Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim the Scout, not the Asset Manager

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

We made the playoffs that first year, though.  So there was a quick rebound, at least regular reason wise.
 

I think the plan was to sign Loui and Ryan Miler and keep the Twins around to be in that borderline-playoff spot for a few years. Aquilini gets his playoff revenue, the twins get another kick or two at the can and JB gets a few seasons to refresh the prospect pool before the wheels fall off.
 

Unfortunately the Twins and Loui flopped harder than anyone predicted (funny how that always happens to us) and we were in no shape to promote younger guys to carry the load.

Sorry I can't agree with that Vcr missed the play-off twice in the previous ten season and after the one and out the first year we never made it back until last year. We missed the play-offs 2 in 6 seasons.

 

Vancouver Canucks Playoff History | 1971 - 2020 (champsorchumps.us)

 

Edited by Fred65
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aGENT said:

No, we didn't 'go for it'. We made a reasonable, measured, push. Proven out as a solid tactic given that we pushed through 3 very good teams to game 7 of the second round.

 

'Going for it' would have entailed selling off the likes of Podkolzin, Rathbone etc in a silly attempt to force a run at the expense of long term success.

Well aGent

We will have to agree to disagree

 

I have felt that Benning has started to go for it twice. The first time was the year that Boeser was picked and last year. Both times there were indicators before hand and afterwards. 

 

Both IMO, were premature.........Signing Eriksson was a poor choice, as he had had only one career year before the Canucks signed him, and IMO did not warrant the raise in pay, nor being chased by us.........this was a Benning/Aqualini/Sedin thing, and I was against it then, and it has shown to be a extremely poor decision, and the Gudbranson trade, which again, was premature, and bad scouting. but the trade and the signing were a targeted because Benning thought he was on his way. It cost us assets, and Cap, and with that more obtainable assets, or rather the ability to re-sign other assets.

 

Now, the second one was #1 Miller (who I think is a decent Hockey player) and #2 Myers, who is average at best, and again their Cap space cost us other assets. As well I will include Toffoli as a asset that has cost us (Madden and a 2nd and a 4th), and again we were too premature in obtaining these assets.

 

If, we would have stayed down, and not picked those assets up, we would have stayed down, and had improved position, which could have resulted in the same picks or better, and we would of had better picks in other rounds. We would also have had different assets. 

 

I also question Benning's ability to have to sign UFA's to longer contracts when other GM's are able to sign players to 1,2, and 3 year contracts, many times without NTC's. It is simply one of Benning's weaknesses.

 

Benning is an incredible drafter, and for that he has been held high for, by me and others. His long term planning has been suspect at best.

 

His handling of his signed assets, has been dismal at best. 

 

You are entitled to your opinion, and I will respect it, but I have one also, and so far, history has proven me right. I do think we have a tremendous prospect pool (including our young pro's Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, etc) and Benning should get credit for those players. But IMO, his handling of coaching staff, Tryamkin, Cap, UFA signings has been terrible. 

 

Do I think we are close.....yes 2 years away...this one and next, then we will be a playoff team, 3 or 4 years before we are a contender.......all a result of his drafting not his signings or trades, or timing.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think what is not being understood here is that it is very obvious that Cup teams are built through the draft............

 

Look at Carolina, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, etc.........soon to be Ottawa, and once Edmonton got their management in order, look at them as well.......................

 

All, built with picks...............all have or will had long runs

 

Look at Boston, and how they have built a strong , continually strong competing strong club......all with good scouting and strong picks

 

None of these clubs, just let their assets walk for nothing..................

 

The funny thing is once at the top, they then use excess assets to restock their mid 6 players..............not their bottom players and not their top players...............all the while

 

continually using the draft to replenish that pipeline

 

This is what Benning either jumps the gun on or refuses to do.............this is what IMO, he is weak on

JB had never had a top team to do this with.   Ok he did once but couldn't, his hands were tied.   So we don't know if he's weak at it yet do we? 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well aGent

We will have to agree to disagree

 

I have felt that Benning has started to go for it twice. The first time was the year that Boeser was picked and last year. Both times there were indicators before hand and afterwards. 

