserved solely for the use of Aladeen Heavy Industries LL Corp. it's subsidiaries, affiliates and partners. Any use of "It's Boner Time!" is forbidden in any form without direct permission from Aladeen Heavy Industries LL Corp. 

jake+gyllenhaal+boner.gif

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 11:51 AM, Bertuzzipunch said:

Just need to call up gadjovich now. Hes too good for AHL

I'd leave Gadjovich unless they actually plan on giving him more than token minutes imo. He looks to be in a groove getting good minutes over in Utica, he may be better served playing those minutes. 

It's also worth noting that the present AHL isn't indicative of the usual AHL caliber of hockey and framing his performance through that lens. Same goes for Rathbone, though clearly both are good prospects.