The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jets re-sign Adam Lowry

8 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If he were a Canuck the stats below would be all the snivellers would take into account, totally ignoring the role he plays.

image.png.81de43b5740e51a623d85c7f54c7d21d.png

Never mind. I understand what you're saying now. Yes. All people will do is nitpick the crap out of our players, while ignoring the reality outside of their own team. There is this pervasive confirmation bias that seems to push this fanbase into thinking they are victims.

NO, the 3.25 signing is not a rip off for Vancouver.

Edited by Dazzle

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Man this thread is HILARIOUS. People are always looking to crap on the Pearson deal when such a position doesn't make any sense.

First off, guy is a center, not a winger, so Pearson and Lowry aren't equivalent there. But if we're looking at points, Pearson outscores Lowry quite a bit, in spite of being roughly the same age.

https://www.nhl.com/player/adam-lowry-8476392

Lowry has 65 goals, 78 assists = 143 points in 452 games.

This season, he had 8 goals 12 assists = 20 points in 44 games. It wasn't really a standout year compared to his other years.

Pearson has 114 goals, 112 assists = 226 points in 490 games.

Pearson had a pretty bad season. 6 goals, 5 assists = 11 points in 33 games.

So no, @250Integra Lowry is not better than Pearson. The thing that Lowry has going for him is that he's a center who happens to win a decent amount of faceoffs. Aside from that, they have different roles, with Pearson being a significantly higher scorer.

3.25 is arguably an overpayment, or at the very least an average signing for Lowry, but of course no one else is going to mention that. We'll just have to keep going on the bash Pearson bandwagon for no reason, right?

People need to take things into perspective, instead of just looking to confirm a bias that is present on these boards.

It's not always about the stats. With the Lowry and Pearson comparison, its more about the intangibles that each person brings. There are not that many solid 3rd line centers in the league that are good at faceoffs, hits HARD, and has a mean streak. Tanner Pearson would be a 3rd line winger on most teams, and he's slightly overpaid for a guy that is trending the wrong direction.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

23 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

It's not always about the stats. With the Lowry and Pearson comparison, its more about the intangibles that each person brings. There are not that many solid 3rd line centers in the league that are good at faceoffs, hits HARD, and has a mean streak. Tanner Pearson would be a 3rd line winger on most teams, and he's slightly overpaid for a guy that is trending the wrong direction.

You can't really make those statements without looking at the stats.

If Pearson's a third line winger (personal thought: I disagree heavily on that), as you say, 3.25 is the exact amount that Lowry is being paid, who is obviously a 3rd line center. That refutes your point that Pearson is 'overpaid'. Rather, that validates what I have been saying: Pearson's contract is NOT an overpayment. In other words, Pearson's contract doesn't stand out in a good or bad way. On the other hand, Pearson clearly has more offense to his game. Your comment that "it's not about the stats" is a downright lazy excuse of ignoring evidence that doesn't support what you're trying to push.

Furthermore, you keep saying he (Pearson) is 'trending' the wrong direction. Have you even looked at the stats of Lowry? You make the above lazy claim, but the stats from last year DO NOT reflect Lowry significantly improving nor declining from previous years. 3.25 is pretty average of a signing. Neither a good nor bad deal. Only CDC will fawn over another team's signing and think it is a 'good deal', as opposed to their own team. Such a victim complex is so damaging to our sense of reasoning.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1

Nice signing for the Peg. I think they are turning the corner on their season. I have been watching them closely and see them as the best bet to beat the Leafs. Leafs have had their number but the last game the Jets looked great and looked to gain some confidence against the Leafs. Go Jets. One of the few other teams I can cheer. Classy fans that share the Canadian "no cup" grief.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Dang, Lowry and Laughton are both gone.  We might need to sign Zajac or someone else for cheap unless Lind can step in and prove he's ready for the 3rd C.

If it wasn't barren enough already, with Gaudette gone I wonder if we have a frontrunner for that role (can't imagine more years with Sutter).

Edited by Phil_314