 

Both IMO, were premature.........Signing Eriksson was a poor choice, as he had had only one career year before the Canucks signed him, and IMO did not warrant the raise in pay, nor being chased by us.........this was a Benning/Aqualini/Sedin thing, and I was against it then, and it has shown to be a extremely poor decision, and the Gudbranson trade, which again, was premature, and bad scouting. but the trade and the signing were a targeted because Benning thought he was on his way. It cost us assets, and Cap, and with that more obtainable assets, or rather the ability to re-sign other assets.

 

Now, the second one was #1 Miller (who I think is a decent Hockey player) and #2 Myers, who is average at best, and again their Cap space cost us other assets. As well I will include Toffoli as a asset that has cost us (Madden and a 2nd and a 4th), and again we were too premature in obtaining these assets.

 

If, we would have stayed down, and not picked those assets up, we would have stayed down, and had improved position, which could have resulted in the same picks or better, and we would of had better picks in other rounds. We would also have had different assets. 

 

I also question Benning's ability to have to sign UFA's to longer contracts when other GM's are able to sign players to 1,2, and 3 year contracts, many times without NTC's. It is simply one of Benning's weaknesses.

 

Benning is an incredible drafter, and for that he has been held high for, by me and others. His long term planning has been suspect at best.

 

His handling of his signed assets, has been dismal at best. 

 

You are entitled to your opinion, and I will respect it, but I have one also, and so far, history has proven me right. I do think we have a tremendous prospect pool (including our young pro's Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, etc) and Benning should get credit for those players. But IMO, his handling of coaching staff, Tryamkin, Cap, UFA signings has been terrible. 

 

Do I think we are close.....yes 2 years away...this one and next, then we will be a playoff team, 3 or 4 years before we are a contender.......all a result of his drafting not his signings or trades, or timing.

Why would picking BB get him so excited to go for it?   He's wasn't that highly touted.  He was a late first with lots of flaws except shooting.   To me at least, it was all about the Sedins, as a cloak to appease the fanbase, to do his "re-tool" with very logical excuses (MG era says enough, NMC/NTC and nobody except ... wait for it ... Hutton and Horvat in the pipe).  He's shown he's a much better assessment of talent during the draft and development stage then anyone else aside from Milford in our entire history ....and probably even him.    LE signing was promoted as a thing to go with the 33ish year old Sedins.   Magic re-united.   A lot of fans fell for it but not all.   And really LE had some great seasons and some of us got excited.   He's towed the media line all along.   Dim Jim people just don't get it (yet).   It's a front.   Ok i'm just making some suppositions here.   But maybe, just maybe, he did it on purpose - both to show ownership they were deluded, and some fans too.   We simply sucked after Kesler and co were gone and it wasn't a matter of time, it was right in our face and most informed fans new it

 

And just maybe that was the plan since the start.   Id bet if JB did an IQ test it would be in the low 140's.   These guys don't just "get a job because well who else is around".     Just let me ask anyone this question.   If JB started in 2018 and was the head scout before that, would anyone have an issue with how things have gone?   Doubt it.    Somehow he squeeked out of last off season smelling like roses... well expect for the tangent that we didn't keep TT.   Wait a year and revisit that.    I don't think he's a GM guru, but sure think he's a lot better then 2/3 of what else is out there.    Put in am impossible positing to succeed from the hop, somehow survived it - and look where we are now. When the dusts settles with Holland/Yzerman and Wilson, then we can properly judge what JB has done.   Until then it's just talk and opinion. 

 

 

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Grape said:

It's 2021. Are people really still rejecting analytics?

 

I guess it makes sense because hockey is by far the least analytically progressive of the "Big 4" sport leagues in North America. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL has more former players in management positions than all three of the other league's combined. Other sports seem to have realized that it's not necessary to have played an outdated form of the sport 20 years ago to become a successful GM, while hockey still holds on to those who "know and breathe and live hockey." That's going to change in a hurry as better analytic tools start getting developed, and you'll see more of these "dweebs" in high end positions.

