The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canuck prospect/newcomer are you most excited to see this year?

Rate this topic

fanfor42

Which Canucks prospect are you most looking forward to seeing?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Return to play is on April 18. It's been a lousy situation for the team over the last 3 to 4 weeks.

Assuming we can safely return to play it becomes fun to have a look at some kids for the first time as well as some new additions.

So, on a positive belief that all goes okay with the restart, who do you really look forward to getting a look at?

• Cheers 2

Lind, he'll be a pending rfa soon so it's important that we get a look at what we've got. I expect more of the same from Juolevi, which is just fine, and maybe Rathbone will get a look. 

I figure Gadjovich is left to thrive at the AHL level, he's been playing well. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

This year, probably Juolevi (we need to see what we have in him moving forward)/ Rathbone (he's doing well in the AHL but who knows if he has Hughes' ability at the NHL level)/ Vesey (would be good to see what we have in him)/ Lind (same question mark, not sure what his upside is at the highest level).  Long term no question IMO, Podkolzin, whichever of him or Hoglander ends up on the 3rd line (presuming Green keeps Pearson with Horvat) will have the vision and passing from the wing to help the team gel, along with a responsible two-way game and the ability to drive to the net.  Hope that helps the 3rd unit gel and maybe Roussel and Sutter wouldn't be such duds.

• Upvote 1

Neat thread.

I feel like Rathbone has the highest ceiling, so I'm most excited for him, but I'm also eager to see of Podz will be NHL ready soon or if he might need some AHL time. I don't really see the KHL as much different than the AHL though, so I'm hoping he's NHL-ready.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Neat thread.

I feel like Rathbone has the highest ceiling, so I'm most excited for him, but I'm also eager to see of Podz will be NHL ready soon or if he might need some AHL time. I don't really see the KHL as much different than the AHL though, so I'm hoping he's NHL-ready.

KHL and AHL used to be close in quality, but that was quite some time ago (a decade or more), KHL now is considered a better league by quite a margin (although it's also faded a little since their cap came in), the AHL has faded even more.   Podz is the only blue chip slam dunk we have left in our pool. 

I'm most excited this year to see what all the fuss is about Rathbone, he's  moved way up our prospect depth chart and like to see what he can do.   Podz is the only Canuck left that currently ranks in the top hundred by THN - at 12, down two spots which had more to do about other players and his concussion then anything (missing time)...only QHs and EP have managed the same or better ranking (1 and 10).   BB low 20's,  OJ and Demko in the 20's a couple times too.   None of our other guys made the top 100 list that just came out.    But Rathbone was ranked 2 on our team.     The Hockey Writers had Woo 85ish though, to start the year, and Rathbone/Woo have formed a solid pairing off the hop which is encouraging.  OJ and Hogs THN doesn't include anymore, feel they've both graduated, which is great news for the team.    Article also felt that 4 of our top 5 guys would be playing in the NHL next season. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

i'm interested is seeing, who will be our bottom six next year? especially if roussel is bought out and beag's starts in ir next year.  rathbone was my pick but i'm interested is seeing how this team is constructed going forward. i would like 3 scoring lines, defensively strong and one checking line. also a more effective defense. can boyd and highmore be motte clones?

• Vintage 1

Imo, a rookie will have to do force his way to the line up cause this staff is not very fond of playing an unknown rookie versus a vet.    Also, if the rookie dresses there is no guarantee he will see any legit minutes; ofcourse, if the team was competing for a playoff spot then play the vets but this season is a wash - so why not, play the rookie(s) in preparation for next year and showcase the future for the fans but (good chance) JB will double down with an expensive mentoring type (bottom 6) support type player to shelter the rookies (or take minutes away).  

Preferably, it would had been nice to see OJ get a legit chance like Chatfield did in this shorten season; I guess, if he is pencilled in for a spot next year, OJ will just have to learn in the NHL level when he gets his ice time next year (?).  

Edited by ShawnAntoski