The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks first 6 games back will determine there Playoff chances

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Do You Believe the Canucks Can still make the Playoffs  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now that the Canucks have a much more firm date of return, I thought it would be fun to get back to talking about what we would be talking about, the up coming playoff picture.

Now I know that some of you have already written them off and to be honest I did to before the Covid outbreak. I am not delusional, I do realize that it would take a great run for the Canucks to make the playoffs. But I have been analyzing both the Canucks and Canadians schedule and I have started to change my mind about the Canucks playoff Chances. It seems that the Die hard fans of this forum who haven't given up on them might be right. 

Let me explain what is I see in the Schedule that might change your mind

As it stands Van has 4 games in hand on MTL but MTL has 12pts on Van. 

(interesting note if both teams where tied at seasons end depending on how the remaining games play out both teams have a path to the playoffs through tiebreakers. But if all games where won or lost in regulation or the Canucks managed to win more games in regulation then MTL, the Canucks would have the 1st and 2nd tiebreakers This is due to MTL having so many loser points. MTL only holds the 3rd Tiebreaker game results played against each other).

As I stated in the Title The Canucks first 6 games will determine their playoff chances. Here is why

Van plays Tor twice and Ott 4 times. that's 6 games no back to backs for the first 6 games. 

MTL plays 7 games in the same period, 1 Against Ott tonight (this is a back to back as they played yesterday). 2 against Edm 3 against Cal and 1 against Tor ( note, the Canucks play Tor the next day so the Canucks get Tor on a back to back but this is the Canucks first Back to Back the first game being against Ott).

For the Canucks to have any chance of making the playoffs I predict that Minimally they would have to split the first two Games against Tor and win all 4 games against Ott for a record of   5-1. I believe this is do able. The Canucks will have two games to get the rust off against Tor and should be fired up against a team they know they can beat and have dominated all season In OTT. The hardest part of this task will be the Canucks finding a win against Tor. Hard but not impossible.

Second part of this is MTL of course. Since returning MTL has been playing .500 hockey. I believe this is in part of their very condensed schedule. The Canucks had been playing far more games to start the season and MTL last half of the season was much more condensed then the Canucks to start with. After their Covid outbreak their Schedule became much more condensed and I believe it is starting to show in their play. 

It doesn't get better for MTL they have 15 game in 26 days while the Canucks have 19 games in 32 days

If MTL goes 3-4 in their next 7 games which I Believe is a very good possibility. Their records would look like this 

Van 21-19-3 45pts 43 games played with 13 games remaining

Mtl 22-17-9 53 pts 48 games play with 8 games remaining therefore leaving the Canucks 5 games in hand. 

If MTL Keeps playing at .500 hockey then their record would be 26-21-9 61pts. 

Then in the Canucks last 13 games of hockey they would need to go 8-5 for a record of 29-24-3 61 pts. 

I would just like to finish this topic reminding everyone about the Great run the Canucks made in last Seasons playoffs after they had a long break. If Demko is up to this Challenge as I believe he is The Canucks will make the Playoffs.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Now that the Canucks have a much more firm date of return, I thought it would be fun to get back to talking about what we would be talking about, the up coming playoff picture.

Now I know that some of you have already written them off and to be honest I did to before the Covid outbreak. I am not delusional, I do realize that it would take a great run for the Canucks to make the playoffs. But I have been analyzing both the Canucks and Canadians schedule and I have started to change my mind about the Canucks playoff Chances. It seems that the Die hard fans of this forum who haven't given up on them might be right. 

As it stands Van has 6 games in hand on MTL but MTL has 12pts on Van. simple math states 6*2=12 thus if the Canucks can win all 6 games in hand they would tie MTL and it would come down to tie breakers.

(interesting note if both teams where tied at seasons end depending on how the remaining games play out both teams have a path to the playoffs through tiebreakers. But if all games where won or lost in regulation or the Canucks managed to win more games in regulation then MTL, the Canucks would have the 1st and 2nd tiebreakers This is due to MTL having so many loser points. MTL only holds the 3rd Tiebreaker game results played against each other).

As I stated in the Title The Canucks first 6 games will determine their playoff chances. Here is why

Van plays Tor twice and Ott 4 times. that's 6 games no back to backs for the first 6 games. 

MTL plays 7 games in the same period, 1 Against Ott tonight (this is a back to back as they played yesterday). 2 against Edm 3 against Cal and 1 against Tor ( note, the Canucks play Tor the next day so the Canucks get Tor on a back to back but this is the Canucks first Back to Back the first game being against Ott).

For the Canucks to have any chance of making the playoffs I predict that Minimally they would have to split the first two Games against Tor and win all 4 games against Ott for a record of   5-1. I believe this is do able. The Canucks will have two games to get the rust off against Tor and should be fired up against a team they know they can beat and have dominated all season In OTT. The hardest part of this task will be the Canucks finding a win against Tor. Hard but not impossible.