 

 

not all analytics are the same. Evolution Hockey's stuff is HOT GARBAGE IMO. jordie benn is our 2 best GAR producer on our team, and 75% of it comes from offence. for RAPM players stats are penalized for playing with the same teammates and players who play little time are rewarded/subtracted points to bring them closer to average.

 

what i like about elite hockeys QOC metrics and WOODWOWY is you can compare who plays against who and who thier teammates are.

what I have found out is myers plays more EV minutes with my two favorite forwards Gaudette and Beagle.

Gaudette plays about 55% of his minutes with myers. Beagle plays about 40% with myers.

 

I'm also not really sure whose linemate myers is. he generally out with schmidt and benn the most but benn and schmidt play more minutes with hughes and edler. myers also plays with edler and hughes too more than any other defenceman, except schmidt/edler, hughes/benn and hughes/hamonic

 

frankly myers just 'exists" always out there, constantly retrieving the puck with beagle and cursing gaudette for giving him the courtesy of not having a winger down low in thier own end.

 

if you wonder why myers analytics are so bad, blame green.

 

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

not all analytics are the same. Evolution Hockey's stuff is HOT GARBAGE IMO. jordie benn is our 2 best GAR producer on our team, and 75% of it comes from offence. for RAPM players stats are penalized for playing with the same teammates and players who play little time are rewarded/subtracted points to bring them closer to average.

 

what i like about elite hockeys QOC metrics and WOODWOWY is you can compare who plays against who and who thier teammates are.

what I have found out is myers plays more EV minutes with my two favorite forwards Gaudette and Beagle.

Gaudette plays about 55% of his minutes with myers. Beagle plays about 40% with myers.

 

I'm also not really sure whose linemate myers is. he generally out with schmidt and benn the most but benn and schmidt play more minutes with hughes and edler. myers also plays with edler and hughes too more than any other defenceman, except schmidt/edler, hughes/benn and hughes/hamonic

 

frankly myers just 'exists" always out there, constantly retrieving the puck with beagle and cursing gaudette for giving him the courtesy of not having a winger down low in thier own end.

 

if you wonder why myers analytics are so bad, blame green.

 

I agree with this.   A lot of analytics are just tools and that's it.    They aren't useless at all but is pretty much lost interest when WAR declared the grand old Alex Steen the best player in the NHL years ago ..... simply dumb. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well aGent

We will have to agree to disagree

 

I have felt that Benning has started to go for it twice. The first time was the year that Boeser was picked and last year. Both times there were indicators before hand and afterwards. 

 

Both IMO, were premature.........Signing Eriksson was a poor choice, as he had had only one career year before the Canucks signed him, and IMO did not warrant the raise in pay, nor being chased by us.........this was a Benning/Aqualini/Sedin thing, and I was against it then, and it has shown to be a extremely poor decision, and the Gudbranson trade, which again, was premature, and bad scouting. but the trade and the signing were a targeted because Benning thought he was on his way. It cost us assets, and Cap, and with that more obtainable assets, or rather the ability to re-sign other assets.

I have zero desire to beat the dead horses of past individual moves.

 

Eriksson was a poor choice, I didn't want him either.

 

I don't think Benning thought he was 'on his way' at all with Gudbranson. That's hilarious :lol:

 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Now, the second one was #1 Miller (who I think is a decent Hockey player) and #2 Myers, who is average at best, and again their Cap space cost us other assets. As well I will include Toffoli as a asset that has cost us (Madden and a 2nd and a 4th), and again we were too premature in obtaining these assets.

Only a dolt wouldn't trade for Miller again. ALWAYS improve. And again, Toffoli was a measured push, not remotely 'going for it' That's just silly.

 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

 

If, we would have stayed down, and not picked those assets up, we would have stayed down, and had improved position, which could have resulted in the same picks or better, and we would of had better picks in other rounds. We would also have had different assets. 

