The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jets re-sign Adam Lowry

Just now, Coconuts said:

I mean, even before you get into numbers, ect you're comparing a 3c to a middle 6 winger.. 

I'd be comparing Lowry to Sutter, or other potential 3c options before I compared him to Pearson 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sutter back on a cheaper, short-term deal tbh 

He's a known quantity, and should have at least a couple years left, dude just turned 32 

I think if Sutter took a pretty big pay cut at 2.5 or 3 million, i think he's still a reasonably decent player.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

I think if Sutter took a pretty big pay cut at 2.5 or 3 million, i think he's still a reasonably decent player.

I'd give him a couple years in that bracket, teams are retaining their 3'cs by the looks of it and we're better off not being caught without a dance partner 

Retain Sutter, continue to groom Lind at the NHL level 

If you can upgrade on Sutter, that's fine too, but I'm not keen on someone who hasn't proven the ability to eat tough minutes as a 3c 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd give him a couple years in that bracket, teams are retaining their 3'cs by the looks of it and we're better off not being caught without a dance partner 

If you can upgrade on Sutter, that's fine too, but I'm not keen on someone who hasn't proven the ability to eat tough minutes as a 3c 

yeah people thought guads could do it lol, i really hope we can re-sign sutter for cheap.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, TNucks1 said:

yeah people thought guads could do it lol, i really hope we can re-sign sutter for cheap.

I'll be very surprised if he's not retained 

He's a known quantity, he knows the guys and vice versa, he's good in the room, and he works hard

He's already settled here too, wouldn't have to uproot his family for what could be his last NHL contract 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dance partners are overrated

Dance Party Dancing GIF by Neighbours (Official TV Show account)

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Not saying Sutter isn't decent, but begs the question of who we'll have to play with him to make the line work as a unit.
This season it's been lacking cohesion, and unless Podkolzin's going to have to be the playmaker for his line as a rookie or Hoglander bumps down while Podz takes 2nd line, I'm not sure who's got the skills to help create offense for the 3rd line (and we can't have 2 scoring lines and 2 energy lines, with one "energy" line not really excelling at anything).  If Roussel - Sutter - Podkolzin can gel well I would be very happy.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Not saying Sutter isn't decent, but begs the question of who we'll have to play with him to make the line work as a unit.
This season it's been lacking cohesion, and unless Podkolzin's going to have to be the playmaker for his line as a rookie or Hoglander bumps down while Podz takes 2nd line, I'm not sure who's got the skills to help create offense for the 3rd line (and we can't have 2 scoring lines and 2 energy lines, with one "energy" line not really excelling at anything).  If Roussel - Sutter - Podkolzin can gel well I would be very happy.

I agree with you. The third line is definitely lacking the zip factor that you talk about. Motte is good, but we need more of these energy guys. Roussel was supposed to bring lots of hustle, but unfortunately, he's underperformed. I don't know if there are any players available for the 3C position that would actually be an upgrade to Sutter, at approximately 3M.

JB set the bar high with the Pearson deal and it looks like other teams are basing deals off that. Lowry doesn't produce much offence (although he is this year) but is a solid, big strong 3rd line rock for the Jets. You could argue he's pretty similar to Pearson, but is about to enter his best years whereas Pearson is leaving his.

I expect Sutter will be re-signed. Thats fine as long as its short term (like 1 year or max 2 with a lesser cap hit for the security) with no trade protection/expansion guarantee at all in the contract. They have to plan for eventually trading him or having him center the 4th line.

As long as we don't see a 3 or 4 year @ 3.5 mil with trade protection type deal he would be ok to keep.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I expect Sutter will be re-signed. Thats fine as long as its short term (like 1 year or max 2 with a lesser cap hit for the security) with no trade protection/expansion guarantee at all in the contract. They have to plan for eventually trading him or having him center the 4th line.

As long as we don't see a 3 or 4 year @ 3.5 mil with trade protection type deal he would be ok to keep.

I like Sutter when he's healthy, but thats the problem, he's not healthy that often. He can't be the #1 plan for 3C moving forward. 

I'm bummed, I was really hoping we'd get a chance to compete for Lowry. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

IMO, you run that line as a '3rd' matchup line and then have a sheltered, 'offensive' 4th 'kid' line.

Something like lines 1-3 (un-sheltered):

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Podkolzin/Hoglander

Roussel/MacEwan, Sutter, Motte

Line 4 (sheltered, offensive usage)

Highmore, Lind/Jasek, Podkolzin/Hoglander

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

JB set the bar high with the Pearson deal and it looks like other teams are basing deals off that. Lowry doesn't produce much offence (although he is this year) but is a solid, big strong 3rd line rock for the Jets. You could argue he's pretty similar to Pearson, but is about to enter his best years whereas Pearson is leaving his.

Jesus CDC...'set the bar high' with a league average salary :picard: And they're basically the same bloody age... 'entering/exiting best years' :picard:

I know what your poorly reasoned post was clearly 'exiting', and it starts with post and ends with erior.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Man this thread is HILARIOUS. People are always looking to crap on the Pearson deal when such a position doesn't make any sense.

First off, guy is a center, not a winger, so Pearson and Lowry aren't equivalent there. But if we're looking at points, Pearson outscores Lowry quite a bit, in spite of being roughly the same age.

https://www.nhl.com/player/adam-lowry-8476392

Lowry has 65 goals, 78 assists = 143 points in 452 games.

This season, he had 8 goals 12 assists = 20 points in 44 games. It wasn't really a standout year compared to his other years.

Pearson has 114 goals, 112 assists = 226 points in 490 games.

Pearson had a pretty bad season. 6 goals, 5 assists = 11 points in 33 games.

So no, @250Integra Lowry is not better than Pearson. The thing that Lowry has going for him is that he's a center who happens to win a decent amount of faceoffs. Aside from that, they have different roles, with Pearson being a significantly higher scorer.

3.25 is arguably an overpayment, or at the very least an average signing for Lowry, but of course no one else is going to mention that. We'll just have to keep going on the bash Pearson bandwagon for no reason, right?

People need to take things into perspective, instead of just looking to confirm a bias that is present on these boards.

Get out and watch some hockey if you think 3.25 mil for Lowry is overpaid lmao. 

Are you really slamming the books at a 3C that Pearson scores more than him, lol. What does Pearson do exactly? He is sloted in the 2nd LW and gets to easily pot up points; he even gets powerplay time. Think of all the different assignments Lowry gets every game as 3C vs the opposition. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Get out and watch some hockey if you think 3.25 mil for Lowry is overpaid lmao. 

Are you really slamming the books at a 3C that Pearson scores more than him, lol. What does Pearson do exactly? He is sloted in the 2nd LW and gets to easily pot up points; he even gets powerplay time. Think of all the different assignments Lowry gets every game as 3C vs the opposition. 

You missed the point.

Is Pearson a third line winger or a second line winger who apparently gets 'gifted' goals? Seems like you'll move him up or down the lineup when making criticisms about him, which is disingenuous.

If he is a 2nd line winger, he is paid 3.25. Not unreasonable.

Lowry as I said does different things than Pearson, so if they were to be on the same line hypothetically, Pearson's 3.25 isn't unreasonable, given that Pearson undeniably has had significantly better offence when comparing the two players' careers.

There's this reoccuring myth that you guys like to use when bashing Pearson's contract, that he's somehow 'declining'. It's just funny to see you display your confirmation bias. You want Pearson to be so demonized that you'll omit evidence that doesn't support your points.

Very dishonest analysis by you.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1