The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim the Scout, not the Asset Manager

Rate this topic

Makaramel MacKhiato

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Tons of picks moved around this year.........

5 - 1st, 3 - 2nds, countless, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths and even a 7th

Covid, did not really change too much at the TDL

Most of our team had Covid. Let's ignore that part. Sounds like a player wouldn't waive because of the Covid situation so we don't know what may have been coming back.

27 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have to agree with the author

To me, what the author is saying is that Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Jacob, Markstrom, Chris Tanev, and Tyler Toffoli should have brought us something in important asset recovery. Now, I know Toffoli came in as part of our last playoff race, but his cost ( Madden, 2020 2nd, and a 4th?) is the equivalent, and part of the point.

If you look, at these players, they are all, stars and all would have brought some form of Toffoli equivalent. All for the sake of a playoff march, or even earlier, when no such thing was in sight.

Put into the argument Eriksson, who was brought in when everyone of us knew, we were declining and there is alot of room for questioning Benning's decisions in this regard. 

Add to that Pearson, for what the author thinks would have been a 2nd rounder, and you can easily see, we are certainly short more than a few potential assets.

Now, bringing in Miller (a 1st) and Myers, help bring us 1 trip to the playoffs, BUT, and that is a big BUT! The little experience we gained from a playoff appearance, has been lost, when we let them all walk away...............something, again we knew was going to happen, regardless of the Flat Cap cause by Covid. We knew Markstrom would ask in the area of 6 million, and without covid, Tanev would have been asking for more, same for Toffoli, so we absolutely knew, we were loosing high end players.

Basically, we knew, we were not making the playoffs, a second year in a row, something underlined by Benning's comments about taking a step back, because we could not keep everybody.

So...........sure, we may have kept the Sedin's......Ok, I get that.......I don't agree, but I get it, but why give Edler a NTC? Why handcuff yourself, except, to be able to make the excuse. 

Benning has thrown away, multiple assets for nothing.............excluding the Sedin's and but including Miller, Edler, Marrkstrom, Pearson, Tanev and Toffoli, we have give up, a sum equal to approx. 1st, 5-2nds, Madden and a 4th..............sure there is argument they would not have all come through, but if 1/2 had, plus the extra cap we would have had, we have lost too much. which has been my point all along.

Now, we are looking at Myers, Pearson, Miller and Schmidt, all equal to 2nd round picks or more, and a second opportunity to move them, what will happen in the future? This again is what the author is getting at.

The loss of multiple assets (Picks/ELC's/UFA's) will this continue to be the norm?

Shawn Matthias always made me mad.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Most of our team had Covid. Let's ignore that part. Sounds like a player wouldn't waive because of the Covid situation so we don't know what may have been coming back.

I get that RW, but I am more talking about an overall problem, rather than this particular year.........I understand the Covid dilemma 

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Did GMJB graduate high-school?

I am in agreement with what the author suggested

JB has been a great drafter...........and IMO a great person...........

Just have a problem with his asset management and UFA signings

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

The thing is Bennings drafts are producing talent at a level this organization has not seen too often.

So as much as fans complain about his managing of the roster, we badly need the talent that he’s able to find in the draft.

The Aquilinis see this and will give him more time to find talent before a new GM comes in and takes the team to the next level.

This is actually a interesting view. The Aqlns are shifty tycoons. 

I honestly think the best solution is to just hire a president to look over or assist him in asset management. Let’s be real with ourselves guys, he really shoots himself in the foot with his contract signing pen. It’s like one of those James Bond pens that can shoot bullets and that sucker goes off as soon as the contract is signed and the pen is headed for the top pocket.  

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't think of anything he's done that sounds like this. 

I’ve seen how he handled both Loui and Dahlen. It is far from diplomatic and his way is trying to save face on others expence. 
How he try to diminish people that are on their way out of the organisation. The scout that was the reason we got Petey on top of my head. You over there reading all news must have a bunch more. 

We got the situations around Brackett and Linden it would be interesting to make a bit journalistic digging in. 

11 hours ago, crobar said:

Gotta admit Jake and Pearson  out,Toffo  in does look like better asset management.

Well said.   TT with 32 Points - Top points getter on his team .   Lazy Jake 4 Points (barely 1 more than some goalies even got - LOL)  all this for roughly $1.5M difference.   What was JB thinking?   Another dumb A$$ decision !!!!

Ditto for Pearson.  He and ALL of our bottom 6 must be/should have been purged.  They are the worst bottom 6 in the league and getting slower. older, can't score and almost worthless.   I'm not impressed with JB resigning Pearson.  it makes me nervous he's going to do the same with the rest of the deadwood contracts that are expiring this year and next and go on one his infamous Loui Eriksson / Lazy Jake contract signing rampages.    If he has any family jewels he'll try to get anything he can for any of them or let them walk after contract expiration.  Otherwise nothing will change and we'll continue on our steady path as a bottom sucking team like the last several years.

Time for change! 

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

What is a 2nd round pick?  It's a less than 1 in 4 chance at an NHL player. 

Sure, Benning loves picks and is great at drafting but he also understands this reality.

This reality is something that many fans completely miss.

The reality is the only time that they had a success with an age gap piece who had low value instead of a pick is Motte.

Tyler Motte. A fourth liner.

This is an organization with bad pro scouting.

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

What is a 2nd round pick?  It's a less than 1 in 4 chance at an NHL player. 

Sure, Benning loves picks and is great at drafting but he also understands this reality.

This reality is something that many fans completely miss.

2nd round picks is where you can find the best players in the drafts... It's where you can find the Kucherovs, the Webers, the O'reillys, the Ahos, the Debrincats, and the Josis. Sure they may not turn out to be anything... but they can also turn out to be the picks that win you the cup. That's a good risk when trading a Pearson. 