Our prospects also might have gotten buried, crashed and burned or asked for trades out. Hypotheticals are fun!

 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I also question Benning's ability to have to sign UFA's to longer contracts when other GM's are able to sign players to 1,2, and 3 year contracts, many times without NTC's. It is simply one of Benning's weaknesses.

You mean the reasons we let guys like Tanev and Markstrom walk and signed guys like Hamonic to a 1 year deal, Pearson to a short 3 year deal etc...Yet people are still whining and complaining. Funny...almost like people are just complaining to complain...

 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Benning is an incredible drafter, and for that he has been held high for, by me and others. His long term planning has been suspect at best.

Completely disagree, I think hi long term planning is going to make us a pretty scary team to deal with over the next couple years and for the next 5+ after.

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

His handling of his signed assets, has been dismal at best. 

You still haven't shown your work here. Old man yells at cloud.

 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

You are entitled to your opinion, and I will respect it, but I have one also, and so far, history has proven me right. I do think we have a tremendous prospect pool (including our young pro's Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, etc) and Benning should get credit for those players. But IMO, his handling of coaching staff, Tryamkin, Cap, UFA signings has been terrible. 

History has proven little other than that we were a poor (expected), rebuilding team and that Benning has roughly the same hit/miss record as you'd expect from any GM. This market and our media hyper-focus on this team and any minor issues, mountaining them in to the mole hills they are.

 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Do I think we are close.....yes 2 years away...this one and next, then we will be a playoff team, 3 or 4 years before we are a contender.......all a result of his drafting not his signings or trades, or timing.

Disagree, guys like Miller, Schmidt, Pearson etc can all continue to be solid parts of this team the next few years. Have zero issue with any of them. Can't wait for us to re-sign Sutter as well and listen to all the ridiculous whining on here again. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grape said:

It's 2021. Are people really still rejecting analytics?

Surprised Benning is embracing it actually. He seems to always been more old school and less inclined on the Analytics side of things 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Can you ever remember the Canuck org re-building thru the draft like this team? I can't in 50 years. When some fans get frustrated with those who patiently wait for Benning's picks to mature I think they miss a lot of the org's history. Granted there are no guarantees and there will be misses. No GM can guarantee the psychology or physical development of a prospect. Combine that with the compatibility amongst players. At the end of the day you can ice the best team possible and still lose.  

I can’t recall the org doing it’s very best (cap rosters) not to (build through the draft). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Surprised Benning is embracing it actually. He seems to always been more old school and less inclined on the Analytics side of things 

I know he comes across as a country bumpkin-type, but he’s been surrounded by progressive hockey management for decades now.  He doesn’t strike me as old school, even though he looks like Elmer Fudd. Taking EP and QH over old school guys in the drafts were evidence enough of that. 
 

I actually like Benning, the man.  He’d be welcome around my fire any time. 

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@aGENT

 

I enjoy this part of the discussion aGENT, but it comes down to what I think compared to what you think.............I am good with what you think, it is your opinion
 

My opinion is different, but just as right..........they are opinions...........worth about a nickel at a 5 and dime store

 

But my opinion is not an opinion only I support, many hockey people agree with me.........

 

There are plenty of issues that Benning has not looked good on, just as I will commend him on how he has designed his scouting staff and how he has drafted 

 

I totally accept where we are at as a hockey club, and will be the first person to commend Benning on getting us here.

 

But to think his handling of assets, other than drafting, has been good, would be foolish

 

I tire of people who say other wise..............there are far too many examples, to start listing them all again.

 

And I will say that Miller was a good trade, and that Schmidt was a good and lucky trade. Pearson was also a decent trade. But if you look at his whole body of work

 

you can not be supportive of his decisions in that regard. Again, drafting is a different matter, but would it not have been nice to have a few more picks with.

 

It is not fair to look back and judge him personally, but the decisions of the club are fair game. 