Second part of this is MTL of course. Since returning MTL has been playing .500 hockey. I believe this is in part of their very condensed schedule. The Canucks had been playing far more games to start the season and MTL last half of the season was much more condensed then the Canucks to start with. After their Covid outbreak their Schedule became much more condensed and I believe it is starting to show in their play. 

It doesn't get better for MTL they have 15 game in 26 days while the Canucks have 19 games in 32 days

If MTL goes 3-4 in their next 7 games which I Believe is a very good possibility. Their records would look like this 

Mtl 22-17-9 53 pts 48 games play with 8 games remaining therefore leaving the Canucks 5 games in hand. 

Then in the Canucks last 13 games of hockey they would need to go 8-5 for a record of 29-24-3 61 pts. 

I would just like to finish this topic reminding everyone about the Great run the Canucks made in last Seasons playoffs after they had a long break. If Demko is up to this Challenge as I believe he is The Canucks will make the Playoffs.

It's not happening, man. Demko would have to play out of his goddamn mind, and I'm not even sure if playing out of this world for 19 games is going to do it. The team dug its grave early in the season, to be honest. After such a poor start, they could not climb out of that. There was just no way, and then the health of the players have been hit pretty hard with COVID, so I'm not sure how that's going to affect their on ice performance. I'm not even sure if Demko was affected by COVID, if he was, the chances nose dive from whatever low percentage we had to begin with to make the postseason. I just want this season to be done, so that the players can recover, rest, and get back to it next season, when I assume and hope, we'll be back in the arena watching live games again (one can hope). 

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Didn't you tell us all that we were eliminated a few months ago?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Please just stop. Just STOP 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It is about where we select in the draft. Not about some imaginary playoff run.

Petey needs to get healthy. The rest of the club is coming off covid. 

Please stop the nonsense of a playoff run.

Play some kids.

• Cheers 2

To be honest, I don’t think we will make the playoffs and I say this with utmost respect.

Recovering from Covid + almost a month without having played + so much ground to make will be a near impossible task.   Oh yeah + no Pettersson.

My hope for the remainder of the season is that everyone can stay health and that there are no long term health effects to anyone on our team that had contracted covid19.   

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

For sure the first six games will likely determine IF we still have a chance.   Said this a few times on other posts.   I'm not so sure it's that doable though.   Remember how each game against OTT got harder and harder to win last time?  They managed 40 or more shots on us twice i think.   That sort of intensity might be too much to expect.   Who knows.   For sure if we come out if 5-1 and MTL 2-2-2 we will be within striking distance.    League did us a favour as far as our playoffs hopes go, with six home games and four against OTT.     This is in the realm of Captain Obvious though isn't it? 

It's hockey and you never know what will happen, but without EP a covid.   Let's just say we'd probably have a Hart trophy this year in Demko if it happens. 

• Cheers 2

I am not expecting a playoff appearance for the team this year. at all   It almost seems futile for them to "battle" after their COVID "battle" knowing the likelihood of making it is so extremely thin.  

I voted yes because I feel the first few games will set a tone in how much they do exert into this.  If they miraculously win a bunch in a row, it'll spark something.  If they don't (which is more likely) then they can just ease off, bring guys in to get through the duration and focus on staying getting healthy.

This year was a "well, we tried" fustercluck of a year.

• Cheers 1

I wouldn't try more then 60-70% down the stretch here. Not worth the potential adverse effects to their health. I personally would be calling up my entire utica team. lol.

probably wouldn't be good for all the kids to be exposed to a crazy losing skid tho lol

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

To be honest, I don’t think we will make the playoffs and I say this with utmost respect.

Recovering from Covid + almost a month without having played + so much ground to make will be a near impossible task.   Oh yeah + no Pettersson.

My hope for the remainder of the season is that everyone can stay health and that there are no long term health effects to anyone on our team that had contracted covid19.   

And Beagle :ph34r:

Not that i have any real faith in our chances, but does anyone else think passing edmonton might be easier than montreal? We have 5 games in hand and 5 games against edmonton vs 4 games against montreal and zero against them. It would require winning every game against edmonton but we have to win almost every game either way

Edited by Hamhuis Hip Check

8 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

SinfulReasonableHyracotherium.gif

• Haha 1

I'm fine if we do miraculously go for a run, though was hoping more that the season could just be cancelled since they'd be recovering from a team-wide Covid situation, plus Schmidt's still out with it, who knows how recovered the guys are (and if our stars like Demko, Hughes and Horvat still feel it), not to mention Petey is also out.

Hopefully our patchwork defense with Rathbone, Sautner, Rafferty, Chatfield... behind Hughes/ Myers/ Edler are ready to go, and that the team wouldn't have more injury issues.  Strong play from Lind (if he plays), Highmore and Vesey would be icing on the cake too.  That being said, I'm not expecting many wins or qualification, just that they keep beating the Sens and get good experience for the kids. 

Edited by Phil_314