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have to agree with the author

To me, what the author is saying is that Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Jacob, Markstrom, Chris Tanev, and Tyler Toffoli should have brought us something in important asset recovery. Now, I know Toffoli came in as part of our last playoff race, but his cost ( Madden, 2020 2nd, and a 4th?) is the equivalent, and part of the point.

If you look, at these players, they are all, stars and all would have brought some form of Toffoli equivalent. All for the sake of a playoff march, or even earlier, when no such thing was in sight.

Put into the argument Eriksson, who was brought in when everyone of us knew, we were declining and there is alot of room for questioning Benning's decisions in this regard. 

Add to that Pearson, for what the author thinks would have been a 2nd rounder, and you can easily see, we are certainly short more than a few potential assets.

Now, bringing in Miller (a 1st) and Myers, help bring us 1 trip to the playoffs, BUT, and that is a big BUT! The little experience we gained from a playoff appearance, has been lost, when we let them all walk away...............something, again we knew was going to happen, regardless of the Flat Cap cause by Covid. We knew Markstrom would ask in the area of 6 million, and without covid, Tanev would have been asking for more, same for Toffoli, so we absolutely knew, we were loosing high end players.

Basically, we knew, we were not making the playoffs, a second year in a row, something underlined by Benning's comments about taking a step back, because we could not keep everybody.

So...........sure, we may have kept the Sedin's......Ok, I get that.......I don't agree, but I get it, but why give Edler a NTC? Why handcuff yourself, except, to be able to make the excuse. 

Benning has thrown away, multiple assets for nothing.............excluding the Sedin's and but including Miller, Edler, Marrkstrom, Pearson, Tanev and Toffoli, we have give up, a sum equal to approx. 1st, 5-2nds, Madden and a 4th..............sure there is argument they would not have all come through, but if 1/2 had, plus the extra cap we would have had, we have lost too much. which has been my point all along.

Now, we are looking at Myers, Pearson, Miller and Schmidt, all equal to 2nd round picks or more, and a second opportunity to move them, what will happen in the future? This again is what the author is getting at.

The loss of multiple assets (Picks/ELC's/UFA's) will this continue to be the norm?

I agree with this completely. 

I hate to talk about Tanev and Markstrom again... but at that time, we needed to assess the team. Jim KNEW that he could only keep one of Markstrom or Demko. Letting one of those elite level goalies walk for nothing is crippling. He should have figured out the one he wanted and traded the other for a return. That's part of asset management. 
He also should've figured out that he wouldn't be able to afford Tanev (by again... discussing before the trade deadline) and tried to get a return for him. 

I was shocked when I realized Benning hasn't traded for a top 90 pick in 5 years. No doubt, he has picked incredible players for our team... why not trade for more picks to try to capitalize on his strengths?!

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm tired of reading the Toffoli crap. We were pre- Covid when the deal was made. Daly announced that the cap was going up by 3-6 million depending on the NHLPA and the escrow percentage. Not only did Covid take away revenue and freeze the cap, but it dropped the bottom out of the worth of certain players. These were the players we were going to deal. Their Playoff performances would have made them attractive to other teams in any other season. So now, not only has their value dropped (because of the Covid effect) but other teams don't have the cap room to acquire players.

Covid excuse isn't a good one IMO. Yes that was a factor but other GM's seemed to navigate around the Covid situation very well. Toronto and Montreal are the examples in the North Division. The reason why Benning couldn't do anything was because, mostly, of his past mistakes.

As one person in the media said. Benning was acting like a person who was collecting money from his inheritance, he didn't use his money very well thinking there's always plenty of it until suddenly he was cut off from his inheritance. 

13 hours ago, crobar said:

Gotta admit Jake and Pearson  out,Toffo  in does look like better asset management.

I forgave Jim everything until he flubbed it with Toffoli.

That was the one too many for me.

He was too much of a Charlie Brown and he let Lucy pull the football away one too many times to be forgiven.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Covid excuse isn't a good one IMO. Yes that was a factor but other GM's seemed to navigate around the Covid situation very well. Toronto and Montreal are the examples in the North Division.

Exactly. What? They didn't have Covid in Montreal?

Jim could have found 4.2 for Toffoli.

Like crobar says - Virtanen and Pearson. Save 6. 2 mill more or less, plus he could have got picks, maybe even a prospect.

Edited by John_Guest
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

He was too much of a Charlie Brown and he let Lucy pull the football away one too many times to be forgiven.

I wonder who is Lucy though. The Agents representing the players, the other GM's ? 

Something tells me Benning has a reputation for being an easy person to negotiate with among these folks.

12 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Well its true. He has been terrible in asset management . 

Here is a good laugh for all you folks

Toffoli 21 goals 4.5 hit

Beagle, LE, pearson, myers, roussel, sutter, jake, 22 goals 28.6 million hit 

We will not go anywhere with this idiot as GM. 

I think it just really amount to this. The numbers don't do any favors for Benning. 

Even if we take out the d-men you are still looking at 22.6 Million (and this doesn't even take into account Sven Baertschi ).

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hate to break it to a portion of this fan base but this team isn't going to be a contender until Pettersson and Hughes are in their primes and guys like Juolevi, Rathbone, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Woo etc, etc have more miles under their skates. An extra $5m or whatever of cap space this year wasn't changing that. Horvat and Boeser are really our only 'kids' that are remotely ready to contend. And Boeser, really only as of this year. 

If so the why did Benning trade for players like Toffoli and Miller last season? If it's going to take that time for the team to be a contender then why give away picks or prospects (who could have helped more long term) for a rental and a player whose contract expires expires once he's in his 30's and before those prime years hit?