 

Looking forward, which is where I prefer to dwell, my opinion is that Miller, Schmidt, and Myers will not be core pieces of any cup we win, and will be starting to slide

 

over the next 2 to 3 years. It is my opinion. I would rather Benning took a more aggressive stance on moving our remaining over aged assets (Looking forward)

 

I find your attitude in regards to my opinions condescending, and you not acknowledging any of my points, not in the mood of good debate..........nor a good argument

 

for winning your points...............

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

@aGENT

 

I enjoy this part of the discussion aGENT, but it comes down to what I think compared to what you think.............I am good with what you think, it is your opinion
 

My opinion is different, but just as right..........they are opinions...........worth about a nickel at a 5 and dime store

 

But my opinion is not an opinion only I support, many hockey people agree with me.........

 

There are plenty of issues that Benning has not looked good on, just as I will commend him on how he has designed his scouting staff and how he has drafted 

 

I totally accept where we are at as a hockey club, and will be the first person to commend Benning on getting us here.

 

But to think his handling of assets, other than drafting, has been good, would be foolish

 

I tire of people who say other wise..............there are far too many examples, to start listing them all again.

 

And I will say that Miller was a good trade, and that Schmidt was a good and lucky trade. Pearson was also a decent trade. But if you look at his whole body of work

 

you can not be supportive of his decisions in that regard. Again, drafting is a different matter, but would it not have been nice to have a few more picks with.

 

It is not fair to look back and judge him personally, but the decisions of the club are fair game. 

 

Looking forward, which is where I prefer to dwell, my opinion is that Miller, Schmidt, and Myers will not be core pieces of any cup we win, and will be starting to slide

 

over the next 2 to 3 years. It is my opinion. I would rather Benning took a more aggressive stance on moving our remaining over aged assets (Looking forward)

 

I find your attitude in regards to my opinions condescending, and you not acknowledging any of my points, not in the mood of good debate..........nor a good argument

 

for winning your points...............

Sorry Jan, i just have zero appetite to endlessly rehash the past 'Benning-minutia horse' that's been beaten and reanimated and beaten and reanimated so many times on this board and frankly far more than it should have been for how much it's effected the bigger picture (not much).

 

That and most of your points are baseless other than an appeal to media 'authority'. For example, I asked you to show your work on where Benning fell for moving 50% realistic, expiring players... Still waiting...

 

I've posted about this elsewhere but I get it... Some people wanted a #asset management/'trade all the vets' rebuild here. IMO, for numerous reasons, it was NEVER happening. You'll be a happier person when you realize that and learn to look at our rebuild through that lens, enjoying what's been/being built here despite some perceived 'inefficiencies'. From day one, Benning has made supporting whatever the NHL team was, to the best of his ability, in the context of a greater rebuild, a priority. Accept it.

 

I also think your crowd seriously underestimate the value of having some of both those 'inefficient' mentoring vets and the sacrificial lamb 'warm bodies' here in the depths of the rebuild. It meant not rushing the kids that will be our new team, showing them how to be pros and also taking a lot of the performance weight, and corresponding media/fan vitriol, off their shoulders. Invaluable IMO. Let the media and fans scream at Gagner, if it means not screaming way Boeser.

 

But yeah, we didn't get a late 4th rounder for a vet three years ago. Even though we have a deep pool of the type of players found there regardless of that 'error'... It's a 'huge loss' #fire Benning :bored:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry Jan, i just have zero appetite to endlessly rehash the past 'Benning-minutia horse' that's been beaten and reanimated and beaten and reanimated so many times on this board and frankly far more than it should have been for how much it's effected the bigger picture (not much).

 

That and most of your points are baseless other than an appeal to media 'authority'. For example, I asked you to show your work on where Benning fell for moving 50% realistic, expiring players... Still waiting...

 

I've posted about this elsewhere but I get it... Some people wanted a #asset management/'trade all the vets' rebuild here. IMO, for numerous reasons, it was NEVER happening. You'll be a happier person when you realize that and learn to look at our rebuild through that lens, enjoying what's been/being built here despite some perceived 'inefficiencies'. From day one, Benning has made supporting whatever the NHL team was, to the best of his ability, in the context of a greater rebuild, a priority. Accept it.

 

I also think your crowd seriously underestimate the value of having some of both those 'inefficient' mentoring vets and the sacrificial lamb 'warm bodies' here in the depths of the rebuild. It meant not rushing the kids that will be our new team, showing them how to be pros and also taking a lot of the performance weight, and corresponding media/fan vitriol, off their shoulders. Invaluable IMO. Let the media and fans scream at Gagner, if it means not screaming way Boeser.

 

But yeah, we didn't get a late 4th rounder for a vet three years ago. Even though we have a deep pool of the type of players found there regardless of that 'error'... It's a 'huge loss' #fire Benning :bored:

 

It is not that easy..................Read the name of the post...that is what I am responding to............

 

But lets take this last year from the summer on............and you tell me if this is good management

 

#1..........Tight to the Cap

#2..........Oh I know we will go after OEL..Gives an ultimatum trade me or I don't wave

#3..........Markstrom signs with Calgary....

#4..........Tanev signs with Calgary............states he could not wait any longer, got a take it or leave it, last minute offer

#5...........Toffoli signs with Montreal..........states that he could not wait for Benning any longer

#6...........Trades with Vegas for Schmidt* (Benning was so friggin lucky!)

#7...........Tells Tryamkin to wait.....no money........

 

To me, in what ever order you want to place it in reeks of an inability to keep ahead of the game

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

 

It is not that easy..................Read the name of the post...that is what I am responding to............

 

But lets take this last year from the summer on............and you tell me if this is good management

 

#1..........Tight to the Cap

#2..........Oh I know we will go after OEL..Gives an ultimatum trade me or I don't wave

#3..........Markstrom signs with Calgary....

#4..........Tanev signs with Calgary............states he could not wait any longer, got a take it or leave it, last minute offer

#5...........Toffoli signs with Montreal..........states that he could not wait for Benning any longer

#6...........Trades with Vegas for Schmidt* (Benning was so friggin lucky!)

#7...........Tells Tryamkin to wait.....no money........

 

To me, in what ever order you want to place it in reeks of an inability to keep ahead of the game

I will also state............and I like Pearson, that there will be better UFA's that sign for less this summer, and maybe before this Expansion draft

It's not a bad contract.....but again, we could replace this summer or re-sign him this summer, and we missed out on a pick at the TDL or the possibility of one

Some conjecture.....sure........sue me!

Edited by janisahockeynut
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

 

It is not that easy..................Read the name of the post...that is what I am responding to............

 

But lets take this last year from the summer on............and you tell me if this is good management

 

#1..........Tight to the Cap

 

Like the majority of teams. And?

 

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

#2..........Oh I know we will go after OEL..Gives an ultimatum trade me or I don't wave:rolleyes:

Impossible to judge without knowing the potential deal. If there was retention and/or Eriksson going back to balance cap, I'd happily make that deal.

 

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

#3..........Markstrom signs with Calgary....

 

Almost no chance Markstrom was ever coming back. I knew that last year.

 

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

#4..........Tanev signs with Calgary............states he could not wait any longer, got a take it or leave it, last minute offer

 

And? Rather have Schmidt. Benning had to wait for AP to sign before getting Schmidt. Far better use of cap space. You guys would have hated the the contract he got in Calgary and we should have in no way signed him to that.

 

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

#5...........Toffoli signs with Montreal..........states that he could not wait for Benning any longer

 

You may have noticed a global pandemic happened and Benning was working to clear cap. Toffoli didn't want to wait (his prerogative) and signed with his childhood dream team. Unfortunate, sure. Hardly evidence of supposed to incompetence. 

 

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

#6...........Trades with Vegas for Schmidt* (Benning was so friggin lucky!)

Ah the classic everything bad is his fault, everything good is sheer dumb luck 

 

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

#7...........Tells Tryamkin to wait.....no money........

Not what happened. Tryamkin didn't want to risk not paying hockey for 1.5 years as well nobody even knew if there was going to be an NHL season at that point. Also saves us from having him be an ED exposure risk. Perfect.

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

 

Like the majority of teams. And?

 

Impossible to judge without knowing the potential deal. If there was retention and/or Eriksson going back to balance cap, I'd happily make that deal.

 

 

Almost no chance Markstrom was ever coming back. I knew that last year.

 

 

And? Rather have Schmidt. Benning had to wait for AP to sign before getting Schmidt. Far better use of cap space. You guys would have hated the the contract he got in Calgary and we should have in no way signed him to that.

 

 

You may have noticed a global pandemic happened and Benning was working to clear cap. Toffoli didn't want to wait (his prerogative) and signed with his childhood dream team. Unfortunate, sure. Hardly evidence of supposed to incompetence. 

 

Ah the classic everything bad is his fault, everything good is sheer dumb luck 

 

Not what happened. Tryamkin didn't want to risk not paying hockey for 1.5 years as well nobody even knew if there was going to be an NHL season at that point. Also saves us from having him be an ED exposure risk. Perfect.

 

Benning's past moves dictated his present moves...........

He had 12 + million not playing hockey

OEL again a long term contract of an old hockey player

Schmidt was a last minute trade deal, which originated by AP setting a deadline and having no other suitor

Toffoli was looking at a shrinking market, which would have effected his contract size if he passed on Montreal

Tryamkin wanted to sign this year.so said his agent, but he could not wait either

 

Look, if you don't want to accept my argument fine............

 

It does not appear we will be changing each other mind...............have a great day!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Benning's past moves dictated his present moves...........

He had 12 + million not playing hockey

OEL again a long term contract of an old hockey player

Schmidt was a last minute trade deal, which originated by AP setting a deadline and having no other suitor

Toffoli was looking at a shrinking market, which would have effected his contract size if he passed on Montreal

Tryamkin wanted to sign this year.so said his agent, but he could not wait either

 

Look, if you don't want to accept my argument fine............

 

It does not appear we will be changing each other mind...............have a great day!

 

Probably not, I don't subscribe to half truth, false narratives, melodrama, conjecture and hyperbole.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

not all analytics are the same. Evolution Hockey's stuff is HOT GARBAGE IMO. jordie benn is our 2 best GAR producer on our team, and 75% of it comes from offence. for RAPM players stats are penalized for playing with the same teammates and players who play little time are rewarded/subtracted points to bring them closer to average.

 

what i like about elite hockeys QOC metrics and WOODWOWY is you can compare who plays against who and who thier teammates are.

what I have found out is myers plays more EV minutes with my two favorite forwards Gaudette and Beagle.

Gaudette plays about 55% of his minutes with myers. Beagle plays about 40% with myers.

 

I'm also not really sure whose linemate myers is. he generally out with schmidt and benn the most but benn and schmidt play more minutes with hughes and edler. myers also plays with edler and hughes too more than any other defenceman, except schmidt/edler, hughes/benn and hughes/hamonic

 

frankly myers just 'exists" always out there, constantly retrieving the puck with beagle and cursing gaudette for giving him the courtesy of not having a winger down low in thier own end.

 

if you wonder why myers analytics are so bad, blame green.

 

This makes a lot of sense.  I might poke around that site - sounds like the kind of stuff I’d like to dig into.
 

Myers plays a ton of minutes but kind of rotates around with different partners.  Also not surprising to see him okay a lot with Gaudette, who seriously struggled this year.  
 

Not an easy task this season. 
 

Of course, no one in the media or blogosphere bothers looking into the “why” of Myers’ numbers.  When you can post a jfresh chart and reference his salary you can get all the interaction you need without any real thought. 

  • Vintage 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Give it a break...........

Reality?

 

There's no break from that Chico.

 

I've countered... I've lost count on how many of your 'points' and asked you to back up literally anything rather than just relying on media driven narrative and...

 

alt-5a8f2aef44513-4922-a8566d24a1fff9cf6

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...